Remember Scrumdown

Nice one. I remember Warrington too, but not that Leigh game. Lost in the mists of time for me that one ;)

Yes, you are right about TV coverage. Slim pickings they were then. Much better now.

Was circa 1981/1982 when Leigh were one of the top sides. It features on this video at 1.09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaxkDikoLLI

Edited by Scubby

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep Huddersfield v wigan  march 1981  it was on rl action  .

lewis jones was the guest that day  and he was not happy with wigans style of thuggery

tony Johnson of Huddersfield was targeted in particular by wigan

watched it again last week 

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

yep Huddersfield v wigan  march 1981  it was on rl action  .

lewis jones was the guest that day  and he was not happy with wigans style of thuggery

tony Johnson of Huddersfield was targeted in particular by wigan

watched it again last week 

Now that's one that I'd like to watch again - I bet it would make even us old 'uns flinch a bit!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Hi guy's,

I am in Brisbane Australia and have heaps of old games on VHS and now converted to DVD of old games on scrumdown. My mate lives in Bradford and used to tape what he could when he got a good signal. I would say at a guess I have over 100 games. Salford, Wakefield and Wigan always seemed to get the games on TV, however I have some cracker games of Hull KR, FAX and Warrington. Sometimes they would show the lower divisions in which I have a few inlcuding Featherstone, Dewsbury and Workington Town. I knew one day fans would want to see these old games again as I grew up watching this excellent programme too thanks to my mate.

John Helm and David Watkins were pure magic in the commentary, that alone was worth watching!!

Does anybody remember an episode and I think it was around the xmas period in the early 90's maybe 1991 when the end credits showed aussie and NZ players only playing their trade in the UK in snow, rain, etc... and they would pan back into a shot of Bondi Beach with surfers etc...... John Monie and a few players wished everybody a merry xmas. I think with him were Greg Mackey, Paul Bishop and Tea Ropati from memory.

Why would you revive a thread from 2007? random!

f3gms4.jpg

thought it would be obvious that  he revived the thread trying to get people to exchange  rl dvds   I would have thought  he is a collector of rl dvds  as there are quite a number of us out there

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

The only vhs I've got is also Oldham v Featherstone at sheddings. Was it scrum down that also aired that memorable team talk, I think it was Leigh v Featherstone, were the coach said let's' flippin' get out there and' flippin' stuff these' flippin' dirty 'Yorkshire b words'? Heh heh heh was up there with Henry v motivating speach at agincourt.

Top man - thanks!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

The only vhs I've got is also Oldham v Featherstone at sheddings. Was it scrum down that also aired that memorable team talk, I think it was Leigh v Featherstone, were the coach said let's' flippin' get out there and' flippin' stuff these' flippin' dirty 'Yorkshire b words'? Heh heh heh was up there with Henry v motivating speach at agincourt.

the match was fev v widnes and the coaach was one of the hulme boys, david i think

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

i know fev won, but can't remember the score

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

The season Widnes won the league with the decider against Wigan I think their last three games were all on Scrumdown, away at Hull KR, away at Cas in midweek and then home to Wigan. I taped all three for my wife's uncle as he was away that week and pushed the vhs through his door.

He stayed away from any newspapers so he wouldn't see the results and had an entertaining couple of hours on his return.

Two main memories - watching the occasional shows when my dad was reffing and taking the ###### out of his thinning hair, and seeing St John Ellis diving over the line for Cas with his tackle (like, everything) flopping out of his shorts. From memory, he had nothing to be ashamed of.