Food and drink thread

31 minutes ago, EggFace said:

R.I.P. Pubs but I ain't going to pay £4.50 for a pint of Real Ale and £5.10 for a Lager Shandy.

Welcome, intrepid time-traveller from the Nineties!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A new mutation of the Wigan Kebab, spotted in the wild.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Potato, mashed with smoked butter, is very very good indeed. Oh boy...

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

I would definately have one of these (if I could be arsed going to a footy match).

If only out of curiosity, so would I. If it was actually any good, so much the better!

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

I just cooked a rump roast of... horse!
The bit I had hot (with peas, Parmentier potatoes and onion gravy) was delicious, and there's plenty left for cold-cuts in sandwiches.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I just cooked a rump roast of... horse!
The bit I had hot (with peas, Parmentier potatoes and onion gravy) was delicious, and there's plenty left for cold-cuts in sandwiches.

The sandwiches have been good too. 🙂 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 09/07/2023 at 17:20, Stirlin said:

Horseradish condiment ? , sorry could not resist 😶

:kolobok_biggrin: Well, I used English mustard, which does have horseradish in it, so fairly appropriate.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've known about Malted Milk biscuits for years, but only just stumbled upon the chocolate-coated ones. Oh my, they're nice!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever happened to egg and cress? 

I've just come back from shopping. I love egg mayo sandwiches and frequently buy egg mayo sandwich fillers and its occurred to me recently that you never seem to see egg and cress these days, it is always egg mayo. 20 years ago just about every egg sandwich you saw had cress in as well but they never do now.

So what's that all about?? 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've just come back from shopping. I love egg mayo sandwiches and frequently buy egg mayo sandwich fillers and its occurred to me recently that you never seem to see egg and cress these days, it is always egg mayo. 20 years ago just about every egg sandwich you saw had cress in as well but they never do now.

I just wanted to say - I love your name.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Egg and cress is a rare thing. The cress sticks in your teeth but is good for the flavour.

I just tried Jersey Black Butter for the first time and I love it! It doesn't contain any butter and is vegan-friendly as far as I can tell.

Also, the honey mustard crisps made by the Inessence brand were a big hit with the family.

https://www.maisondejersey.com/products/jersey-black-butter 

https://www.greatfoodaffairs.com/product/inessence-honey-mustard-125g-x-9-bags/ 

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was at my sister's place on Saturday, and they have a clay pizza oven that my brother-in-law built. Freshly-cooked wood fired pizzas with three different toppings - a great meal!

It takes a couple of hours to get up to really high heat, so in order not to be wasteful, they put a whole leg of lamb in a covered pan with stock, to slowly cook in the embers overnight. Sadly, that was destined for the freezer, not Sunday's evening meal.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've just been to the butchers and got myself a haggis. I've never had one before and just fancied trying it. I can't see myself not liking it cos I like all meat. 

A good haggis is a fine thing. A bad haggis tends to be bland, rather than actively nasty.

MacSween are the best of the regular brands you see in supermarkets.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A good haggis is a fine thing. A bad haggis tends to be bland, rather than actively nasty.

I think it's a MacSween I've got. Had to get a frozen one cos the butcher didn't have any fresh so it's defrosting at the moment and I'll be having it tomorrow. 

On 07/05/2023 at 13:49, Futtocks said:

Welcome, intrepid time-traveller from the Nineties!

Wish I was a Time Traveller from the 1990's as I had fun back then.

Observed prices of beer in 3 places and this is the prices and the lousy Goverment has increased prices again.

Local Pubs                                  Social Club                                     Weatherspoons

Real Ale                      £3.40-£4.20                                £3.20                                              £1.77/£2.55

Keg Bitter                   £3.60                                           £3                                                    £1.96

Guinness                    £5.20                                           £3.70                                               £3.11/£3.32

Bog Lager                  £4.20                                           £2.80/£3.20                                    £2.34/£2.77

Premiun Lager           £5.50                                           £3.80                                               £3.51/£3.61

Craft IPA                    £6.50                                            N/A                                                  £2.88/£3.61   

On 10/08/2023 at 13:25, Futtocks said:

I've had my haggis. 

Futtocks mate, let me tell you, it has immediately become one of my favourite foods! Oh my God, it was magnificent! One of the tastiest things I have ever consumed and the rest of the family weren't that keen so I could finish theirs off as well! 😁

It was so smooth, almost like a thick yoghurt slipping down my throat and so, so flavoursome! Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! I've already got in touch with a mate of mine who lives in Edinburgh and told him to bring me an authentic one from a Scottish butcher! 😂

What a glorious food haggis is!