Food and drink thread

19 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There must be one of those intimidatingly-long compound words in German for "the curry you cooked that you were certain would be much hotter than you intended, but somehow ended up pretty much as hoped".
Tasting it after an hour in the slow cooker caused some anxiety, but it all settled down a bit by the time I served it up. The heat was still there, but not as sharp.

Inderfridgeputinderbogrollquickasyouliken

• Haha 2

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an odd mixture, driven by “best before” dates - braised eel in black bean sauce, bubble & squeak, smoked burrata and rocket & almond pesto.
It sort of worked. Enough that I might even do (most of) it again, only deliberately.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, hindle xiii said:

Octopus carpaccio and lumpfish caviar.

Oh Lidl.

For a shop whose reputation is based on affordability, Lidl can be pretty nuts at times.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Back home at last, now the train strikes are done (for now).
Booze gifts: M&S Port, M&S Orange & Cranberry gin liqueur (in a lighty-up bottle).

Plus 4 beers from Tempest Brewing Co. of Tweedbank:
1. The Old Parochial (barrel-aged imperial scotch ale) 13% 
2. Marmalade on Rye (double rye IPA) 9%
3. Pale Armadillo (IPA) 3.8%
4. Cold Wave (dry hopped pilsner) 4.8%

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 09/01/2023 at 20:22, Futtocks said:

The Old Parochial (barrel-aged imperial scotch ale) 13% 

I had this last night - blimey! Dark, intense and smoky. A beer to be reckoned with.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unexpected costs in food preparation.

Shank of venison - £5.80

...at that price, I was expecting something quite modestly-sized, but...

Handsaw to trim the joint down so it'll actually fit in the slow cooker - £6.99

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just been to the Way2Save shop up the road - one of those high street supermarkets with familiar brands as well as Middle Eastern and Eastern European stuff.

Nothing unusual in that... except I've lived in this area since the mid-Nineties and for more than half of that time, this shop has had an "OPENING SOON!" sign outside. They finally opened last week.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Proof positive that the French footballer Gérard Piqué is not from Workington. Or Whitehaven. Or something. Maybe.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The legendary Billy McGinty/John Major "pineapple ring" moment, at 28m05s into this video.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pretty much concluding my journey through the entire range of Koskenkorva vodkas, I have just taken delivery of their version infused with lemon, lime and yarrow. Rather nice with tonic.

Unfortunately, availability of their espresso vodka seems a little iffy. Sometimes it isn't in stock and last time I ordered it, I got their salmiakki (salted liquorice) version instead. That may be a personal favourite, but but not when I was expecting the coffee one.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have some chunks of goat marinating in a Jamaican curry paste over night, and a pack of Clay Oven Bakery naans ready to grill.

What with that and a delivery from Virgin Wines, I reckon my Saturday night is sorted.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo, a barrel-aged beer from the Smith brother* who was better at brewing than marketing. Not cheap, but a beer of considerable presence.

*John, of course, being the opposite.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I made curry goat in the slow cooker last night - very nice and there's enough left for Monday night too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Just been in a fav Real Ale pub and it was quite depressing as a pint of Ale has went up 30p and used to have 10 handfuls for Ale only (always thought it was too many) but now only 4 available and it had only a handful of people in plus it's a freehouse.

It's seeing a lot of my favourite watering holes are either too pricey, closed and or modern day flats :),even Weatherspoon's have put a price of Real from £2.29 to £2.46 but it was still busy as the prices are still good.

Anyone not happy like me ?

12 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Anyone not happy like me ?

You are on a Rugby League forum. That makes you the token ray of happy sunshine.

• Haha 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just got back from Borough Market and one of the things I bought was a 'Blue Brain' cheese, which I've been meaning to try for ages. They let me taste a sample before buying and it's great! Rich, creamy and spreadably soft.

little-blue-brain.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I just got back from Borough Market and one of the things I bought was a 'Blue Brain' cheese, which I've been meaning to try for ages. They let me taste a sample before buying and it's great! Rich, creamy and spreadably soft.

little-blue-brain.jpg

Also in the shopping bag: Morcilla de Burgos (Spanish black pudding with rice), pigeon breasts, venison faggots and a tin of cassoulet plus a few other bits and pieces.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Linked in Jay Rayner's latest restaurant column (but sadly not reviewed), the menu for 'California English' is... quite a read!

https://www.californiaenglishsd.com/food-menu 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Check out the sleight of hand involved in buying an icecream!

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

My dad just sent me this link: https://www.onlinebutcher.co.uk/exotic-meats 

I have created an account and will be placing an order, probably next week.

Ralph Waldo Emerson