Josh Dugan

Darius Boyd

Lachlan Coote

Matt Bowen

Anthony Minichiello

Preston Campbell

Lance Hohaia

Luke Patten

Paul Wellens would never be chosen over any of the above ten by any NRL club.

The only bright spots for England are the possible repositioning of Sam Tomkins (thereby weakening the halves) or else promotion of the Melbourne-trained Gareth Widdop.

Why are English full backs so unimpressive in attack?

It is a long historical oddity. Perhaps it is a result of the soggy grounds on which rugby league used to be played in winter. Australians had firmer grounds, which favoured agile and fleet footed runners. Yet after fourteen years of summer rugby league, England has been unable to produce a top quality attacking and defensive full back.

So the question still remains without a satisfactory answer.

The lack of classy full backs, along with the lack of classy attacking centres, is the main reason why England cannot beat Australia in a three match series or in a Tri Nations or a World Cup.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to give it to you Paris, you've got my nomination for the David Platt award this year

You act out the part so well, that I almost believe you're for real :D

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Ten best full backs in the world, based on current form:

Billy Slater

Jarryd Hayne

Josh Dugan

Darius Boyd

Lachlan Coote

Matt Bowen

Anthony Minichiello

Preston Campbell

Lance Hohaia

Luke Patten

The only bright spots for England are the possible repositioning of Sam Tomkins (thereby weakening the halves) or else promotion of the Melbourne-trained Gareth Widdop.

It is a long historical oddity. Perhaps it is a result of the soggy grounds on which rugby league used to be played in winter. Australians had firmer grounds, which favoured agile and fleet footed runners. Yet after fourteen years of summer rugby league, England has been unable to produce a top quality attacking and defensive full back.

The lack of classy full backs, along with the lack of classy attacking centres, is the main reason why England cannot beat Australia in a three match series or in a Tri Nations or a World Cup.

No argument with those placings , although Tompkins could well find himself placed highly in the grouping were he to be named and play consistently in the future at FB.

However there is an anomaly in the fact that you quote the soggy grounds syndrome as a fact that our Fbs do not have the attacking and backing-up abilities of the S/Hemi ones.

That being that the instigator of that utilisation was recognised as being Martin Ryan, of Wigan and G/B fame in the 40s and 50s.

There were a large amount of home bred FBs who continued with that trend for a great many years after.

Billy Slater

Jarryd Hayne

Josh Dugan

Darius Boyd

Lachlan Coote

Matt Bowen

Anthony Minichiello

Preston Campbell

Lance Hohaia

Luke Patten

You're such a bore!

what a ######ing ###### you are, the ###### you chat is so ######ing boring.

go ###### yourself on the aussie forum and have a great thomas the tank you bobby munt

Now,now, peace, love and harmony on the forum please, we don't want a repeat of last night, do we! ;)

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Now,now, peace, love and harmony on the forum please, we don't want a repeat of last night, do we! ;)

just deleted it and now all can see..... o well he is such a boring bobby munt.

aussie / kiwi / PI nations are the best all the rest are just ........ well just not good enough.

well if thats the case, i just wish he watched the NRL and never ever commented on our ESL

slightly off topic but having watched Tomkins' defense 1 on 1 against Leeds no way should he be playing full back. I'd bet wellens and mathers to name 2 would've stopped Donald from scoring.

On topic how does Radlinski fit into Paris' arguement?

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

To be fair he is correct. The best fullback in the NRL are vastly superior to ours. I am not sure I agree with his rankings and would have Matt Bowen lower and possibly not have the General who has not been at his best in 2010. There are some NRL fullbacks that maybe should be on the list that are not. Gardener at Cronulla and Hoffman at the Broncos for example. If he wasn't injured Stewart would be on the list. It will be interesting to see how Barba goes at FB next season.

The best fullback in SL and the best attacking FB I have seen in 30+ years of watching Wigan was the pre injury Amos Roberts. He was prior to injury as good as anything in the NRL. Sam Tomkins has potential but I prefer him at 6. Kyle Eastmond similarly can play superbly at FB and it may reduce his injuries. Richard Owen has potential but will get shunted to the win I daresay in 2011.

Edited by Allan Marsden

Billy Slater

Jarryd Hayne

Josh Dugan

Darius Boyd

Lachlan Coote

Matt Bowen

Anthony Minichiello

Preston Campbell

Lance Hohaia

Luke Patten

Do you lie in bed every night pleasuring yourself while uttering the words " I love aussie's they're the greatest players in ther world, I love aussie's they're the greatest players in the world....." or maybe " Ooohhh Billy please catch my balls" :D

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

It is a valid point, though the messenger has so much previous that PMJ's default reaction is fair and reasonable.

I think it is likely that Sam will play a lot at 1 over the next couple of years and then come back and settle at 6 (where he plays a fair bit during games he starts at 1 in any event). With Myler's career going rapidly into reverse, we need Sam to play alongside Eastmond at 6 for now. Widdop looks plenty good enough to me, but I can't see much back up. I thought Owen looked like he could really step up, such a shame he was so badly injured and that Mathers will block his way next year.

slightly off topic but having watched Tomkins' defense 1 on 1 against Leeds no way should he be playing full back. I'd bet wellens and mathers to name 2 would've stopped Donald from scoring.

yeah but when ever have wellens or mathers picked the ball up from dummy half,side stepped a couple and gone 75 yard to score like tomkins did the other week....

a fullbacks primary objective,in international RL,should'nt be defence....

and for the record englands missing world class fullback.......is playing union for northampton

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Billy Slater

Jarryd Hayne

Josh Dugan

Darius Boyd

Lachlan Coote

Matt Bowen

Anthony Minichiello

Preston Campbell

Lance Hohaia

Luke Patten

Because the people who compile these lists have never seen Wayne English play.

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

yeah but when ever have wellens or mathers picked the ball up from dummy half,side stepped a couple and gone 75 yard to score like tomkins did the other week....

a fullbacks primary objective,in international RL,should'nt be defence....

and for the record englands missing world class fullback.......is playing union for northampton

Very true and he was criticised for his defence too. Defence being more than tackling BTW so on that basis Tomkins is very good in some aspects.