Malta vs Belgium - coming to Headingley 21st June

3 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Malta
    • Belgium
    • Draw

Well done Leeds if the other top 3 clubs could do the same it would really stimulate the European game. Help countries boost their profiles and attract extra sponsorship and kudos.

Netherlands, Spain, Norway, Germany, Czech, Serbia,Russia, Ukraine, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Ireland, Latvia, Italy,Bosnia,Greece all other possibilities.

Just to add that this is also Father's Day, so I'll be taking my dad to this

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

• 3 months later...

No word on the squads yet from what I can gather

http://www.therhinos.co.uk/news/26647.php#.VXly5UZR73c

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Just as a note, I've moved a few posts to the below link, as this thread was starting to drift off topic

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/topic/269979-ireland-rugby-league-team-competition-and-potential/page-2

Any ideas on the strength of th Belgium squad

They're a bunch of Belgian lads from Brussels who have been playing more and more consistently over about 18 months. They're not worldbeaters but they are developing the understanding of the game they need. When I first started watching they would consistently be tackled on the last or push the pass in their own twenty.

Since then, the North Brussels Gorillas (who are the base of the squad) won this year's inaugural Belgium-Netherlands Championship (N Brussels, Den Haag, Amsterdam, Rotterdam) and clearly the guys running it are aiming high. They're not an expat team: they're mostly French-speakers with the odd Flemish RU addition.

I hope it's a good game and people get ther early to see them.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

They're a bunch of Belgian lads from Brussels who have been playing more and more consistently over about 18 months. They're not worldbeaters but they are developing the understanding of the game they need. When I first started watching they would consistently be tackled on the last or push the pass in their own twenty.

Since then, the North Brussels Gorillas (who are the base of the squad) won this year's inaugural Belgium-Netherlands Championship (N Brussels, Den Haag, Amsterdam, Rotterdam) and clearly the guys running it are aiming high. They're not an expat team: they're mostly French-speakers with the odd Flemish RU addition.

I hope it's a good game and people get ther early to see them.

..cheers pal

Malta win 35-34 with a late drop goal to win it. Sounds like it must have been a relatively good advert for international RL. Anybody got an estimate of how many were actually in to watch it?

Probably a few hundred at the start, grew to around 1000-1500 by the end.

They had a few French-based players, I believe.

Malta were up 34-18 at one point before Belgium fought it back to 34-34. Belgium scored 1 more try than Malta but were let down by the kicks, with Malta getting the vital DG with about 5 minutes left

Team lists  for you guys who are wondering where the players come from.

Belgium with eight French based players and the rest from Brussels (Gorilla's & Broncos)

Malta hade six UK based players (lower ranked clubs),One from the USA two Aussie's and the rest based on the Island from what I can gather.

BELGIUM
Guillaume Van Der Elst (Brussels Broncos), Karnik Avedikian, Kamel Belkiri, Yann Bertrand, Nicolas Bourgin, Yvan Leroyer, Colin Niez (all Lyon-Villeurbanne Rugby XIII), Adam Bahemou, Jonathan Bouillon, Agim Coroli, Martin Derom, Josquin De Winne, Christopher Eyns, Lelio Guilmard, Iliass Laachiri, Stanley Rogerio, Simon Troquereau (all North Brussels Gorillas), Quentin Leclercq, Damien Parée (both Villegailhenc Aragon RL)

MALTA
Jeremy Dela (Birmingham Bulldogs), James Redman (Central ASA Tigers Aussie ), Justin Barlogio (DC Slayers USA), Jean Pierre Zarb (Eagles RL Malta ???), Jake Lynch (Folly Lane), Paul Parkinson (Gateshead Storm), Joseph Pio Mizzi (Gozo RL), Blake Phillips (Helensburgh Tigers Aussie), Sam Blyton-Keep, Christian Briffa, Peter Debono (all Malta Origin RL), Danny Burke (London Skolars), Kaine Dimech (Medway Dragons), Karl Cassar (Shaw Cross), Malcolm Attard, Julian Caruana, Ed Willis (all Stompers RL)

Everyone I have talked to said it was a very enjoyable and competetive game.

Having just come of the back of the short Belgium Dutch competiton where my club played the Gorilla's in the comp and then the final (18-18 & lost 46-6) I have seen first hand that the North Brussels club and the general outlook of the Belgian game is very encouraging.

An enthusiastic and well organised group.

Malta win 35-34 with a late drop goal to win it. Sounds like it must have been a relatively good advert for international RL. Anybody got an estimate of how many were actually in to watch it?

Travelling the distance we do we weren't able to get there in time to see it but looking at the scoring sequence it sounds a terrific match.

A shame that Sammut couldn't get released from his club, but good for them to win without him and that will have been great news for the London-based player that replaced him

With just a little bit more composure near the line Belgium could easily have won this match, on 2 or 3 occasions a Belgian pass went straight to a Malta player with the line beckoning.

I loved this game, felt very sorry for the Belgian players and staff after all the effort they put in, I'm sure they would have been very happy with a draw.

A shame that Sammut couldn't get released from his club, but good for them to win without him and that will have been great news for the London-based player that replaced him

Not sure that is correct as Sammut didn't sign for Workington until late on Thursday evening and the club were too late registering his signature which prevented him from turning out for them on Sunday against the Bulls.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Not sure that is correct as Sammut didn't sign for Workington until late on Thursday evening and the club were too late registering his signature which prevented him from turning out for them on Sunday against the Bulls.

Maybe they were hopeful of being allowed to play him so didn't release him. I'm just going by a conversation with the Malta coach on Friday. Either way, they got the win

Archived