- Luke George starts in the centre for the Northern Pride in the QCup

BRISBANE RUGBY LEAGUE

-  Mike Bishay starts at 9 for Valleys Diehards

- Olsi Krasniqi starting prop for Wynnum Manly Redland City

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olsi Krasniqi scores in first Qld Cup game

They must have had a late withdrawal because Krasniqi was named to play in the Wynnum Manly BRL side - the next level below Q Cup. Greg Eden also scored a try in a team that also included AUS-born 6-time Welsh international Matt Seamark.

http://www.nrl.com/round-6-intrust-super-cup-wrap/tabid/10874/newsid/85320/default.aspx

However on Brisbane's bayside, it was Wynnum Manly who led 16-6 at the break with the Seagulls extending their lead when Albanian-born prop Olsi Krasniqi found the line in the 51st minute before the home side scored again only minutes later through fullback Daniel Ogden.

Ogden's try was his 100th in the Intrust Super Cup and allowed Wynumm Manly to enjoy a comfortable 28-6 lead with 24 minutes remaining.

It started to look ominous for the Hunters when Brisbane Broncos' English import Greg Eden planted the ball down in the left corner with halfback Matt Seamark steering his conversion inside the right post for a 34-6 lead..........

.........Wynnum Manly Seagulls 36 (Alehana Mara, Mitchell Frei, John Te Reo, Olsi Krasniqi, Daniel Ogden, Greg Eden tries; Matt Seamark 6 goals)

def. PNG Hunters 18 (Esau Siune, Brandy Peter, Israel Eliab tries; Noel Zeming 3 goals) at BMD Kougari Oval, Wynnum. Half-time: Seagulls 16-6. Man of the Match: Mitchell Frei.

ROUND 7

- James Graham ......well we all know the story

- Souths, as usual start with George and have Tom on the bench

- Luke Burgess on the bench for Manly

- Gareth Widdop partners Benji Marshall in the halves for St Geo-Illawarra,

- Mike Cooper was a late withdrawal from the match against the Dogs with a hamstring problem and hasn't been named this week

- Jack Reed at left centre for the Broncos

- Sam Tomkins still injured.........+ we know the rest of this story too

- Josh Hodgson left the field injured last game but Raiders say his scans have been "favourable" and will be given as long as possible to prove his fitness.

- Greg Eden is on the wing for Wynnum Manly, in the Qld Cup

- Ben Crooks is in the centres for Wentworthville Magpies in NSW Cup

- Luke George starts in the centre for the Northern Pride in the QCup

- Olsi Krasniqi on the bench for Wynnum Manly. This is a promotion for Olsi. He played the first weeks of this year in the Wynnum BRL team, one level below this. I don't know whether his elevation is due to injury or form so I guess it's all up to him.

I found a new inclusion this week. Merseysider, former ST Helener and Widnes Viking and member of the Wales 2013 WC squad, Ian Webster is now in his 3rd season with the Central Capras in the Qld Cup.

BRISBANE RUGBY LEAGUE

- Bobbie Goulding Jr named at 7 for Gaters

I can't find Mike Bishay anywhere.

TIM ROBY

- Ref (only 1 in NSW Cup) for Dogs v Manly NSW Cup game Friday

- Standby Touch Judge for Dogs v Manly NRL game on Friday

- Touch Judge for Tigers v Raiders NYC game Sunday

While checking Roby out I found an interesting sub-topic. Under the ref appointments for the NSW Womens League was a note saying:

"Please note that these competitions are managed a little differently and if teams do not have enough players to play 13-a-side then they can still play 11-a-side or 9-a-side, etc. We are a little more flexible on the these arrangements, however the rules in relation to trainers, interchange, etc. are the same."

One of those sadly rare occasions when common sense penetrates the modern world.   

I found a couple more:

- Nick Powley (Hull Dockers) and Dave Wilson (Keyingham Vikings? sounds English) both playing for West Mackay Magpies in Mackay and District RL

If anyone else knows any of their home-grown players Down Under (at any level) feel free to add them to this thread and I'll try to keep track of them.

Latest rumour for St George this week is that Mike Cooper will play, replacing George Rose - now that's a big shirt to fill.

When the teams were named on Tuesday, Cooper was out with a hamstring injury. I hope they aren't skimping on his recovery time.

Found a famous Brit RL name at the Sunshine Coast Falcons. Jon Platt, son of Andy Platt, is in his 5th season with the Coast after starting with Wigan St Pats.  I knew Andy Platt lived in Qld. I dug up this article about Jon Platt from 2010:

HIS father was one of the toughest men to play the game, but Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles prop Jon Platt wants to shape his own future.

Andy Platt was a mainstay in rugby league in the 1990s, playing for England and the Auckland Warriors and winning the Man of Steel award in 1993.

Jon, 22, says he does not want to live in his father’s shadow. He is hoping to announce himself as a quality Queensland Cup forward this year.

“My dad does not really expect anything from me as a footballer, but to become a successful person who can take care of myself,” he said.

“There was a lot of pressure when I was younger but I grew up quickly and became pretty thick-skinned to stuff like that. I learned not to listen to everything that people said.

“There were constant reminders and comparisons with my dad. He moved to Australia and I struggled with it.”

Platt grew up in the English town of Wigan before having stints in New Zealand and Australia.

Following a tour of Australia with St Helens at age 16, he decided to move Down Under and stay with his father.

After two years at Ignatius Park College in Townsville, where he played for Brothers until January last year, he moved to Mackay and played six games with Mackay Brothers. He shifted to Brisbane and finished the year with Norths.

He signed with Sunshine Coast from Norths this year and has forced his way on to the Sea Eagles’ bench for today’s match against Redcliffe.

It has not been all smooth sailing for Platt, with injuries limiting his career.

“I had shin splints, a shoulder reconstruction and my bicep re-attached. I ended up spending nine long months in rehabilitation,” he said.

“I swore that I would never do it again but now that it has been a few years, I would have no worries dealing with the pain and pressure again.”

After a few matches in Queensland’s top competition, Platt feels like he is starting to realise his potential.

“If I could be anywhere in the world, doing anything that I wanted, it would be probably on the Sunshine Coast playing as much Q-Cup as I can, because it is much nicer than Wigan,” he said.

ROUND 8

- James Graham ......still another week or so to go

- Souths, as usual start with George and have Tom on the bench

- Luke Burgess on the bench for Manly

- Gareth Widdop partners Benji Marshall in the halves for St Geo-Illawarra,

- Mike Cooper was a late inclusion last week and played probably his best game yet for the Dragons. Starting prop this week.

- Jack Reed at left centre for the Broncos

- Sam Tomkins still injured

- Josh Hodgson starting hooker for the Raiders, continuing his excellent season

QLD CUP

- Greg Eden is on the wing for Wynnum Manly, in the Qld Cup

- Dean McGilvray debuts this week for the Northern Pride, replacing Luke George who must be injured.

- Luke George - see above

- Olsi Krasniqi keeps his bench spot for Wynnum Manly Seagulls

- former Welsh rep Ian Webster starts at 6 for the Central Capras

Sunshine Coast Falcons have a bye this week so Jon Platt gets a holiday.

NSW CUP

- Ben Crooks is in the centres for Wentworthville Magpies in NSW Cup

BRISBANE RUGBY LEAGUE

- Bobbie Goulding Jr named at 7 for Gaters

Still can't find Mike Bishay anywhere. He must be injured because he seemed to be their mani goalkicker and was scoring tries.

MACKAY AND DISTRICT RL

- Nick Powley (Hull Dockers) and Dave Wilson (Holderness Vikings) I can't find this week's Magpies teams

- Curtis Cunningham (Cardiff Demons) not named this week for Mackay Souths Sharks

TIM ROBY

- Ref (only 1 in NSW Cup) for North Sydney Bears v Manly Sea Eagles on Sunday

Still can't find Mike Bishay anywhere. He must be injured because he seemed to be their mani goalkicker and was scoring tries.

https://twitter.com/mikeybishay

Found Mike Bishays Twitter page, and it looks like he's been doing the sights round Oz, and it looks like his family are visiting him. A few nights in Sydney a couple of weeks ago and Melbourne this past week. He also mentions returning home in May.

I guess Bishay was out here for a holiday and played a few games to keep fit (and maybe check out opportunities for RL out here.) I'm glad he came. He's only 22 and if you're only looking at beer money in a lower-tier English team, why not get some sunshine and play O/S on a working holiday? You're only young once. I believe Jamie Peacock played a season in one of the bush leagues when he was 18 - didn't hurt his career.

Alex Clare, 21 from St Helens Academy and 1 game with Rochdale, is playing with the Whitsunday Brahmans in the Mackay District League.

And here's something I didn't know about Ian Webster: (working for the Central Qld NRL bid)

"Ian Webster, as well as being an integral member of the Capras playing roster, a former English Super League player having played for St Helens and Widnes, and an international player for Wales, is employed as the Bid’s Grasssroots Development Manager. In this role Webby travels around the region engaging with schools and clubs to promote and coach rugby league as part of the CQ NRL Bid Schools’ Program. Webby also manages the Bid’s Elite Junior Development Program and the Scholarship Program."

I guess Bishay was out here for a holiday and played a few games to keep fit (and maybe check out opportunities for RL out here.) I'm glad he came. He's only 22 and if you're only looking at beer money in a lower-tier English team, why not get some sunshine and play O/S on a working holiday? You're only young once. I believe Jamie Peacock played a season in one of the bush leagues when he was 18 - didn't hurt his career.

Yep, Wikipedia says Jamie Peacock played while he was at the University of Wollongong.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yep, Wikipedia says Jamie Peacock played while he was at the University of Wollongong.

It's always been a pretty strong league down in the 'gong. This year they have Trent Waterhouse, Bronx Goodwin, Brett Kearney, Damien Blanch, Daniel Holdsworth and Luke Swain playing and Jason Ryles and Mark Riddell and Chris Leikvoll coaching in the Illawarra league.

Josh Hodgson has been the Raiders best this season.

Great distribution, with only a few wayward passes in 8 rounds. His decision making has been almost flawless. He knows when to run, knows when to pass, knows which side of the ruck to take the play. His long kicking game is excellent. He is also clearly a leader and can see him being future Raiders captain.

His rotation with Kurt Baptiste in these last two games has been unreal. Possibly best in the league.

Representative Round

Nothing happening this week in NRL, NSW Cup or Qld Cup. Brits would have been eligible for the Residents game - NSW Cup v Qld Cup. The only requirement for those teams is a minimum number of games for a State Cup team. I think Greg Eden got 2 tries on the weekend and has been scoring regularly but Qld have gone with Kalifa Fai Fai Loa (Tweed Heads Seagulls) and Javid Bowen (Northern Pride) on the wings.

Brisbane Rugby League teams should be named tomorrow. There might be some Brits there, like Olsi Krasniqi.

Just to confirm about Mike Bishay, he's signed for the London Skolars.

http://www.skolarsrl.com/2015/04/24/bishay-ends-his-australian-expedition-early-to-join-the-skolars/

Bishay grew frustrated at seeing his appearances at first grade restricted, though this was through no fault of his own or any slight on his ability- the Devils are the feeder club to the Brisbane Broncos of the NRL, whose players are prioritised when provided weekly.

BTW, thanks for the updates every week Farmduck. 

It's always been a pretty strong league down in the 'gong. This year they have Trent Waterhouse, Bronx Goodwin, Brett Kearney, Damien Blanch, Daniel Holdsworth and Luke Swain playing and Jason Ryles and Mark Riddell and Chris Leikvoll coaching in the Illawarra league.

What sort of level is the Illawarra comp - I assume it's a level below NSW Cup? I know there's the Sydney Shield and Ron Massey Cup comps in Sydney - are they at a similar level?

It's difficult to gauge the relative strengths of bush comps. NSW used to be divided into 20 Groups, although some have merged, some have become Canberra RL or Illawarra RL. They can't play each other regularly because there are too many.

Illawarra has always overproduced RL talent. One reason is probably the coal mines and steel mills attracted post-war Northern England immigrants. It also had a big dairy industry which tends to produce a lot of big strong lads.

The local league is probably about the same level as the Ron Massey Cup, or Sydney 2nd Div. It's not a bad league for young guys still hoping to reach the big time. I think they only have 6 or 8 teams this year so good performances could get you into the Illawarra Cutters NSW Cup team and then you're playing with spare NRL squad members so people learn your name and see you perform.

Thanks for that Farmduck. I get Rugby League Review sent over from Aus, which has a lot of stuff about the lower leagues in Aus, and it's always interesting to read about players who have previously been over here still doing the rounds.

I guess the main difference with this country is how things like the NSW Cup, Sydney Shield, Ron Massey Cup, and the local comps are all part of that pathway up to the NRL. 

I guess the main difference with this country is how things like the NSW Cup, Sydney Shield, Ron Massey Cup, and the local comps are all part of that pathway up to the NRL. 

Yes I find it a bit strange when SL commentators talk about some player being recruited from the Champs, like it's some rare occurrence. I think, "Duh, where else do players come from?" It seems obvious to me, as an Aussie, that players come from the next level down.

In the Illawarra League, for instance, coaches include Reese Simmons, Jason Ryles and Chris Leikvoll,all ex-St George players. If they find a talented young player they will get straight on the phone to someone at the Dragons to get someone from St George down there for a look.

It's all historical I suppose. Since we've never operated by promotion and relegation, clubs are happy to let their best players move up to the next level.

Archived