Rugby Yawnion WC

ArthurDaley

william-webb-ellis.jpg?w=205

Apparently there is a World cup competition starting in the next few days. I know its Union, but its England.
Hope they do really well, but I cant see them winning it. Don't watch Union but read a few reports on England and I don't think their chances are good. Cant see them beating the southern hemisphere teams. But as a tipster I make a good nuclear scientist. France if they turn up can cause an upset.

Unfortunately I cant see them winning this again.

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

I've got tickets for a couple of matches to be played in Leeds (unfortunately England aren't playing). I'm looking forward to it. I've watched Union internationals at Twickenham and Paris and they have been great occasions. I'd rather watch Union than Association Football.

I've got tickets for a couple of matches to be played in Leeds (unfortunately England aren't playing). I'm looking forward to it. I've watched Union internationals at Twickenham and Paris and they have been great occasions. I'd rather watch Union than Football.

The suits from 'HQ' would have you know that it is football, as governed by the Rugby Football Union!

Ive got tickets for first QF and the final but recent finals have been poor as teams avoid mistakes.  As with the RLWC I avoid those group games where top tier nations compete to see who can score most points against teams with no real history/tradition of the game.  

But the big games are normally great occasions as you say - they remind me of the old Wembley Cup finals (although they had fewer prawn sandwiches/chardonnay).

Not sure how wise it is taking the second test v NZ to London the weekend after the Union final. Where are all these London-based league fans?

Big press in Oz is that Sammy`s coming back to the Bunnies soon and my god don`t they need him. He`s getting married towards the end of the year presumably to an Aussie girl,so that would indicate that it`s just a matter of time,though other reports say he`s going to see his ra ra contract out. Bloody shame he`s playing that stupid game as they love him over here,but money talks and you can`t blame the bloke I guess,though I wouldn`t imagine Russell Crowe`s not without a few hundred million,so hope he can work the oracle like he did a few years ago and Sam back ASAP. 

I suppose those comments could easily be made about the RL national team. The union team do have a pretty good record against the aussies and have played in two of the last three world cup finals. Something the league team could only dream about sadly.

The performance improved after the substitutions and San Burgess had a couple of meanigful runs late on. Yes it was a typical opening game with lots of nervous play but in the end a bonus point win. Sounds like some on here would have preferred a different result.

On the Cup final thread one poster suggested it was bizarre someone posting about a code they dont care about. If the cap fits....

Let me just make this crystal clear - I'd be delighted if England win this comp. Just like I was delighted when we won the Ashes recently. It's great to beat the Aussies and it's great to beat the Welsh ! I want the England team to win in every competition they take part in.

However unless we improve our possession of the ball 100% from last nights showing we won't get near the final. Would you disagree with that ?

Agree Tyrone.  The line passing is poor at times, too lateral with little gain line movement and few angled runners.  Another bad habit is hoisting of the ball and running 20yards forward in atttempt to catch it, rather than run in possession!  Very little passing skills in the forwards too. England did a job (just) though and have too do likewise against Wales and the Aussie (or Fiji give us a helping hand) if they are to emerge from this pool of death.  The overall impression is that England are unsure of which method to play.  Hopefully they will get out of this pool, after which anything can happen. Hope Burgess gets a decent run out too - he made a difference last night and for more than the last 20 minutes could prove a winner. Hopefully Farrell can insist Lancaster starts him against the Aussies!

Bloody hell, talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. When England had the advantage in terms of field position and ball they didn't take advantage of it. We just don't seem to be able to manage the game.

Not kicking for goal at the death was plain stupid. At least our handling was better this time, not so much dropped ball. We still give away penalties for fun however.

At least now we know nothing less than a win against the Aussies will do, unless Wales Implode.

Burgess is wasted in that game, he must have had the ball in his hands about four times.

Archived