Heywood Rd

MancRL

I travelled to Heywood Rd by Tram to the Swinton V Fev game. I found there is a nice little JW Lees pub on the Brooklands Metrolink stop called 'The Brook' from here it was a very short walk to the ground.  There was another pub a few hundred yards away with some Fev supporters drinking outside. I don't know the name of this pub. But it looked like a well run place that served food. 

Heywood Rd stadium itself is a well set out small ground with a nice bar. The main stand with seats gives a good view of the game. The opposite side is a covered standing-stand which is where the singing Swinton fans gathered.

All in all Heywood Rd is easily accessible and more than adequate for Championship Rugby league. It took me 1 hour from leaving the game at the final hooter to being sat in my house in North Manchester using public transport.

So until Swinton build a new home in M27 I'd like to see them remain here and encourage as many fans to watch them at Heywood Rd.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Nice setup lads really enjoyed yesterday, nice pies, £2 a can, pub next door what more can you ask for

looked more than 745 there though, hopefully youll get some good attendences too when the other well supported teams attend

Nice setup lads really enjoyed yesterday, nice pies, £2 a can, pub next door what more can you ask for

looked more than 745 there though, hopefully youll get some good attendences too when the other well supported teams attend

Yeah I guessed around 1200 and was surprised at what was announced.

Crossed the Pennines (strictly as a neutral) to watch Swinton's Heywood Road bow. Not a great game, I felt, because Featherstone won easily. I, too, was a bit surprised to hear the crowd announced as 745 - it seemed more. During the second half, I got talking to an old chap who watches Sale and Sale Sharks. He seemed a bit taken aback by the non-stop nature of rugby league, and reckoned the Lions could attract some new fans whilst at Heywood Road - partly because league is more dynamic than union and partly because the public transport links to Sale are so good. Sale games at Heywood Road generally attract crowds of 400, he said. He clearly new about rugby league because he reflected on what a big club Swinton were, as recently as the Sixties. I haven't been to Heywood Road since 1997. What a great little set-up it is. Should suit Swinton perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived