Man of the match vs halifax

Pink panther

Any radio dwellers hoping for a reasonably accurate commentary on which to form their opinions will be seriously short-changed by the "Gospel according to John Gibson" He is to Rugby League journalism what Joe Cobb is to refereeing. I think we've been blighted by Cobb's incompetence in the past --how he has been allowed to officiate at Super League level is a complete mystery to me (and Dennis Betts). Red Hall might even bust him to the Champ. ranks and with our luck we'll probably get him.

cobb has not been allocated a game this week.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cobb has not been allocated a game this week.

Well there's a surprise!  As a neutral I have to endorse Dennis Betts view that it was the worst Refereeing performance that I can remember. In the post match interviews Chris Chester couldn't keep his face straight, and Betts probably said enough to get him a fine several times more than Cobb's match fee,even though he was bang-on with his verdict. Maybe we could second Cobb to Toronto for next season?

Brian Carney says the RFL must punish Widnes coach Denis Betts for comments he made on Friday about referee Joe Cobb.

Betts slammed the performance of Cobb following his team's defeat to Wakefield, where two players were sent off and three were sin-binned.

The TV pundit said the RFL cannot not allow Betts to get away with his attack.

"Widnes are currently in the worst losing streak any club has had this year and he wasn't able to handle the pressure that brings on Friday night," Carney told Sky.

"He savaged a referee when perhaps the blame lies closer to home. Has he ever used comments like that in private to one of his players about their performance? I doubt it.

"Has he ever had one of his coaching performances described in such terms? I doubt it."

"The RFL can forget about claiming to protect referees if they don't eliminate that type of unfair, bullying and factually incorrect type of verbal assault on a referee.

"While it is most unlike Denis, who is normally circumspect in his analysis of a referee, it is yet another tedious example of blame for defeat being slung unfairly at the feet of officials."

Brian Carney says the RFL must punish Widnes coach Denis Betts for comments he made on Friday about referee Joe Cobb.

Betts slammed the performance of Cobb following his team's defeat to Wakefield, where two players were sent off and three were sin-binned.

The TV pundit said the RFL cannot not allow Betts to get away with his attack.

"Widnes are currently in the worst losing streak any club has had this year and he wasn't able to handle the pressure that brings on Friday night," Carney told Sky.

"He savaged a referee when perhaps the blame lies closer to home. Has he ever used comments like that in private to one of his players about their performance? I doubt it.

"Has he ever had one of his coaching performances described in such terms? I doubt it."

"The RFL can forget about claiming to protect referees if they don't eliminate that type of unfair, bullying and factually incorrect type of verbal assault on a referee.

"While it is most unlike Denis, who is normally circumspect in his analysis of a referee, it is yet another tedious example of blame for defeat being slung unfairly at the feet of officials."

As a Sky sycophant and well paid apologist for both Red Hall and Super League I attach little credibility to Carney's statement. Betts was never a whinger as a player and neither as a coach. I've been watching the game for long enough to know when I've seen a garbage referee (had plenty of practise).Ironically Denis will probably cop a fine while the ex-punt and grunt merchant -Carney -can spout his drivel without fear of censure. 

if you go on the total rugby league forum you ll see a few of us had a go at mr.cobb for his handling of the wigan v huddersfield game a week earlier , a game which paul anderson wasn t too happy about his performance either , mr cobbs performance at widnes should not have come as such a surprise .

Joe Cobb was influenced by John Bateman the Wigan captain at half time as the teams were coming off the field. Wane got Bateman to have a word in Cobbs ear about the speed of the ptb and clearance of rucks, and apparently in the second half he referreed very differently and penalised Hudds out of the game

Cobb should have been stronger and told Bateman where to go and reffed how he wanted to ref. Instead he looked weak. That's when he should have been demoted for a few games, would have saved Betts a fine

The referee did not put a guys legs above his head , he did not run in and start punching, he did not put a high shot on a player or neither drag and punch the opposition . He never stuck his leg out and tripped anyone.  but hang on ? he makes some poor decisions and he is the cause of these professional players actions.Cobb  isn't the best (to say the least) , but in the championship players deal with poor decisions week in week out which change games and could end up with them losing money they rely on - do we see a reaction like that ? not that i've seen this year. I say  get off their backs and let them do there job - good or bad ,  In fact I was at the Wigan Hudds game and to be honest Hudds where dominant in contact in the first half and that's why they won the PTB - sweet fa to do with Mr Cobb

The referee did not put a guys legs above his head , he did not run in and start punching, he did not put a high shot on a player or neither drag and punch the opposition . He never stuck his leg out and tripped anyone.  but hang on ? he makes some poor decisions and he is the cause of these professional players actions.Cobb  isn't the best (to say the least) , but in the championship players deal with poor decisions week in week out which change games and could end up with them losing money they rely on - do we see a reaction like that ? not that i've seen this year. I say  get off their backs and let them do there job - good or bad ,  In fact I was at the Wigan Hudds game and to be honest Hudds where dominant in contact in the first half and that's why they won the PTB - sweet fa to do with Mr Cobb

The reason that all the mayhem you describe occurred is that the game was refereed by a guy who is woefully out of his depth and, as Onreport has suggested,only gets the gigs because he is willing to go full time. Time and time again I've seen games descend into chaos because of weak, inconsistent officials who lack the cojones to assert their authority from the start and Cobb fits that profile perfectly. The last thing this referee deserves is a ringing endorsement from the likes of you and Brian Carney. 

The reason that all the mayhem you describe occurred is that the game was refereed by a guy who is woefully out of his depth and, as Onreport has suggested,only gets the gigs because he is willing to go full time. Time and time again I've seen games descend into chaos because of weak, inconsistent officials who lack the cojones to assert their authority from the start and Cobb fits that profile perfectly. The last thing this referee deserves is a ringing endorsement from the likes of you and Brian Carney. 

There is no ringing endorsement for Cobb from me - and I believe ( although i've not seen it) that Cobb branded yellow in the first incident , Isn't that the only way a ref can assert authority ?

There is no ringing endorsement for Cobb from me - and I believe ( although i've not seen it) that Cobb branded yellow in the first incident , Isn't that the only way a ref can assert authority ?

Not having a clue -and showing it -is a serious handicap to asserting authority. I've seen a lot of pathetic officials over the years , but I wouldn't let this clown ref an under 15's game of tag. 

Not having a clue -and showing it -is a serious handicap to asserting authority. I've seen a lot of pathetic officials over the years , but I wouldn't let this clown ref an under 15's game of tag. 

I would agree mate . I have seen him referee in the Northwest counties junior league since he was 15 and I can confirm he hasn't improved one bit but when he has got a whistle in his mouth players know what to expect and should adapt accordingly. I appreciate its easier said than done

I would agree mate . I have seen him referee in the Northwest counties junior league since he was 15 and I can confirm he hasn't improved one bit but when he has got a whistle in his mouth players know what to expect and should adapt accordingly. I appreciate its easier said than done

Maybe my views are heavily influenced by the fact that I am unquestionably old-school. The game may have moved on (not necessarily forward ) and I am rooted in an age when tackles which are deemed illegal these days were part and parcel of a very physical and robust game. I accept that players' safety is paramount ,but I can't help but smile when I try and visualise a ref from those days approaching Billy Pattinson or Bob Blackwood ,wagging a finger ,and saying--"You're off for an early bath mate -you had Mike Nicholas beyond the horizontal there!".  Come to think of it "Spear tackles ",which weren't uncommon back in the day,were called "Pile-drivers" and I don't think it had anything to do with hemorrhoid shrinkage -though that could have been a side effect!   We'll both just have to accept that I am a Dinosaur -- but one with some great memories of what was once a Man's game ,played with no quarter asked-or given -and reffed by guys who were often as feisty and uncompromising as the players !

Think Latu's a couple of weeks away-------------- ;)

this is turning out to be one of the most memorable signings in towns history but for all the wrong reasons. The couple of weeks that never happen! Is he constantly breaking down in training? If so then just tell the fans. Or if he is weeks off then just tell the fans!

From what? :laugh:

Another two week!!

Why can't somebody from the club just tell us what is happening with him. Personally I feel sorry for him, hearing off a couple of players that he is itching to get back playing .

it isn't looking promising at all though is it!

Think he should have shared a flight home with kurt

Fair play for him for coming over but this is becoming a disaster, can't be easy and it's NOT his fault but at a club with no funds to bring anyone in aparently we have a guy on full time plus community wages on the treatment table for 2 year ...

Don't anyone ever post any YouTube clips of a prospective player on here again ..

To be honest the rhino is about as much use .. Only he plays .. I dunno what's worse

Fifita has to be in the 17 the week after this vs Sheffield. Any later and he'll still be trying get match fit as the middle 8's loom. Any later and I think its too late for him to have an impact on the season.

He's no use to the club if he is still delayed making his appearance and does little for a few games whilst getting his match fitness, but then has storming games for the last 4 games of the season, thrashing everything in sight, even though the club are already relegated. There will be pressure on him to be 10 out of 10 right away.

However, given that - the club should have made a stance with the coach after the Swinton game, and the same shouId have applied to Fifita by now, but I can't see them cutting him, if in fact they can

The interest in the club must be as low as its been for a long time .. We get snippets in the paper which seem to be the same words year after year ..? But bar that you wouldn't know the club existed in the local press, I sincerely hope the coaches contract is up at the end of the season

this is turning out to be one of the most memorable signings in towns history but for all the wrong reasons. The couple of weeks that never happen! Is he constantly breaking down in training? If so then just tell the fans. Or if he is weeks off then just tell the fans!

I blame the flip flops !!!!!!!

Archived