Giving up and preparing for the middle 8's

tbf Scubby has acknowledged his concerns.

My post was slightly mischievous, but that was due to the point blank refusal of a couple of people last year to let the system flush through, we were aggressively told why it was going to flop and this issue was so obvious. I do think ot is an interesting discussion point though.

Of course, we will see what happens over the next few years, it may thrive or it may bomb due to something we havent even considered yet.

I think for the system to work long term we have to address the number of fixtures - 30 regular league games is ridiculous. Also, if a team like Leigh have their best side for 30 years 2015-2018 and don't ever get promotion (when P&R is supposedly in place) then the system will suffer by default.

I think for the system to work long term we have to address the number of fixtures - 30 regular league games is ridiculous. Also, if a team like Leigh have their best side for 30 years 2015-2018 and don't ever get promotion (when P&R is supposedly in place) then the system will suffer by default.

on the first point, number of games is clearly an issue but has been under every format. Until we can raise the required amount of money with fewer games then they are gere to stay.

On the second, yep, if we see no movement between the divisiona after 5 years then maybe we look at it. If we do take that approach though, then we can never bag the rfl for not bothering to play France because England always beat them, or canning the WCS because the Aussies always win. Maybe we even stretch that to England v Australia tests.

I'm really not a fan of this eights system at all. Baring a financial collapse of an SL club I can't see any club gaining promotion. Bradford are effectively locked out of SL and I'd argue we don't have enough clubs to allow someone like Bradford to slowly wither away and die a slow death. Hudds and Leeds being in the bottom 4 couldn't have really been forseen, but in the lead up to a 4 nations we should really be targeting to win, how many of England's first choice team are now going to be playing 2nd grade RL against championship level clubs in the lead up? Not helping our chances.

The sooner thus system is changed the better in my opinion.

They shouldn't be first choice if they haven't shown form over the season.

I enjoyed the middle 8's last season. It's hard not to agree that the standard of super league appears to have been lowered at the top but not throughout the league.

Maybe the top players are struggling with the number of games that are competitive now and some don't have it in them physically and mentally to turn up every week and put in a shift. I'm sure a few used to treat Salford as a week off

Would love a Leigh v Leeds game at LSV 3pm on a Sunday in August. 8k plus and a real occasion, even when we lose.

I'm hoping for London v Leeds. Which assuming it takes the same format as last year (and Leeds do finish bottom), would require London to finish 1st or 3rd

36023.jpg

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

The clubs wanted 30 games to balance the books

Magic had to stay.... the compromise was 1 round less in the cup!

Any system needs to guarantee the same amount of games as before or the chairmen wont vote it in!

What if London or Bradford get promoted?

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

What if London or Bradford get promoted?

I know what you are saying. What I meant was over the 3-4 years between 2014-2018 Leigh could have had the best side the Championship has ever known and not got promoted which would be a shame. If London or Bradford get promoted this year it would be on the back of one excellent year. Leigh have been top class (in Championship standards) for 3+ years - including knocking Wakefield out of the cup and running Leeds and Warrington close away from home. 

tbf Scubby has acknowledged his concerns.

My post was slightly mischievous, but that was due to the point blank refusal of a couple of people last year to let the system flush through, we were aggressively told why it was going to flop and this issue was so obvious. I do think ot is an interesting discussion point though.

Of course, we will see what happens over the next few years, it may thrive or it may bomb due to something we havent even considered yet.

I think it's really interesting too, Dave.

Good you're being mischievious as we need more of that on the forum!

The naysayers will gripe no matter what. If it was under the old system and year after year they went down after being promoted they'd still be complaining there was something biased in the way it worked. I think at least the RFL tried to answer all the questions asked and issues raised with this one, but the longing for a simple and mythical past solution ( that never worked) does also ruin a good debate. If you see it as a chance of promotion which is all you get every season no matter what system you play under then it becomes an opportunity. The evidence of one season hardly justifies the bashing it got.

It's more likely to bomb because the RFL change their minds rather than the fact it doesn't work! Will it be a long term solution (MW) or a toe in the water (Exiles etc etc etc!) ?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived