2016 NRL Match Thread - Round 21 - Retro Round

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Channel Nine presenters get a lot of abuse on here. Having just watched the Roosters\Broncos game I have to agree with them " get rid of the bunker"

Classy one off Roosters shirt.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Just caught up with the game. Is it just me or is Ray Hadley painful to listen to. Why can't Premier Sports/NRL give us the Fox feed instead?

Th Ese'ese try should have been awarded IMO. Yes the ball carrying arm touched the ground but his momentum hadn't been stopped (the Roosters players actually helped pull him over the line). You can generally gauge the correct outcome from the players reaction. Both teams believed it was a good try.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

Yes there was a similar one last week. My question is: if the tacklers are allowed to roll him over to try to keep the ball off the ground then how can you say the tackle was complete when the ball-carrying arm touched the ground.

My sympathy goes out to anyone who has to listen to Ray Hadley. For anyone who's really bored, here are some gems from the Farmduck Global Media Conglomerate's Hadley archive:

NSFW:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rjTlVkzIT8

https://independentaustralia.net/business/business-display/how-the-nsw-police-helped-ray-hadley,5064

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4003101.htm

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/abuse-victim-taped-hadley-tirade-on-phone-20130223-2ey6s.html#ixzz2LjvS4cmr

This doesn't cover his role in getting Voss sacked from Channel 9 or league-caller Andrew Moore sacked from 2GB or the Apprehended Violence Order taken out by Hadley's wife.

Since the start of this season, Foxtel subscribers have had 2 versions of the Channel 9 games - the original and the Fox Spots commentary over the Ch9 video. I haven't bothered with a single Ch9 NRL game this year.

Re: the bunker.

I have a few proposals.

1. When a referee sends it to the bunker resolve the issue by having both captains play rock-paper-scissors (best-of-three, don't want to end it with a fluke win). The winner decides if it's 'try' or 'no-try'.

2. The hockey referral system. 2 per team used at the captain's discretion. In case of a 'no-try' decision, the attacking team's captain gets to ask a question. The bunker adjudicates only on the basis of the question. Reverse the roles if the on-field ref's decision is 'try'. Lost your referral? Tough luck.

Put the onus on the captains, let the on-field ref decide. Get on with the game.

3. Let the commentators decide... Bring the popcorn and let the fun begin.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

Widdop trying to stop Dogzilla one-on-one = try for Canterbury.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Morning all our commentators are missing in action Score Update 10- 0 Dogs tries from Reynolds and Kasiano one converted by Mybe

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

I fell asleep and missed the first 20 minutes. Now the Dogs seem to be in control at 12-0

The first try is worth watching when they show highlights at half time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bulldogs put a long DG over as the hooter sounds - 13:0 at half time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

St George finally get over the line in the second half - 13:4.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Game on! Aitken scores for the Dragons.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well a good example of not converting possession and pressure into points you'll end up losing St Jarge much better than recent but work to do in attack, the Dogs were not special and the better Teams won't be too worried by them! Ft 13-10 

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

Final Bulldogs win 13-10.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned the one-off shirt the Roosters wore yesterday. Here is more  info. Nice to see young Mitchell acknowledge him after he scored his try yesterday.

Arthur Beetson jersey artwork

Tue 26th July, 11:30AM
A A

The artwork on the Roosters Legends Round jersey pays tribute to the late and great legend of rugby league Arthur Beetson, who was in his own words "a very proud Australian, a very proud Queenslander, but also a very proud Aboriginal."

image: http://wa1.www.roosters.com.au/content/dam/roosters/news-images/2016/season-2016/round-21/BeetsonARTWORK.jpg

BeetsonARTWORK.jpg

Bianca Beetson, the niece of Arthur Beetson created the artwork and explains the meaning behind it.

The text in which his portrait was created reflects his attitude to life, no matter what life throws at you, you have to keep ‘playin’ on’.

The text touches on his experience of growing up Aboriginal, his positive approach to racism on and off the field and also draws on quotes reflecting his grandeur on the field.

The symbols surrounding him are Totems of the Kabi Kabi people of the Sunshine Coast; which include the Bunya Pine & the native bee.

Arthur's Mother Marie was Kabi Kabi and his Father Bill was Waradjuri from NSW. 

Thanks for the updates.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

warriors_1995.jpgpenrith_1967.jpg

Trivia #382: The Panthers should never have been in the top grade, or NSWRL as it was back then. Wanting 2 extra teams in first grade, the NSWRL had decided to promote the top 2 teams from the 1966 Metropolitan Cup. Those teams were Cronulla and Wentworthville. Unfortunately, Wentworthville is only 2 stations west of Parra and their home ground would have been less than 1km from Cumberland Oval, site of the current Parra Stadium. They also shared much of the same junior catchment area. The NSWRL chose Penrith instead because, being 40km west of Parra and having much greater potential for population growth, it was considered a better expansion option.

Trivia #87.2: Before joining the top grade NSWRL comp, Penrith traditionally played in blue and white. Since the NSWRL already had a blue and white team, Penrith settled on the god awful brown and white.

1967%20mirror%20team%20card%202012052600

The first Auckland team played the GB Lions in Auckland in 1910. The Brits won 52-9 but a healthy crowd of around 10K attended the match. The first Auckland team to play in Australia was in 1974, when NSW Western Division defeated Auckland 13-7 at Leichhardt Oval in an AMCO Cup match.

They fared better in the AMCO Cup in 1975 when they drew 14-14 with Manly in the first round, then defeated a combined Newcastle team 26-16 before falling to Eastern Suburbs 23-10. Given the strength of the Easts team during that period - in 1975 they won the GF and only lost 2 games all year - this was a very credible Auckland performance.

Panthers

1 Matt Moylan
2 Josh Mansour
3 Waqa Blake
4 Tyrone Peachey
5 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6 Bryce Cartwright
7 Nathan Cleary
8 Leilani Latu
9 Peter Wallace
10 Suaia Matagi
11 Isaah Yeo
12 James Fisher-Harris
13 Trent Merrin

Interchange
14 Moses Leota
15 Sitaleki Akauola
16 Chris Grevsmuhl
17 Zac Hardaker

Warriors

1 Tuimoala Lolohea
2 Ken Maumalo
3 David Fusitua
4 Solomone Kata
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Thomas Leuluai
7 Shaun Johnson
8 Jacob Lillyman
9 Issac Luke
20 Albert Vete
18 Bodene Thompson
12 Ryan Hoffman
13 Simon Mannering

Interchange
10 Ben Matulino
14 Jazz Tevaga
15 Samuel Lisone
17 Blake Ayshford

I'm backing the Warriors here.

* Subject to change

A blocker penalty? That's a rarity!

* Subject to change

Penrith takes the 2 from 10m out. And the lead after 11 minutes.

2-0 Panthers

* Subject to change

Archived