Whitehaven reaction

town4me

[quote name="Seaton Sandy" post="3387848" timestamp="1471860729"

We also require a local coach who can tap into the Cumbrian amateur scene because we have at least 3 sides who mix it successfully with clubs in the so-called Heartlands. Up the Revolution!

I'm not sure I agree with it necessarily having to be a local coach. The best coach available regardless of where they are from would be my choice as long as they had a mandate to develop and promote the local lads and compliment them with a bit of stardust from further afield.

My criticism of Phil is that he seems reluctant to trust the young lads, and although he isn't there to win a popularity contest it seems some of the players simply don't like him enough to leave the club.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agree its done now after losing more top players and swinton having a great win for themselves yesterday sealed towns fate , the lads are depleted and shot to bits with knocks etc which is how the season began and how it is ending , several players put a good shift in under difficult circumstances and Shacks was right up there but I wasnt surprised to hear the mom was TR as he also had a solid outside back performance you will see at this level saving try's at crucial moments , winning penalty's and makes more yards than a forward when driving the ball and the team forward , there is an air of expectation when he is involved and this is why the mom sponsors get drawn to him as big forwards sometimes dont get rewarded as much as they should because smashing and bashing is expected of them . The difference this season is Sammut was being awarded MOM almost every single game he played in as opposed to hardly getting a look in most of this season which tells a tale in itself .

And the stats back you up . As great as young Ritson has performed this year wingers are there for one main reason and that's to get over the whitewash . One try this year tells a tale and it's not Tee,s fault it's work going on inside him that needs addressing . Workingtons link play is so predictable this year and easy to defend against . I hope they try to change that for the remaining games but I also know it's been difficult under the circumstances with limited time on the training field .

I'm not sure I agree with it necessarily having to be a local coach. The best coach available regardless of where they are from would be my choice as long as they had a mandate to develop and promote the local lads and compliment them with a bit of stardust from further afield.

My criticism of Phil is that he seems reluctant to trust the young lads, and although he isn't there to win a popularity contest it seems some of the players simply don't like him enough to leave the club.

The bottom line is that we aren't in a position to acquire another Spider Walsh - or the quality of players that went with him. Neither are we in a position to splash out on "stardust"-especially from "farther afield"----look where that pursuit took us for the last 2 seasons!  I don't believe that Vievers has run the rule over some of the better prospects playing locally-only someone living in the area could do that with any conviction and whoever that was would have to foster a relationship with the amateur clubs in question. Sadly Paul Crary is doing an excellent job at Barrow and can't be on our radar but I recall that some of our best signings over the years have come from that neck  of the woods .If the prospective change of administration at Town brings significant financial input then we might -with prudence- be able to broaden our horizons but failing that we must keep travellers to a minimum--and that includes coaches. 

Olly Gordon has done well but unfortunately we've blown big cash on players who are inferior to what we could've got here for half the money hence the squad shortage.

i agree with you in a away but when you say "what we could have got here" thats possibly easier said than done. Lancashire and yorkshire based players can get a game in this league without all the travelling they would have to do up here. Is there enough locals who could have made the step up? I doubt it.

The bottom line is that we aren't in a position to acquire another Spider Walsh - or the quality of players that went with him. Neither are we in a position to splash out on "stardust"-especially from "farther afield"----look where that pursuit took us for the last 2 seasons! I don't believe that Vievers has run the rule over some of the better prospects playing locally-only someone living in the area could do that with any conviction and whoever that was would have to foster a relationship with the amateur clubs in question. Sadly Paul Crary is doing an excellent job at Barrow and can't be on our radar but I recall that some of our best signings over the years have come from that neck of the woods .If the prospective change of administration at Town brings significant financial input then we might -with prudence- be able to broaden our horizons but failing that we must keep travellers to a minimum--and that includes coaches.

I'm not talking about Wayne Bennett or Walsh, but if the best candidate that applies for any future vacant position doesn't happen to have the right postcode then so what? If it's the right person the draw from the amateur game could be bigger because of their status either as a coach or when they were a player.

As for the players it doesn't have to be a superstar but look at the difference a wise old head can make such as Holt did, or the magic that a Limmer, Thackeray or a Stack can bring. The amount some of the locals are on who play Town off against Haven for a contract is ridiculous and it would cheaper bringing somebody in.

It was always prudent with Dave B at the helm but we always still managed.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

We have won 24 games out of 72 played under Veivers, a ratio of exactly 1 win every 3 games but it's been in decline having won 12 in 2014, 7 last year and 5 this year.

Is this in the league games ? I'm not talking about play off / bottom 8 games ...

Time for knee jerk reactions I'm afraid people, start again let's see who wants to stay player wise and bring in some locals (if there is any) build a team around young ritson at full back - Callum Phillips - Brett and hopefully a fully fit stack, less of the square pegs in round holes a change in coach is badly needed with an attitude towards the community / supporters, the crowds won't drop too dramatically in fact they may well improve if we actually win some games.

Is this in the league games ? I'm not talking about play off / bottom 8 games ...

Time for knee jerk reactions I'm afraid people, start again let's see who wants to stay player wise and bring in some locals (if there is any) build a team around young ritson at full back - Callum Phillips - Brett and hopefully a fully fit stack, less of the square pegs in round holes a change in coach is badly needed with an attitude towards the community / supporters, the crowds won't drop too dramatically in fact they may well improve if we actually win some games.

i think everything depends on if a new regime is coming in before any real planning can be done. If it is coming in then sooner the better after the season has finished.

Town and Haven will both lose up to half their squads at the end of this season as the harsh financial realities of life in Championship One start to bite.

Both clubs will have to bring in players from outside of the county as there are not enough players locally to make up the shortfall.

It reminds me of the dark old days of the mid eighties when Town were bringing in journeyman players well past their best like Billy Platt and David Ward, Jesus it was depressing following Town in those days, losing to the likes of Springfield Borough, Mansfield and Nottingham on a fairly regular basis.

The difference between the mid-80s and now is that there was still a very strong vibrant amateur game locally and there were plenty of lads who wanted to step up to the professional game.

The amateur game now is on its knees and unless the RFL take some action and fight the problem of player participation head on, then the local clubs will soon be disappearing.

I don't know how many local games I've watched this season when both teams had 13 players plus 4 subs, most have been playing with a scratch 13 plus 1 or 2 subs.

Some of you in here talk about getting a local coach to replace Vevers, well who would you get?

Rooney wouldn't leave the comforts of WATH brow to coach a side with no resources to strengthen, and after that there isn't anyone else I can think of who could make the grade.

Gary Hewer, Peter Smith or Gary Murdock are the only other locals that I can think of who are capable of coaching a pro side, but they have all had been involved in the coaching set up at pro clubs previously and decided it wasn't for them.

Both clubs need to look at merging at the earliest opportunity and then start to work with the local clubs for the good of the game.

Leaving the subject completely, why the hell didn't the club put a gate on the old training ground to stop the gypsys getting back on training field when it took them over 12 months to get them off?

I'm not talking about Wayne Bennett or Walsh, but if the best candidate that applies for any future vacant position doesn't happen to have the right postcode then so what? If it's the right person the draw from the amateur game could be bigger because of their status either as a coach or when they were a player.

As for the players it doesn't have to be a superstar but look at the difference a wise old head can make such as Holt did, or the magic that a Limmer, Thackeray or a Stack can bring. The amount some of the locals are on who play Town off against Haven for a contract is ridiculous and it would cheaper bringing somebody in.

It was always prudent with Dave B at the helm but we always still managed.

Wayne Bennett? You must be still coming down from the Blues Festival "stardust" Voodoo. I'm trying to invest this debate with some necessary realism given the dire situation we find ourselves in. The post code is vital --apart from the actual logistics of commuting up here the likes of Phil Vievers aren't able to gel with the local Rugby League community as recent reported dislocations with Town players demonstrate . In case you had forgotten the talismanic  Holty is a LOCAL hero who played for LOCAL clubs--even Papa Lazarou could tell you that. Vievers was a pretty tidy player himself but it obviously didn't influence his ability to attract any Antipodean world beaters to Town's cause . As for the Limmers and Siones -- they came courtesy of Ged Stokes who, during the good years of his stewardship was resident locally along with his family. Dave Bowden is no longer at the helm but-fingers crossed we might be on the cusp of acquiring a consortium capable of steering the ship off the rocks. 

Wayne Bennett? You must be still coming down from the Blues Festival "stardust" Voodoo. I'm trying to invest this debate with some necessary realism given the dire situation we find ourselves in. The post code is vital --apart from the actual logistics of commuting up here the likes of Phil Vievers aren't able to gel with the local Rugby League community as recent reported dislocations with Town players demonstrate . In case you had forgotten the talismanic Holty is a LOCAL hero who played for LOCAL clubs--even Papa Lazarou could tell you that. Vievers was a pretty tidy player himself but it obviously didn't influence his ability to attract any Antipodean world beaters to Town's cause . As for the Limmers and Siones -- they came courtesy of Ged Stokes who, during the good years of his stewardship was resident locally along with his family. Dave Bowden is no longer at the helm but-fingers crossed we might be on the cusp of acquiring a consortium capable of steering the ship off the rocks.

Oh forget it Sandy, if you think I literally meant Wayne Bennett then it's pointless carrying on. I'm also quite aware where Holty is from and if I have to explain why I mentioned his name in the context I did then I give up.

FFS it's like having an argument with our lass, you set off talking about saving money and end up booking a holiday!

The local leagues should be played during the winter with the summer conference running in summer - if it continues to be played in summer Carla will be done within 5 years .

To be honest what's also hurting our guys is the length of the season .. That seriously needs to be looked at .

Back to the long term plan of club development guys duel reg among other things has plotted our downfall in recent years

Oh forget it Sandy, if you think I literally meant Wayne Bennett then it's pointless carrying on. I'm also quite aware where Holty is from and if I have to explain why I mentioned his name in the context I did then I give up.

FFS it's like having an argument with our lass, you set off talking about saving money and end up booking a holiday!

In which case I have the ultimate sympathy for your "lass".Must be murder trying to cope with your Visigoth alter ego. 

The local leagues should be played during the winter with the summer conference running in summer - if it continues to be played in summer Carla will be done within 5 years .

To be honest what's also hurting our guys is the length of the season .. That seriously needs to be looked at .

Back to the long term plan of club development guys duel reg among other things has plotted our downfall in recent years

Was a crazy idea to move the amateurs to summer rugby anyway. Not sure who was behind that one.

Olly Gordon has done well but unfortunately we've blown big cash on players who are inferior to what we could've got here for half the money hence the squad shortage.

unfortunately the way theyve been treated will probably mean olly wont return next year, which is unfortunate as hes been our most consistent performer this season. Keeping him,shacks,walker,stevie and ryan would mean wed be more than set for props to build around for league 1. Although keeping shacks will be tough ask unless theres big changes.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

I think it's best for both if he moves on, massively disappointed in his performance and overall condition this season, constantly has his hands on his hips blowing like an old bloke .. U15s get body language coaching lol

I'd just like a fresh start the only players I'd personally keep out of the squad would be

Walker shackley Phillips x2 macavoy (as a prop) olstrom (starting 13) stack Mossop tee forrester ? Scholey . Yes lots of players to find but maybe relagation was made for the likes of lucock .. Duerdon

I think it's best for both if he moves on, massively disappointed in his performance and overall condition this season, constantly has his hands on his hips blowing like an old bloke .. U15s get body language coaching lol

liam mcavoy looks like that after 2 minutes every game, is constantly last back into the line and generally looks shattered.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

whether we stay up or not a lot needs to change at the club .a few years ago oggie and charlo to their great credit stood aside as they thought they had took the team as far as they could . if there really are people  in the wings that would be interested in taking over the running of the club , i think the present board who have done a good job in impossible circumstances should likewise stand aside for the good of the club ...we stlll have a very slim chance of staying up but without matty and callum its a mountain to climb ..... if we beat swinton and haven beat halifax next week , haven will be right back in it with swinton to play at home and trips to oldham and dewsbury to come , whereas we have bradford at home , and halifax and sheffield away ....unfortunately who knows which halifax and sheffield teams will turn up ! .

Mate the sooner we get out of this league the better we ain't winning no more games this year we will be lucky to have any subs this week even our water carrier on Sunday was covered in strapping , if haven want to stay up let them good luck to them .. Staying in this league will see us go under simple as

Archived