Whitehaven reaction

town4me

In some ways relegation would be a relief as if we can't compete financially in this league now we sure as hell wouldn't next year and it'd be another season of bumping along at the bottom awaiting the inevitable. Same goes for Haven. I expect they'll probably change the league structure again in a year or two anyway if Toulouse and Toronto haven't made it to SL. I think it's better to be a top half team in a lower league than whipping boys in a higher one.

i think you hit the nail on the head about awaiting the inevitable. If any of the cumbrians had stopped in this league then it would just be another scrap for survival. The current league structure amd money distribution makes it very difficult for cumbrian clubs.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The players definitely looked shattered, and the injuries and off field troubles seem to have caught up with the team.

Relegation is inevitable now, but let's not forget these past few weeks, Town have had some great performances recently and we've got to give them credit for that.

As a footnote, does anyone know the official attendance?.

Sorry pal I didn't mean for it to come out like that but it's just a relief to get a win & 2pts.

No sweat - it's always gut wrenching to lose to the shape-shifters down the road. Bit like you and the Bulldogs , but at least they don't keep re-inventing themselves every 5 minutes. 

If a farmer treated their animals the way town have treated their players this season the RSPCA would have stepped in!! Under staffed all year from the first whistle to the last,well done to all the players this season we just fell short but a good effort all the same.....

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

If a farmer treated their animals the way town have treated their players this season the RSPCA would have stepped in!! Under staffed all year from the first whistle to the last,well done to all the players this season we just fell short but a good effort all the same.....

Its not over yet , this league will go down to the last game of the season

Its not over yet , this league will go down to the last game of the season

aye maybe but the fat lady isn't far from warbling for me.....

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

Like wonderofwood says it not over just yet, I hope we can survive, but lets look at things, if we went down and haven stop up or visor/verse, would it be that bad, we have struggled all season and unless someone comes in with mega money I think we would struggle again, dropping down would hopefully mean more victories and hopefully that would generate more supporters (watching a winning team) attendances are not that bad for the majority of CH1 sides except a few (Coventry, Hemel, Wooliebacks and Gloucester) the rest are not that much different from our two clubs. Town and Haven will always have their diehards 450-500 fans that will always attend, I don't think dropping down would knock many off those figures and hopefully winning more games will bring people back.

Now players jumping ship from Haven/Town ( if one went down and the other stayed up ) would have to consider either more signing on fee against winning pay to losing pay , if I was a player and had no loyalty to either team and was only interested in the ££, I would be weighting all these factors up before I put pen to paper.

If Town and Haven both go down it will be interesting to see were players loyalties lie then tho !!!

Like I have said, it is not over yet with a lot of twists and turns still to come yet, yes its disappointing not winning today but we didn't play well and still could have snatched it in the end, we are both at the bottom of this league for a reason folks !!

Lets stick with the lads they have battled on all season and deserve our support .

UTT   

Like wonderofwood says it not over just yet, I hope we can survive, but lets look at things, if we went down and haven stop up or visor/verse, would it be that bad, we have struggled all season and unless someone comes in with mega money I think we would struggle again, dropping down would hopefully mean more victories and hopefully that would generate more supporters (watching a winning team) attendances are not that bad for the majority of CH1 sides except a few (Coventry, Hemel, Wooliebacks and Gloucester) the rest are not that much different from our two clubs. Town and Haven will always have their diehards 450-500 fans that will always attend, I don't think dropping down would knock many off those figures and hopefully winning more games will bring people back.

Now players jumping ship from Haven/Town ( if one went down and the other stayed up ) would have to consider either more signing on fee against winning pay to losing pay , if I was a player and had no loyalty to either team and was only interested in the ££, I would be weighting all these factors up before I put pen to paper.

If Town and Haven both go down it will be interesting to see were players loyalties lie then tho !!!

Like I have said, it is not over yet with a lot of twists and turns still to come yet, yes its disappointing not winning today but we didn't play well and still could have snatched it in the end, we are both at the bottom of this league for a reason folks !!

Lets stick with the lads they have battled on all season and deserve our support .

UTT

Coventry's season average will be compatible with Swinton, Rochdale, Oldham and York. Our best attended home game of 1097 will be better than a lot of teams in the Championship have managed this season.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Really thought we were gonna snatch it by 2 points again at the death! Poor defence today from the team but injuries are absolutely crucifying us!! Not sure why Sammut decided to kick at the end, just wasn't meant to be! Sammut is not the stand out player we expect him to be, others are playing way better than him & that's disappointing !! He should be head & shoulders above everyone else!! Think today's results could mean us both down!! Gutted!!

I think Sammut wants us down so he can leave. Can't be any other explaination for his lack of interest.

At the end of the day going down is the best thing that can happen to this club - they cannot maintain their status in this league nor be competitive within it so sometimes you have to take a step backwards to come forward, time for a change from top to bottom I'm afraid, this once great club is crumbling, the way the players have been treat this year is disgusting and if I was one of them I'm dam sure I'd not be too keen on signing for the present management for next season, rugby league in the west of Cumbria is on its death bed with no signs of a recovery, I find it very sad yesterday at the game to what it's become... Haven with what 2 locals in a team full of lads no other sides want, town busted with ageing locals trying their heart out but simply not good enough... A small band of maybe 100 haven fans at the end celebrating with their players I looked back on the ground from the scoreboard end so many memories so many good times in that stadium over the years , but in reality it's sad to what it's become.

Both sides will go down it is over regardless of what a few on here say it's been over for weeks, it's certainly time for veivers to go he's outstayed his welcome for about 18 months now but the sad thing is in reality town have outstayed their welcome in this league for the past few seasons, if it wasn't for bonus points we would have been down the first season, similar last year had Sammut not arrived, I wonder how many actual league games veivers has won in his time here (I don't mean bottom 8s/ playoffs) .

I'll finish with compments to the players , they all tried yesterday (well most) gee / Mossop / Hume/ and no doubt many others were playing in pain and fair play to them, the supports appreciate it boys it's just your leaders who have let you down.

I wonder how many actual league games veivers has won in his time here (I don't mean bottom 8s/ playoffs) .

We have won 24 games out of 72 played under Veivers, a ratio of exactly 1 win every 3 games but it's been in decline having won 12 in 2014, 7 last year and 5 this year.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I'd say haven had just as much if not more injuries than town. Players playing out of position, no coach, no assistant coach. Have a week to prepare with all that going on and still manage to outplay town. Credit to haven, poor from town.

er... yes ... but didn't they draft in 5 or 6 Widnes players to bolster their squad whereas we drafted in as usual nobody. Another 2 top players gone. We're done. Had to laugh at the music mans choice of "Don't fear the reaper" before the match; very good.

Not sure why TR got MoM should have been Shacks in my opinion. Total Commitment.

Our first team is good enough for this division. Did it ever play this season?

I think it's about time people come to terms with the merger. It's what the RFL want and it's what needs to happen for sustainablity and growth. Would of happend 10 years ago if not for the fickle fans.

For those that can't enjoy the game without hating another team they've still got Barrow to have a go at. Win win?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

The players have been brilliant all season stepping up and giving everything, playing busted ( Shacks effort yesterday is a perfect example) because for whatever reason they have had to.

I just hope they don't feel alienated from the board when negotiations start during the off season. Whatever league both teams are in Haven will be sniffing, we used to have the advantage of having the reputation of looking after our lads. Haven have tried to copy the model for a few seasons now but as yesterday showed they are still full of travellers. If they get a local coach you can bet a big shift will take place and we will be pitching against them from the back foot after all that's happened this year.

Whatever happens I just hope bridges are rebuilt before the season ends and it's too late.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

er... yes ... but didn't they draft in 5 or 6 Widnes players to bolster their squad whereas we drafted in as usual nobody. Another 2 top players gone. We're done. Had to laugh at the music mans choice of "Don't fear the reaper" before the match; very good.

Not sure why TR got MoM should have been Shacks in my opinion. Total Commitment.

Our first team is good enough for this division. Did it ever play this season?

agree its done now after losing more top players and swinton having a great win for themselves yesterday sealed towns fate , the lads are depleted and shot to bits with knocks etc which is how the season began and how it is ending , several players put a good shift in under difficult circumstances and Shacks was right up there but I wasnt surprised to hear the mom was TR as he also had a solid outside back performance you will see at this level saving  try's at crucial moments , winning penalty's and makes more yards than a forward when driving the ball and the team forward , there is an air of expectation when he is involved and this is why the mom sponsors get drawn to him as big forwards sometimes dont get rewarded as much as they should because smashing and bashing is expected of them . The difference this season is Sammut was being awarded MOM almost every single game he played in as opposed to hardly getting a look in most of this season which tells a tale in itself .

The players have been brilliant all season stepping up and giving everything, playing busted ( Shacks effort yesterday is a perfect example) because for whatever reason they have had to.

I just hope they don't feel alienated from the board when negotiations start during the off season. Whatever league both teams are in Haven will be sniffing, we used to have the advantage of having the reputation of looking after our lads. Haven have tried to copy the model for a few seasons now but as yesterday showed they are still full of travellers. If they get a local coach you can bet a big shift will take place and we will be pitching against them from the back foot after all that's happened this year.

Whatever happens I just hope bridges are rebuilt before the season ends and it's too late.

The last thing we need is the battered and creaking bridge that exists at the moment being cobbled together for the future. I met up with an ex-sponsor of the club yesterday who hadn't been down for a long time. He confirmed what I'd been told by another source that there were 4 prospective board members waiting to come in for next season. Whether that depends on which division we end up in he couldn't say so yesterday's reversal hopefully won't scupper the change that is desperately needed if Town are to survive. If,as seems inevitable,we drop through the trap door we will need a regime that can cope with the crazy antics of the RFL as regards fixture planning and their obsession with distorting the rules in order to accommodate foreign outfits. We also require a local coach who can tap into the Cumbrian amateur scene because we have at least 3 sides who mix it successfully with clubs in the so-called Heartlands. Up the Revolution!

People will say you can't blame injuries but i feel we have been very unlucky with injuries and our small squad for this season simply couldn't cope with the constant loss of players especially in key areas.

It now looks like we may yet again be struggling to get 17 fit players for next week. Story of our season really

People will say you can't blame injuries but i feel we have been very unlucky with injuries and our assembled squad for this season simply could cope with the constant loss of players especially in key areas.

It now looks like we may yet again be struggling to get 17 fit players for next week. Story of our season really

we have been very unlucky again this term, but our biggest problem is not having any backup for them. The squad was tiny and thats down to management and board. Sometimes its better to sacrifice a big high earner (and we have a good few) to bring in maybe 2 bodies in there place. Most the season we played our conditioner on the wing, and not for the 1st time in recent years. Does this happen anywhere else? Ive never known it.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

Guess who are worlbeaters again. Tails between legs have turned into puffed out chests in a matter of a week.

One consolation from yesterday is to have played so poor for much of the game and we could still have won it.

Archived