2016 NRL Finals - Week 1 - MATCH THREAD

There has been some good play in this match, but it'll be hard to remember it with fondness, given the decisions that effectively decided the result.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

44:28 at the hooter, and a nasty taste in the mouth.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tony Archer claimed after the game that the bunker couldn't do anything about the Roberts kick because the Alex Glenn try came in the play after that.  I understand that the video ref can only go back to the PTB - which technically occurs when the PTBer touches the ball with his foot - but that's a very poor excuse for why both onfield refs missed it.

Tony Archer claimed after the game that the bunker couldn't do anything about the Roberts kick because the Alex Glenn try came in the play after that.  I understand that the video ref can only go back to the PTB - which technically occurs when the PTBer touches the ball with his foot - but that's a very poor excuse for why both onfield refs missed it.

The kick by Roberts was repeatedly shown during the consideration time.

The Bunker had already intervened in the game to swap a scrum feed. This is inconsistency that borders on what seems wilful.

The decision to change the scrum feed you can hear was prompted by the referee asking the bunker to check the decision to ensure the correct team get the feed. This was done right after the whistle was blown, prior to the scrum forming. I am comfortable with the referee's decision to ask for assistance there.

With the explanation of how far back the bunker can go, I heard what Tony Archer has said. In my opinion, anything after the player is called held should be reviewed, not after the PTB. I can guarantee if Roberts fumbles the ball while on his feet, about to play the ball and knocks on before raking it back with his foot, a knock on would be called by the bunker. This kicking incident is an exact replica of when my incident scenario above would occur and yet different results would occur.

I saw the head butt from Parker in the scrum as well, that guy smacks of hypocrisy. Not that the referees would necessarily have seen that. I expect he has a case to answer....

SHARKS:
1 Ben Barba
2 Sosaia Feki
3 Jack Bird
4 Ricky Leutele
5 Valentine Holmes
6 James Maloney
7 Chad Townsend
8 Andrew Fifita
9 Michael Ennis
10 Matt Prior
11 Luke Lewis
12 Wade Graham
17 Jayson Bukuya

Interchange
14 Gerard Beale
15 Chris Heighington
16 Jesse Sene-Lefao
18 Kurt Capewell

RAIDERS:
1 Jack Wighton
2 Edrick Lee
3 Jarrod Croker ©
4 Joseph Leilua
5 Jordan Rapana
6 Sam Williams
7 Aidan Sezer
8 Junior Paulo
9 Josh Hodgson
10 Shannon Boyd
11 Josh Papalii
12 Elliott Whitehead
13 Iosia Soliola

Interchange
14 Kurt Baptiste
15 Luke Bateman
16 Clay Priest
17 Joseph Tapine

Sharks have lost skipper Paul Gallen to injury.

They travel inland to take on the Raiders in the hope of earning a week off and a shot at the grand final.

The Raiders will be without playmaker Blake Austin despite rushing to get back from a broken hand this week.

They’ll have a packed-out GIO Stadium behind them as they contest their first finals series in four years.

Archived