Date: Sunday, March 19, 2017
Venue: Davies Park, West End (Brisbane)
Hosts: Mike Rabbitt & Adrian Vowles
Hashtags: #intrustsupercup #SLMvPNG

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There'll be a few Cas fans who'll watch that, just for Adrian Vowles.

Mind you, that's 4:05am, UK time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

40-odd minutes to go 'til the BBC's live Challenge Cup stream begins.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yesterday's match between Stanningley v Woolston can be watched in full here: https://livestream.com/fantasticmedia1/events/7137400/videos/152055188

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just had a quick look at his twitter and it now says:

"Just over 23,000 watched @Roughyeds v @HaydockOA on Saturday.  Added iPlayer numbers not included. #bbcrl trending 4th nationally at 1 point"

Must admit I thought it was harder to find the Oldham vs Haydock link on the BBC Website on Saturday due to the extra coverage of the end of the 6 Nations competition.  That might partly explain why the numbers are down for this round.  Also factor in the media exposure that Toronto had received in the build up to the last round.  Hopefully the iPlayer numbers will bump up the total and convince broadcasters that there is a definite market for showing rugby league at all levels in the UK.

Breakdown of Challenge Cup Live Stream figures so far:

Leigh Miners v Wigan St Pats - 20K Live + 3.1K VOD (23.1K Total)

Pilkington Recs v Siddal - 20K Live + 3.8K VOD (23.8K Total)

Siddal v Toronto - 42K Live + 50.8K VOD (92.8K Total)

Haddock v Oldham - 23K Live + TBC VOD (23K+ Total)

Encouraging viewing figures for the concept so far, which hopefully will see the BBC open to doing this more and more moving forward.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

18 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Breakdown of Challenge Cup Live Stream figures so far:

Leigh Miners v Wigan St Pats - 20K Live + 3.1K VOD (23.1K Total)

Pilkington Recs v Siddal - 20K Live + 3.8K VOD (23.8K Total)

Siddal v Toronto - 42K Live + 50.8K VOD (92.8K Total)

Haddock v Oldham - 23K Live + TBC VOD (23K+ Total)

Encouraging viewing figures for the concept so far, which hopefully will see the BBC open to doing this more and more moving forward.

Judging by comments here and on social media, I think the first two of those matches may have been UK-only streams. Siddal/Toronto and Oldham/Haydock were available worldwide.

Seeing as last weekend's streamed match had no international presence, I'm hoping that the BBC have stopped geo-blocking these streams for good.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

With those figures in mind do folks on here think an online paid service by the RFL excluding broadcasters could be the way forward? Or perhaps a paid service which complements services provided by Sky. I see potential here to bring more money I to the game, directly to the clubs. Championship clubs can benefit the most from this. 

I've been calling for IPTV rugby league channel for a couple of years..

To me it makes no sense for super league & NRL to sell individual international TV deals..Especially the NRL given how much RL content they produce..how much is premier sports subscription? £9.99 a month? How much of that does the NRL see? 50p? If that? And i only watched NRL programs on premier sports..So if there ever was a NRL.tv service for international viewers I'd gladly pay £9.99 a month for it and the NRL would get a huge increase in international revenue,getting £s instead of pennies

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

i am curious to learn more about how to do a livestream game, i mean the technologies behind, the several possibilities (from the camera, the soft, and to the platform), options that you have when you want to use more that one camera... is there a tech oriented person here able to provide information/link about that?

I see that some of you started to give links... should we start a thread only for annoncing coming livestream games with links ?

I have been asking for livestream in french Elite 1... that would be perfect since the season is from sept to june... a lot of RL impatient would look the streams from november to february, I would say.

1 hour ago, Fabou said:

I see that some of you started to give links... should we start a thread only for annoncing coming livestream games with links ?

I have been asking for livestream in french Elite 1... that would be perfect since the season is from sept to june... a lot of RL impatient would look the streams from november to february, I would say.

I don't see why the FFRXIII and the clubs don't invest in an online subscription service. There are enough fans in the UK, France and Australia that would gladly pay for this and they wouldn't have to rely on broadcasters who've persistently ignored them. 

23 minutes ago, The Daddy_merged said:

I don't see why the FFRXIII and the clubs don't invest in an online subscription service. There are enough fans in the UK, France and Australia that would gladly pay for this and they wouldn't have to rely on broadcasters who've persistently ignored them. 

you dont see why ? me neither. 

There were quite a few French games shown live on the DailyMotion streaming site last year. But the most recent match on the FFRXIII account is from last May.

On the FFRXIII's own website, a webTV link shows that the last match they showed there was in October.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Up until about 2011, the NRL use to have an international IPTV service, which was run by British company Perform.

To say it was a disaster for all concerned would be an understatement, however admittedly technology in this space has improved ridiculously since even then.

From the NRLs perspective, the strategy was to collect rights deals per market where someone was prepared to pay (ie. Perform who committed to a multi-million dollar deal over a number of years to secure rights) and then provide free streaming access to all other markets to try and grow interest.

The strategy of providing the free streaming has worked with the NRL picking up new deals in new markets along the way as a result.

Now for me, I feel a one or other strategy doesn't work. Whilst I agree that there should be a service for fans who are prepared to pay just for rights to the NRL, more traditional broadcasters, expose the game to more people than an IPTV service ever would.

As such, ideally it would be great if the NRL followed the NFL model where it had both.

Using Australia as an example, I can catch NFL on 7mate (FTA), ESPN (Cable + IPTV) or buy an NFL pass (IPTV).

Diehards go for the Pass, casuals watch it on one of the other options.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

11 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

As such, ideally it would be great if the NRL followed the NFL model where it had both.

Using Australia as an example, I can catch NFL on 7mate (FTA), ESPN (Cable + IPTV) or buy an NFL pass (IPTV).

Diehards go for the Pass, casuals watch it on one of the other options.

not sure I understand your point... the NRL is doing this already. For example in France, you can see the NRL on BeInSport for example... but it is because France has a "Rugby  history".

if you want to reach new market where Rugby (union or league) are not famous at all, no traditional broadcaster will propose the NRL there (they cannot create the market by themselves - or if they can, they might not take this risky investment)...

To compare american football and RL is not relevant there I would say... american football is well known, even if not developped in europe, we know about it because it has been in lot of hollywood movies, advertisings and other video... 

1 hour ago, Fabou said:

not sure I understand your point... the NRL is doing this already. For example in France, you can see the NRL on BeInSport for example... but it is because France has a "Rugby  history".

if you want to reach new market where Rugby (union or league) are not famous at all, no traditional broadcaster will propose the NRL there (they cannot create the market by themselves - or if they can, they might not take this risky investment)...

To compare american football and RL is not relevant there I would say... american football is well known, even if not developped in europe, we know about it because it has been in lot of hollywood movies, advertisings and other video... 

Hi Fabou, I have to disagree, the NRL is not currently taking the NFL approach at all. As you said, in France you can watch NRL on Bein but there is no other avenue to watch it on.

It is an exclusive deal, which locks it in only to those patrons who have access to Bein sports. 

If you're a Rugby League fan, there is no other way to catch the sport, you can't even pay directly to the NRL for the privilege.

I was suggesting that if the NRL wanted to consider going down an IPTV model, like suggested by some posters, then they need to consider non-exclusive broadcast deals, like that done by the NFL, NBA, MLS, NHL, etc.

That way in markets where there is a broadcaster prepared to take the game, they can take advantage of the broader audience they provide whilst also building a commercial model.

50 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Hi Fabou, I have to disagree, the NRL is not currently taking the NFL approach at all. As you said, in France you can watch NRL on Bein but there is no other avenue to watch it on.

It is an exclusive deal, which locks it in only to those patrons who have access to Bein sports. 

If you're a Rugby League fan, there is no other way to catch the sport, you can't even pay directly to the NRL for the privilege.

I was suggesting that if the NRL wanted to consider going down an IPTV model, like suggested by some posters, then they need to consider non-exclusive broadcast deals, like that done by the NFL, NBA, MLS, NHL, etc.

That way in markets where there is a broadcaster prepared to take the game, they can take advantage of the broader audience they provide whilst also building a commercial model.

OK are you saying that people in France cannot access livestream.com/nrl and pay to have access??

I personally live abroad, in a country with free access to livestream.com/nrl... the day I move/it is not free anymore, I will buy a yearly pass. and I thought that it was possible in France... (but you seem to say the opposite)

Archived