the female commentator tw v dews

4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

For me it was some basic errors which he's prone to because his background is soccer rather than RL or gridiron, e.g. characterizing a player as "going all the way" from only 30 metres out.  No Canadian would ever say something so stupid, we all understand that a player can only go "all the way" from their own end of the field.

Or go all the way to the try line from where he started?

rldfsignature.jpg

6 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Or go all the way to the try line from where he started?

When you start in the other team's half you don't have to go a long way, which is why "he's going all the way" is only heard when a player breaks through from his own half and looks like scoring, but the posh soccer guy evidently doesn't know that.

8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

When you start in the other team's half you don't have to go a long way, which is why "he's going all the way" is only heard when a player breaks through from his own half and looks like scoring, but the posh soccer guy evidently doesn't know that.

Rubbish or for a Canadian, garbage.

rldfsignature.jpg

12 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Maybe you think it’s an expression that comes from ice hockey. It isn’t exclusive to ice hockey. Going all the way means making a break and then scoring regardless if where the break commences.

rldfsignature.jpg

57 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Maybe you think it’s an expression that comes from ice hockey. It isn’t exclusive to ice hockey. Going all the way means making a break and then scoring regardless if where the break commences.

I know it more from when I used to watch gridiron, where I can't remember hearing it misused like the posh guy did.  "All the way" necessary means a long way, it's stupid otherwise.

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Yes.

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I know it more from when I used to watch gridiron, where I can't remember hearing it misused like the posh guy did.  "All the way" necessary means a long way, it's stupid otherwise.

Nonsense.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Interesting to see Bateman selected at Right Centre and Connor on the bench.  Probably expecting a strong attack outside and Batemans tackling ability trumping Connors.  Fair enough imo, but I hope we see Connor coming on in a role where he has a chance at the NZ line.

45 minutes ago, latchford albion said:
3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Nonsense.

No, it makes perfect sense.  Consider that the ball has already been advanced most of the way needed in order to score as it had in the case which I mentioned, so the remaining distance is only a small fraction of that total.  In that context, "All the way" is a stupid comment to make.

I have done some match announcing.

Sometimes it has been because the person doing it has either dried up and panicked just before or a few minutes into the match.  I am technically terrible, but just being able to not be flustered and avoid stating the obvious was enough to get me a very good reputation.

In others words, but being able to chat amiably about it appears, oddly, to be a rare talent.  For whatever reason, must on this thread would not be able to do it at all in real life.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

No, it makes perfect sense.  Consider that the ball has already been advanced most of the way needed in order to score as it had in the case which I mentioned, so the remaining distance is only a small fraction of that total.  In that context, "All the way" is a stupid comment to make.

A commentator wouldn’t say a hooker going over from acting half had gone “all the way”. He might say it if a player busts through a tackle or two from thirty metres out.

rldfsignature.jpg

35 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I have done some match announcing.

Sometimes it has been because the person doing it has either dried up and panicked just before or a few minutes into the match.  I am technically terrible, but just being able to not be flustered and avoid stating the obvious was enough to get me a very good reputation.

In others words, but being able to chat amiably about it appears, oddly, to be a rare talent.  For whatever reason, mu,st on this thread would not be able to do it at all in real life.

Even you struggle at times Bob.

rldfsignature.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:39 PM, Kayakman said:

It means that there are many different paths to accomplish a goal.

Well yes, that's exactly what is meant, though I confess, I learnt the saying as, "there's more than one way to skin a cat", and since Nobby believes there to be a thousand, then my, 'more than one',  is probably a little nearer the truth.

Not that I'd ever have ago at Nobby, he's talked the talk, walked the walk, got the T-shirt, made the video and everything else in RL apart from maybe having made the movie. What's a bit of exaggeration between friends? 

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

I know it's a difficult job and it's probably hard to find a broadcaster who knows about RL but I found it cringe-worthy.

Should have been better prepared. Maybe didn't have much time to prepare  but didn't seem to understand rules about tackling or being held up in goal. Terminology was an issue too. Suggested Dews might kick a "field goal" early on in the game instead of a new set from 10 away. Called offloads "back passes". Probably best when she was just describing what was happening instead of offering an opinion or speculating about the game. 

I thought she got a bit better as the match went on and Noble did more of the talking. Can't fault her enthusiasm. I'm sure we've all had a rough first day on the job. I wish her well and hope she gets better as she learns about the game.

Archived