The Flying Dentist RIP

Just heard that Wilf Rosenberg has passed away aged 84...

Before my time (honest!) but sounds like he was some player for Leeds and Hull FC.

RIP

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

A special player by all accounts. One of many from SA. RIP Wilf.

Can recall reading in one of the RL mags some years back his son/grandson (can't recall which) was interesting Leeds at one point. Also a half back.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Well before my time too, but his exploits will live on. A remarkable player by all accounts.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well before my time too but I love the history of the players from yore.

Capped 5 times by the 'boks' Rosenberg was a superb player who switched codes to join Leeds in 1959 for a fee of £6000, scoring 73 tries from 81 appearances (his 48 in 60/61 is still a Leeds record I think). Moved to Hull for two seasons from 1961-62 and dotted down 42 times in 86 app before returning to South Africa in '64.

He apparently played on the opposite wing when a certain young Welsh lad scored a hat-trick as a triallist.

Nice interview here from a few years back http://www.jewishtelegraph.com/prof_113.html and a bit of footage of him here in Leeds colours 

How good were those 2 tries, very skilful, miss seeing play like that. The ball movement was great, how rugby union ever was called the running game I'll never know (well I do really).

Sadly if Rosenberg were playing in today's structured game he would have to jump for the high ball lottery style and make some yards from acting half.

3 hours ago, rlno1 said:

How good were those 2 tries, very skilful, miss seeing play like that. The ball movement was great, how rugby union ever was called the running game I'll never know (well I do really).

Sadly if Rosenberg were playing in today's structured game he would have to jump for the high ball lottery style and make some yards from acting half.

Oh, give is a break please will you?  Structured my @**e.  How good was Gildart's 66 yard try or was it not? How good were various tries scored in the corner flags this year?

14 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Well before my time too but I love the history of the players from yore.

Capped 5 times by the 'boks' Rosenberg was a superb player who switched codes to join Leeds in 1959 for a fee of £6000, scoring 73 tries from 81 appearances (his 48 in 60/61 is still a Leeds record I think). Moved to Hull for two seasons from 1961-62 and dotted down 42 times in 86 app before returning to South Africa in '64.

He apparently played on the opposite wing when a certain young Welsh lad scored a hat-trick as a triallist.

Nice interview here from a few years back http://www.jewishtelegraph.com/prof_113.html and a bit of footage of him here in Leeds colours 

The final picture is worthy of printing on the famous pictures thread.   It reminds me of a great picture (as used to be seen in The Royal Oak) of Billy Boston going over in the corner for his 7th try, I think, against Dewsbury. 

Archived