Super league minimum ground criteria

London Broncos been told they must erect a temp stand at there ground to take seating capacity upto 2k as that is the minimum for super league, they will comply with this, but why do castleford get special dispensation from this rule as they dont have 2k seats and have done for the past 10 years

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plot thickens. If your genuinely asking a question get the stamped addressed envelope out

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

8 minutes ago, Codex said:

Who will sit in these new seats - travelling fans? 

besides the point why do clubs already in super league and have been for years dont have to stick to the same criteria, surely if there is any dispensations given it should be to the new club

43 minutes ago, gingdong said:

London Broncos been told they must erect a temp stand at there ground to take seating capacity upto 2k as that is the minimum for super league, they will comply with this, but why do castleford get special dispensation from this rule as they dont have 2k seats and have done for the past 10 years

Ah the joys of nicking some stands from the remnants of Scarborough FC, you can denounce your local rivals for their shortcomings Bravo haha

1 minute ago, thepimp007 said:

Ah the joys of nicking some stands from the remnants of Scarborough FC, you can denounce your local rivals for their shortcomings Bravo haha

sod all to do with that. they dont meet criteria end of, london got told they had to comply by seasons start why different rules for diff leagues

6 minutes ago, gingdong said:

besides the point why do clubs already in super league and have been for years dont have to stick to the same criteria, surely if there is any dispensations given it should be to the new club

Not really - if the rules change after you have reached SL then I have more sympathy than if they are in situ before you arrive. 

Think of it like NIMBYs - if you buy a house near a school then don't whine about double parking during the school run.

2 minutes ago, Codex said:

Not really - if the rules change after you have reached SL then I have more sympathy than if they are in situ before you arrive. 

Think of it like NIMBYs - if you buy a house near a school then don't whine about double parking during the school run.

fine so why do cas keep getting special dispensation ??

http://www.ealingtrailfinders.com/news/in-the-press-this-is-a-massive-call-that-will

It’s not the only proactive step the club are taking, however, with their stadium situation, Vallis Way’s capacity of 3,000, often the elephant in the room when talking about Ealing as a potential Premiership club, but work is underway to change that. “They’ve just started laying the groundworks for a new stand this week. That’ll be at the far end of the pitch and should take the capacity to five or six thousand. There are options to expand that further, as well, and for us that would be the dream, but we also know that if we were to go to the Premiership this season, we would have another option available to us.”

3 minutes ago, gingdong said:

fine so why do cas keep getting special dispensation ??

This seems a fair enough question.  My guess is its because they are in a (perpetual) discussion with their local authority about building a new stadium. Thus not anxious to waste money, only to then move. 

Just now, Codex said:

Ealing RU are the owners of the ground.

No they are not. It's owned by a charity connected to Mike Gooley, who also owns Trailfinders.

BTW I can't wait for you to reach 100 posts. The anticipation's almost too much to bear.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 minute ago, nadera78 said:

No they are not. It's owned by a charity connected to Mike Gooley, who also owns Trailfinders.

BTW I can't wait for you to reach 100 posts. The anticipation's almost too much to bear.

Splitting hairs, Gooley is Ealing RU. Not sure how the charity connection works - Ealing are not eligible for CASC status as they employ fulltime pros. 

6 minutes ago, Codex said:

Splitting hairs, Gooley is Ealing RU. Not sure how the charity connection works - Ealing are not eligible for CASC status as they employ fulltime pros. 

No, not at all. You said Ealing RU own the ground but they don't. The site is owned by a charity connected to Mike Gooley, who made his money via Trailfinders and owns Ealing RU. Ealing Trailfinders RU play there, as do London Broncos.

Here's another post for you to reply to as you inch your way to 100 and the promised land.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

56 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

No, not at all. You said Ealing RU own the ground but they don't. The site is owned by a charity connected to Mike Gooley, who made his money via Trailfinders and owns Ealing RU. Ealing Trailfinders RU play there, as do London Broncos.

Here's another post for you to reply to as you inch your way to 100 and the promised land.

Ok, so who is the money behind Ealing RU? Is it the guy who is the money behind the Broncos? Which team has primacy of tenure? 

How many does the Main Stand at Wheldon Rd hold?

Its the same how Swinton had to move from Segeley Park RU which is nearer to Swinton and a lot cheaper in rent due to falling short by 300 or so seats. (Apparently championship is min 3000 with 750 seated).......... Yet Sheffield are allowed to play on a college pitch with a flimsy nothing but 300 capacity golf tent stand 20 metres from the touchline. Loads of lip service about Olympic Legacy Park....but nothing actually happening!

I remember Leigh had to squeeze some more seats into the Tommy Sale stand when they were at Hilton Park. They had more seats than Cas in the first place.

This isnt a dig on Cas by the way. Wheldon Rd is brilliant, proper RL ground full of character and atmosphere! Love it.... Just more that whole British RL ethos is just makes it up as you go along!

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

This seems a fair enough question.  My guess is its because they are in a (perpetual) discussion with their local authority about building a new stadium. Thus not anxious to waste money, only to then move. 

fair enough but living locally i know that ground will never happen for various reasons so how long do the RFL / super league allow the charade to carry on. 5 years, 10 years / 15 years, serious question how long can they keep saying were GOING to move, it seems to me they keep throwing this line so they dont have to spend anything on ground maintenance 

1 hour ago, Codex said:

Ok, so who is the money behind Ealing RU? Is it the guy who is the money behind the Broncos? Which team has primacy of tenure? 

Mike Gooley is the main man at Ealing, David Hughes is the main man at Broncos. 

Ealing Trailfinders were anchor tenants when Broncos moved in and I have no reason to believe that has changed.

3 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

remember in 2008 both c#s and wakey got the nod over halifax because they said they would be in new stadiums by 2012 the next round of licensing

2 hours ago, Tim Streets tache said:

How many does the Main Stand at Wheldon Rd hold?

Its the same how Swinton had to move from Segeley Park RU which is nearer to Swinton and a lot cheaper in rent due to falling short by 300 or so seats. (Apparently championship is min 3000 with 750 seated).......... Yet Sheffield are allowed to play on a college pitch with a flimsy nothing but 300 capacity golf tent stand 20 metres from the touchline. Loads of lip service about Olympic Legacy Park....but nothing actually happening!

I remember Leigh had to squeeze some more seats into the Tommy Sale stand when they were at Hilton Park. They had more seats than Cas in the first place.

This isnt a dig on Cas by the way. Wheldon Rd is brilliant, proper RL ground full of character and atmosphere! Love it.... Just more that whole British RL ethos is just makes it up as you go along!

seems unfair on Sheffield.. the planned work on the stadium which will also host Sheffield United Ladies is supposed to be starting in February... not been out that way for a bit, but last time i was there (looking at the new Hallam Uni Food Engineering building, which is going to be fantastic!) there was some stuff going on on site.. Planning application and stuff went in in August, which I believe has been granted but not 100% sure.. so to say nothing actually happening is harsh IMHO

This was published only last week and mentioned the construction work by the Scarborough Group https://sheffieldolympiclegacypark.co.uk/latest-news/2018-a-picture-of-good-health-for-sheffield-olympic-legacy-park/?fbclid=IwAR1MUavQNb0gaMSPgQCu7jb8Vb2p0hK2RLUcaa6rEbCUbmYo68v2rF-FATo 

17 minutes ago, RP London said:

seems unfair on Sheffield.. the planned work on the stadium which will also host Sheffield United Ladies is supposed to be starting in February... not been out that way for a bit, but last time i was there (looking at the new Hallam Uni Food Engineering building, which is going to be fantastic!) there was some stuff going on on site.. Planning application and stuff went in in August, which I believe has been granted but not 100% sure.. so to say nothing actually happening is harsh IMHO

This was published only last week and mentioned the construction work by the Scarborough Group https://sheffieldolympiclegacypark.co.uk/latest-news/2018-a-picture-of-good-health-for-sheffield-olympic-legacy-park/?fbclid=IwAR1MUavQNb0gaMSPgQCu7jb8Vb2p0hK2RLUcaa6rEbCUbmYo68v2rF-FATo 

Just sounds like more lip service to be honest. They were saying the exact same thing this time last year! Its just literally a cage, a 3g pitch and a tent with some seats. That is their "stadium"

I really hope they do get it sorted though. Such a shame the club couldnt capitalise on winning the cup in 98. They have had a nomadic existence in recent years too so at least they are back in their city on the grounds of their spiritual home

19 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Just sounds like more lip service to be honest. They were saying the exact same thing this time last year! Its just literally a cage, a 3g pitch and a tent with some seats. That is their "stadium"

I really hope they do get it sorted though. Such a shame the club couldnt capitalise on winning the cup in 98. They have had a nomadic existence in recent years too so at least they are back in their city on the grounds of their spiritual home

Thats not strictly true.. last year the talk was about getting the single stand up this time the talk is about getting the full stadium up and building which hadnt even been designed this time last year as the Scarborough Group had not even been told fully who was going to get to run/own it and the council were still pratting about with issues around tenants etc.. its has moved on quite a long way since then.

Archived