Club statement

Maureen T-k

I don't live in the town, but putting Rovers' interests aside, would this be a good thing or a bad thing for the people of Featherstone? As I live in Sharlston I would want it because more housing would bring more shops and supermarkets and persuade me to shop there rather than Normanton.

Every time I go into Castleford and emerge from under the M62 bridge I say to myself "How on earth did they get planning permission to build there?" That was proper Green Belt while this is a bit of ugly scrubland we're talking about.

Recently before a match I had a bit of spare time. I thought about old times and decided to have a walk round Purston Park and round the fields behind the Park that I used to play on as a kid. We called them the 'hilly fields'. When I exited the Park all I could see were houses on the field we used to play on and the farmer used for his sheep and cattle. If it was that east to get planning on THAT land I can see no objection to our development.  

I live very close to the ground and would back the development. I'm generally in favour of any development in Featherstone. I didn't grow up around the area though so I won't share the nostalgia that others might.

Do we have any detailed info on what the development will be? I'm assuming it will just be houses/flats. Wetherspoons anyone?

13 minutes ago, fevtom said:

I live very close to the ground and would back the development. I'm generally in favour of any development in Featherstone. I didn't grow up around the area though so I won't share the nostalgia that others might.

Do we have any detailed info on what the development will be? I'm assuming it will just be houses/flats. Wetherspoons anyone?

IIRC there are approx. 10 acres that the Club would like to develop of which roughly 8 are greenbelt and 2 brownbelt. I don't think development plans are particularly advanced but a mixture of housing and light industrial was mentioned.

Edit - will likely take 6 years to achieve preferred goals.

10 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

IIRC there are approx. 10 acres that the Club would like to develop of which roughly 8 are greenbelt and 2 brownbelt. I don't think development plans are particularly advanced but a mixture of housing and light industrial was mentioned.

Edit - will likely take 6 years to achieve preferred goals.

So is the fenced off land the club's?  I always thought the club's land was further up towards the railway.

1 minute ago, David Shepherd said:

So is the fenced off land the club's?  I always thought the club's land was further up towards the railway.

I'm not sure where the fencing is having not seen it, but the Local Plan map covering the area already shows land earmarked for potential housing coming as far as approx. halfway up the ground http://map.wakefield.gov.uk/connect/analyst/mobile/#/main?mapcfg=LPconsultation&zoom=6&x=442900&y=419100

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'm not sure where the fencing is having not seen it, but the Local Plan map covering the area already shows land earmarked for potential housing coming as far as approx. halfway up the ground http://map.wakefield.gov.uk/connect/analyst/mobile/#/main?mapcfg=LPconsultation&zoom=6&x=442900&y=419100

Ah right.  The fenced off bit appears to be the parcel immediately to the post office road side of the green area, the bit that says "46m" on the map.

6 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Ah right.  The fenced off bit appears to be the parcel immediately to the post office road side of the green area, the bit that says "46m" on the map.

This one's better (consultation as opposed to adopted). if you check 'Housing Employment Special Policy' it shows the area in red - LP719 http://map.wakefield.gov.uk/connect/analyst/mobile/#/main?mapcfg=LPconsultation&zoom=6&x=442900&y=419100 Looks like the area already built on plus some extra.

On 2/25/2019 at 5:29 PM, Michael Bates said:

Some interesting signs were pinned to the newly appeared fences on Sunday, seems the locals aren't happy

you have got to go back when council demolished Lister baths and sold land for houses well they didn't own land   left to FEV BY Lord Lister and when it was sold no money came to FEV  same with this parcel of land left by Lord Lister don't own sold off so money in their back pockets people not happy cos some wanted to buy land and give to ROVERS  wasn't open to tender just gifted to builders doing houses back of ponte road   there's also talk of building an access road the to new housing estate joining on to post office road  and one more thing council got 40k lottery funding to build new road from green lane to cricket field  with a new car park next to railway lines  didn't bother kept the money and built gravel track across this common land so cricketers could park on ROVERS  training pitches  last time it kicked off FEV got rid of all it's labour councilors  so going to be interesting next council elections

3 hours ago, POR said:

you have got to go back when council demolished Lister baths and sold land for houses well they didn't own land   left to FEV BY Lord Lister and when it was sold no money came to FEV  same with this parcel of land left by Lord Lister don't own sold off so money in their back pockets people not happy cos some wanted to buy land and give to ROVERS  wasn't open to tender just gifted to builders doing houses back of ponte road   there's also talk of building an access road the to new housing estate joining on to post office road  and one more thing council got 40k lottery funding to build new road from green lane to cricket field  with a new car park next to railway lines  didn't bother kept the money and built gravel track across this common land so cricketers could park on ROVERS  training pitches  last time it kicked off FEV got rid of all it's labour councilors  so going to be interesting next council elections

I say get rid of them all again, why do we always lose out.

Archived