Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lowdesert

Game isn’t waiting for the NRL

Recommended Posts

Steve "Rock & Roll" Mascord........

Could not care less what he thinks.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Allora said:

Steve "Rock & Roll" Mascord........

Could not care less what he thinks.

 

But its true what he says in many cases. The NRL with Greenburg dont care about the International Game. Its too scared to even start doing anything about putting a team in Perth and make it a NATIONAL RL. Too many people at the NRL are holding the game back in Australia nevermind the International Game.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Allora said:

Steve "Rock & Roll" Mascord........

Could not care less what he thinks.

 

You're turning into the Aussie Parksider.

 

"Qualification for the 2025 World Cup (to be held – where?) will actually start before 2021 is played!"

 

Oh for goodness sake! 

Every other major sport out there leaves WC qualification as late as possible before the event.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Oh for goodness sake! 

Every other major sport out there leaves WC qualification as late as possible before the event.

Really?

All of the union WC qualifiers were decided 11 months out.

All of the cricket WC qualifiers were decided 14 months out.

Incidentally, it would be very 'rugby league' to have the qualifiers as late as possible before the event - probably a double-header at Leigh the Tuesday before - but the facts don't bear it out.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NRL are frozen in time but it doesn’t matter because they have plenty of money from tv rights doing what they are doing. Most Australians aren’t much interested in what’s outside the country’s borders and RL over there seems to be of the same mind.

RL needs to move on internationally as it seems to be doing. Sports like ice hockey have internationals without na pro players being available. It evens up the teams a bit. 

Th 2025 WC is an issue. Qualifying for it before the 2021 event starts has to be incorrect. Also, England don’t want to do it, Australia isn’t really interested. NA could still be an option but I'd like to see it in Southern Europe, but the finances to get it up and running could be a sticking point. 

Edited by RayCee

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RayCee said:

The NRL are frozen in time but it doesn’t matter because they have plenty of money from tv rights doing what they are doing. Most Australians aren’t much interested in what’s outside the country’s borders and RL is the same.

RL needs to move on internationally as it seems to be doing. Sports like ice hockey have held world cups without na pro players being available. It evens up the teams a bit. 

Th 2025 WC is an issue. Qualifying for it before the 2021 event starts has to be incorrect. Also, England don’t want to do it, Australia isn’t really interested. NA could still be an option but I'd like to see it in Southern Europe, but the finances to get it up and running could be a sticking point. 

"The NRL are frozen in time" Correct.

What are the NRL actually doing to expand Rugby League?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

"The NRL are frozen in time" Correct.

What are the NRL actually doing to expand Rugby League?

Nothing comes to mind.

  • Confused 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NRL has its own battles in its backyard to contend with before it starts using its resources on the international game. Still no team in Perth or Adelaide, but people want them spending money on countries overseas.

Edited by Mr Wind Up
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

The NRL has its own battles in its backyard to contend with before it starts using its resources on the international game. Still no team in Perth or Adelaide, but people want them spending money on countries overseas.

And no real signs of putting a team in Perth at the moment either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

The NRL has its own battles in its backyard to contend with before it starts using its resources on the international game. Still no team in Perth or Adelaide, but people want them spending money on countries overseas.

The meetings looks like they are pushing for stricter rules regarding RLIF membership.  Also they are trying to get our game the recognition that it failed in last time.

We need the NRL on board as collectively we are stronger.  i don’t think money is a big factor here.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not like Steve Mascord or agree with much he posts.

He sits on the sidelines and tries to be controversial to get attention for himself IMO 

Is the NRL Insular? I don't know but I do know they do more to spread the game through the Pacific Islands and NZ although that is not their mandate than anything happening in the Norther Hemisphere.

How is France, Wales, Ireland and Scotland going?

Everyone bangs on about Perth and to a lesser extent Adelaide, If the the NRL thought they could make it work they will.

Last time a team was in Perth is was going broke within a year.

When you have several teams already in financial trouble in the NRL would you be taking advice on where they should be spending their money from the Hacks on TRL?

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RayCee said:

The NRL are frozen in time but it doesn’t matter because they have plenty of money from tv rights doing what they are doing. Most Australians aren’t much interested in what’s outside the country’s borders and RL over there seems to be of the same mind.

RL needs to move on internationally as it seems to be doing. Sports like ice hockey have internationals without na pro players being available. It evens up the teams a bit. 

Th 2025 WC is an issue. Qualifying for it before the 2021 event starts has to be incorrect. Also, England don’t want to do it, Australia isn’t really interested. NA could still be an option but I'd like to see it in Southern Europe, but the finances to get it up and running could be a sticking point. 

That is your opinion.

It may not be based on reality or be correct.


Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pulga said:

You're turning into the Aussie Parksider.

 

"Qualification for the 2025 World Cup (to be held – where?) will actually start before 2021 is played!"

 

Oh for goodness sake! 

 

 

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

Th 2025 WC is an issue. Qualifying for it before the 2021 event starts has to be incorrect. 

I just read this as March 2021 being the first step of qualification, which was that you had to have achieved affiliate status by that point to be part of the qualification for 2025.

I think this is very sensible to be honest. I expect we will give the 8 Quarter finalists an automatic spot like last time, but this would prevent the situation where Scotland (or similar) gets to qualify despite not meeting the minimum requirements. 

Getting stricter on minimum requirements has been wanted for a while, I have no issues with that.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

"The NRL are frozen in time" Correct.

What are the NRL actually doing to expand Rugby League?

Are you new to the game?

More than any other body in this code, if you think otherwise I would love to see what you have to say.


Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Allora said:

That is your opinion.

It may not be based on reality or be correct.

But then again it may be.

  • Like 3

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RayCee said:

But then again it may be.

You appear to be a Kiwi, but have lots to say about Aussies

What if the National Rugby League had not admitted your bunch of eternal underachievers?

How would the game be in the Shaky Islands today?

What is NZ doing to promote the game or even get its one team competitive?

  • Confused 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Allora said:

I do not like Steve Mascord or agree with much he posts.

He sits on the sidelines and tries to be controversial to get attention for himself IMO 

Is the NRL Insular? I don't know but I do know they do more to spread the game through the Pacific Islands and NZ although that is not their mandate than anything happening in the Norther Hemisphere.

 How is France, Wales, Ireland and Scotland going?

Everyone bangs on about Perth and to a lesser extent Adelaide, If the the NRL thought they could make it work they will.

Last time a team was in Perth is was going broke within a year.

When you have several teams already in financial trouble in the NRL would you be taking advice on where they should be spending their money from the Hacks on TRL?

 

 

I don't disagree with much of what you say here. I have little time for Mascord's articles too, they are often written with an authority that cannot be backed up.

I also think there is some unwarranted criticism of the Aussies, there is a lot of good work going on, but I think they are guilty of over-stepping the mark and being a bit over-controlling, but things could be much worse. The Denver test was probably the Australian system at its worst, but that was the players association wasn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dave T said:

I don't disagree with much of what you say here. I have little time for Mascord's articles too, they are often written with an authority that cannot be backed up.

I also think there is some unwarranted criticism of the Aussies, there is a lot of good work going on, but I think they are guilty of over-stepping the mark and being a bit over-controlling, but things could be much worse. The Denver test was probably the Australian system at its worst, but that was the players association wasn't it?

I did not take much interest in the Denver Test as it was doomed to be any sort of success without all of the relevant organisations agreement.

Even if the players association was on board and the NRL it was never going to work, more of a Fantasy than any reality with solid foundations.

The promoter was a Chancer and time has shown his credentials. 


Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Allora said:

I did not take much interest in the Denver Test as it was doomed to be any sort of success without all of the relevant organisations agreement.

 Even if the players association was on board and the NRL it was never going to work, more of a Fantasy than any reality with solid foundations.

The promoter was a Chancer and time has shown his credentials. 

The thing is though, that whilst he clearly couldn't deliver, there is always the nagging thing there that the game was staged by people with one hand tied behind their back. I have little knowledge or loyalty to Moore, but the game attracted 18k (not to be sniffed at) and got a fair bit of media profile. That it was so badly delivered (for whatever reason) actually makes me relatively excited that maybe that 18k could have been substantially higher. 

We are moving into a period where it will be difficult to just keep staging World Cups in Aus and England, we need to be testing these new markets, and when we do test them, we should be leaving no stone unturned to make it a success. The effort of the sport was probably 4 or 5 out of 10 for that game. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Allora said:

You appear to be a Kiwi, but have lots to say about Aussies

What if the National Rugby League had not admitted your bunch of eternal underachievers?

How would the game be in the Shaky Islands today?

What is NZ doing to promote the game or even get its one team competitive?

You loathe Steve Mascord, someone I enjoy hearing what he has to say. 

You take a cheap shot at NZ RL, stripped of its players by greedy NRL clubs who send dozens of scouts over every year to plunder it’s player stocks. That severely weakens the quality of domestic RL in NZ. If it was such an underachieving RL nation, the NRL wouldn’t waste their time coming over. 

RL was expanding nicely in Australia until the end of the SL war and have done nothing since. Decades of no expansion, no real interest in International RL, and can’t even bother contributing to the meeting in Singapore. The game needs to move forward Internationally, with or without Australia. 

 

  • Like 7

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the NRL expands ....  and they have every right to do so and make it successful .... then we in the UK need to be careful what we wish for.

Because it will almost inevitably mean that even more of our best players (and their agents) will head down under.   The expansion clubs and the existing ones will need to find decent players from somewhere.

Its already questionable how good many of our imports are when compared to our own home growns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RayCee said:

You loathe Steve Mascord, someone I enjoy hearing what he has to say. 

You take a cheap shot at NZ RL, stripped of its players by greedy NRL clubs who send dozens of scouts over every year to plunder it’s player stocks. That severely weakens the quality of domestic RL in NZ. If it was such an underachieving RL nation, the NRL wouldn’t waste their time coming over. 

RL was expanding nicely in Australia until the end of the SL war and have done nothing since. Decades of no expansion, no real interest in International RL, and can’t even bother contributing to the meeting in Singapore. The game needs to move forward Internationally, with or without Australia. 

 

I did not say loathe, dislike is what I would say.

NZ Rugby League has withered on the Vine for so many years due to poor management, player and Coach  acquisition the Sam Tomkins deal was just one example of paying over for a Player that was likely to struggle.

You say greedy NRL Clubs sending Scouts to plunder the player stocks.

Melbourne Storm started from scratch and had to find and develop players from other Junior Leagues unlike the Warriors and they seem to have done ok against all of those other mercenary NRL Clubs

Why can't these players be scouted by your local people, they are in the box seat being at the junior games and offering a spot in the local NRL Club side or its feeder clubs

Build your foundations and players will not relocate for a job in Australia.

What has NZ done to build the game in the Pacific? It historically has played more heritage players than any other Country including more than a few second generation Australians.

You do realise how much the Super League war set the game back in Australia don't you?

It has had long term ramifications about expansion.

Look it up Raycee.

On a final note, I watch 2 or 3 games of NRL a week, when I see a Club I like to watch playing the Warriors I generally move on to another game because they are perennial basketcases that are frustrating to watch, I think the TV figures in Oz will bear my sentiments out.

I am sure they have lots of British fans that want a team to beat the Aussie Clubs but that does not count much on the amount the TV deal brings in.

Edited by Allora

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...