NZ Warriors & NRL Refs

I am from NZ I support the NZ National Side the Kiwis that is what got me interested in Rugby League in the 1st place. As I like this sport and i am from NZ I support the Warriors by default as my local team. Like many clubs NZ Warriors have had there on and off field issues. But they are almost always on the wrong end of marginal calls and penalty counts and occasionally blatantly obvious poor referring calls. It has become so ingrained for 25 years now that its an aussie comp & NZ Warriors will be unlikely to get a fair go from refs that it is just the way it is. Well over the last two years and the last month in particular it has gotten extremely bad. Its long past time for the NZ Warriors, NZ media, Warriors supporters etc to take official action. Its just not good enough that paid officials could continually be that poor at there job so often in regards to one club in particular, I have always thought there is some kind of sub conscious patriotic bias happening but now im of the opinion that it is some element of corruption involved!

NZ only government regulated betting agency an organisation not know for it generosity for refunding bets... see the cricket world cup... has agreed to refund all bets placed on Warriors most recent game due to the quality of the reffing. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/warriors/114561316/tab-refund-warriors-punters-after-disgraceful-officiating-decision-in-eels-defeat

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/warriors/114560482/the-controversial-calls-that-cost-the-new-zealand-warriors-dearly-against-parramatta-eels

NRL makes a lot money out of NZ in TV rights, Sponsorship and merchandise and reinvests nothing back into in the country or the local game in the New Zealand and to top it of the refs have been pure biased and corrupt. Things just have to change i cant watch a contest where one team has to be better than the ref and the opposition to win.

36 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Things just have to change i cant watch a contest where one team has to be better than the ref and the opposition to win.

The trouble with this kind of argument is the idea it's conspiratorial but that game and a few of the Dragon's lead to the same idea the weighting of a penalty count has a huge contribution and it makes for frustration about refffing and the game as a whole. Anyone who hasn't seen this should watch the whole game and see just how strangely it unfolds.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I don't for one minute subscribe to any conspiracy theory here. Referees make mistakes and some clubs seem to be on the wrong end of them more often than others. You know which they are.

The refs in NRL, I'm convinced, go out there to be impartial and accurate.

They are human and make errors.

It should never be that something referred to the bunker is got wrong.

Likewise I'm uncomfortable when referees are given one or two particular things to jump on, which can, like early last season, lead to broken up games and frustration in  players and fans alike.

We all tend to think our team gets badly done to at times. It does happen. I don't view that this is in any way deliberate bias.

NRL refs do need to raise their game. There are more errors than are acceptable for the safety of players and the fairness of the outcomes.

I dont think Refs are biased, but the system is all wrong.I feel there is too much pressure on Match Officials. Get rid of the Bunker and Video Refs. I feel we need to go back to Refs making decisions. Too much technology trying to get the perfect decision has led us to being further away from it.

I also think the Game needs to get some consistancy back and make things more black and white. There is so much "open to interpretation" that leads to so much confusion. For instance, how do the disciplinary give Cotric 3 Weeks, Isaac 2 Weeks and Jake T is allowed to play in the next game, for all similar dangerous tackles? Why do some Refs, allow a player two does a shoulder charge, to stay on a field and yet another Ref sinbins another who collided with another player with his shoulder? Its not clear why these decision are made. This helps fuel the fans of a conspiracy theory.

I think if the NRL made it clear on things it would help everybody. If we had things in Black and White, I feel then it would help Match Officials and the Judiciary to make life easier. It would decrease the uncertainty, which leads to the Match Officials, Judiciary, NRL to being accused off such things as incompetent, biased etc.

In that little bundle of inconsistencies LRL you can add Ponga who was binned at the end by the onfield refs but will not face any charges, as in my opinion he didn't deserve sending off.

I mean the only thing nowadays if you were to get rid of the bunker then the tries would still be analysed by the TV pundits present who'd jump on any  errors pointing them out. The refs then would be undermined.

I wish i had had access to NRL video rights of Warriors bad calls over the last several years and the impact it has had on recent seasons, it would make a very interesting youtube video if not  a segment on current affairs, type of TV show.  

I only have a feeling about NRL reffing corruption with all these bad calls going against one team who happen to be the only non Australian team in the NRL. but you only need to look at Australian banking sectors recent deliberate illegal behavior as found by an Australian Government review. In Sport look at recent cheating by the Australian Cricket team with sand paper ball tampering. Anyone remember Ryan Tandy who was found to be a corrupt NRL player involved in a far wider conspiracy and later sadly died. Or what about this corrupt NBA ref in video below, to see what can possibly happen.

21 minutes ago, Graham said:

Summary of that Fox Sports article

Annesley: Warriors entitled to be aggrieved.

All four officials, refs and touch judges will be relegated for R20

It’s not the first time this season that’s happened though. Is that sanction enough or is it a piecemeal attempt to keep the Warriors placated. I don’t know the answer but from a neutral perspective I can certainly feel the grievances of the Warriors. 

I certainly believe 1 ref is better than 2 ref system where there’s a lack of responsibility and accountability 

Kearney has a special go at the interpretation refs now seem to be giving over stripping the ball. In his own special wording Stephen has indicated that he thinks this interpretation now being inconsistently used should be gone.

Among many things, Kearney was particularly frustrated by several decisions around stripping the ball; Chanel Harris-Tavita was penalised midway through the second half when he appeared to be the only one in the tackle, while towards the end of the match the Eels dislodged the ball from Gerard Beale with multiple tacklers, but the referees ruled it was a knock on.

"If they can't adjudicate on it properly, go back to normal," said Kearney. "Leave it alone. If they can't get right, which today it was pretty comprehensive that they couldn't, just leave it as it was.

all four officials dropped for next week... that had to happen! still wont change the fact the warriors chances of making the semi's has been severely buggered by reffing calls this season. Also inconsistencies in Suspension lengths have been happening for years. When the mid season Anzac test where around Kiwis got suspended Aussies walked for the same thing! Check the link still going on all these years see issac luke suspended vs trbojevic walks...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12253501

Then there are other issues like Cameron Smith is afforded privileges with ref that no other captain is given and we have all seen it happen before our eyes but it happens so often that it just becomes what you expect and nobody questions why he gets these special privileges anymore?

Then there are other issues like Cameron Smith is afforded privileges with ref that no other captain is given and we have all seen it happen before our eyes but it happens so often that it just becomes what you expect and nobody questions why he gets these special privileges anymore?

Ah yes, that old chestnut. Could it not be that Cameron knows the rules and conducts himself with both composure and confidence when talking to refs? They sound like just the qualities a good captain should have when representing his team mates and club.

In Roger Tuivasa-Sheck you have a superb playing captain. He’s in great form, running the football brilliantly. He’s a top class player and a great example on and off the field, training hard and has plenty of time for the fans. 

Just appreciate what you have in RTS. There’s no need to slate Cam Smith.

The Warriors won`t make the top eight because they`re not good enough,end of story. But the refereeing and bunker decisions that go against them every season is shocking,how it`s only just been noticed by the NRL heirachy shows that the Aussies know it`s their game and the Kiwi team is basically a pain in the ######. Still,the game`s all about money now and Sky do well showing Warriors games,plus of course the NRL is something the NZRFU would love to disappear into the ether and never return. 

On 30/07/2019 at 05:02, Graham said:

Ah yes, that old chestnut. Could it not be that Cameron knows the rules and conducts himself with both composure and confidence when talking to refs? They sound like just the qualities a good captain should have when representing his team mates and club.

In Roger Tuivasa-Sheck you have a superb playing captain. He’s in great form, running the football brilliantly. He’s a top class player and a great example on and off the field, training hard and has plenty of time for the fans. 

Just appreciate what you have in RTS. There’s no need to slate Cam Smith.

Cameron Smith received a Caravan, a speed boat & brown paper bags of cash, outside the salary cap and got away with it without any punishment! The Joke about his 400 game was he had only refereed 360 of those games.  

The NZ Warriors are not the best performing club but putting that to one side they have turned the other cheek so many times in the face of bias officials. If a ref has a 50/50 it goes against the NZ club as they less like to come back to bite the match official if they rule against the one NZ side. Then there is this one occasion where racism & officials conspiring to cover up a dodgy call can be proven to have occurred against the NZ Warriors.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/114635053/former-warriors-coach-mark-graham-reveals-racist-slurs-by-referee

Now it seems that Knights are to ask politely that Henry Perenara not be the ref in any of their games in the rest of the season upt to the finals. Apparently he doesn't suit the style of play of the Knights (What?).

They must have totted up their results with him as the ref and out of 27 matches they have only won 6 of them.

How on earth can they expect to try to influence which referees they have or don't have?

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Now it seems that Knights are to ask politely that Henry Perenara not be the ref in any of their games in the rest of the season upt to the finals. Apparently he doesn't suit the style of play of the Knights (What?).

They must have totted up their results with him as the ref and out of 27 matches they have only won 6 of them.

How on earth can they expect to try to influence which referees they have or don't have?

It's been done before in RL and Soccer over here so nothing new.

The 2 ref system is not working in the NRL

NRL refs are behind Super League refs.

Ask someone like Phil Gould who despite his detractors knows more about Rugby League than almost anyone in the history of the game and he will tell you that he prefers the way Super League refs ref the game than NRL refs.

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The 2 ref system is not working in the NRL

NRL refs are behind Super League refs.

Ask someone like Phil Gould who despite his detractors knows more about Rugby League than almost anyone in the history of the game and he will tell you that he prefers the way Super League refs ref the game than NRL refs.

The NRL refs are embarrassingly useless, but they’re a product of their environment. They micromanage parts of the game, rather than actually managing an overall game like a single ref would. So no one actually takes charge. Prime example is the Melbourne vs Souths game today where Melbourne gave away 8 penalties in 16 minutes and didn’t even get a warning, let alone a sin bin. It was embarrassing.

The HIA situation in NRL is also disgraceful 

Archived