29 matches is too many

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know many here hate the NFL. However, I think they have a better approach than we have - OK, they have conferences, etc. But the emphasis seems to be on more quality over quantity.

I believe a longer off season would be good for the sport.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

1 hour ago, Mister Ting said:

I know many here hate the NFL. However, I think they have a better approach than we have - OK, they have conferences, etc. But the emphasis seems to be on more quality over quantity.

I believe a longer off season would be good for the sport.

We don't hate the NFL , we just don't necessarily see it as relevant to RL in this country , it is a massive money making machine , with mega rich owners , it is THE primary sport in the US , its equivalent over here would be football 

We are a localised sport trying to keep and build our profile with little help from the national press and media , we struggle to bring in sponsorship and indeed owner investment 

Us and the NFL share very little other than the shape of the ball , not saying we can't learn from any other sport , but constantly having the NFL thrown at us is becoming tiresome 

Interestingly enough , it could well be the ' extra ' loop fixtures that help Toronto to get the green light from the SL owners , the issue of Toronto's early season games is easily sorted , they request their loop fixtures are played at the start of the season , playing their 3 home loops in either Yorkshire or Lancashire depending on who their opponents are 

So if it's Wigan and Wire , they play at the LSV and the Halton , if their Yorkshire loop is Cas ,they play at Fev or Fax , if they then start with an away that gives them the 1st 7 weeks of the season sorted , then each other SL club then has only 1 visit to Canada , negating any arguments about unfair travelling 

Sorted 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Interestingly enough , it could well be the ' extra ' loop fixtures that help Toronto to get the green light from the SL owners , the issue of Toronto's early season games is easily sorted , they request their loop fixtures are played at the start of the season , playing their 3 home loops in either Yorkshire or Lancashire depending on who their opponents are 

So if it's Wigan and Wire , they play at the LSV and the Halton , if their Yorkshire loop is Cas ,they play at Fev or Fax , if they then start with an away that gives them the 1st 7 weeks of the season sorted , then each other SL club then has only 1 visit to Canada , negating any arguments about unfair travelling 

Sorted 

Sounds like you just might be coming around...finally.  Now that wasn't too hard was it?

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Sounds like you just might be coming around...finally.  Now that wasn't too hard was it?

Never been a problem for me Kman , there are issues , primarily with the payer pool point , but I've always thought we can just about stretch to 2 NA clubs in the short term 

44 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

We don't hate the NFL , we just don't necessarily see it as relevant to RL in this country , it is a massive money making machine , with mega rich owners , it is THE primary sport in the US , its equivalent over here would be football 

We are a localised sport trying to keep and build our profile with little help from the national press and media , we struggle to bring in sponsorship and indeed owner investment 

Us and the NFL share very little other than the shape of the ball , not saying we can't learn from any other sport , but constantly having the NFL thrown at us is becoming tiresome 

I would reckon the nearest American sport to soccer in this country, as far as participants go, would be basketball. Gridiron is the equal in crowds.

Using the excuse of being a localised sport just isn't good enough.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Never been a problem for me Kman , there are issues , primarily with the payer pool point , but I've always thought we can just about stretch to 2 NA clubs in the short term 

YOU HAVE!!!!!   YOU HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!!!  MIRACLES CAN OCCUR!

Just now, Mister Ting said:

I would reckon the nearest American sport to soccer in this country, as far as participants go, would be basketball. Gridiron is the equal in crowds.

Using the excuse of being a localised sport just isn't good enough.

We aren't discussing participation 

We are discussing a struggling regional sport devoid of money , profile and investment 

The equivalent to the NFL is football 

We aren't discussing participation 

We are discussing a struggling regional sport devoid of money , profile and investment 

The equivalent to the NFL is football 

Who said we aren't discussing participation? Do you think the small numbers we have will actually turn into mega bucks for our higher competitions?

The equivalent to soccer in the USA doesn't really exist, they have a totally different attitude to sport. Very few people play gridiron.

9 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Who said we aren't discussing participation? Do you think the small numbers we have will actually turn into mega bucks for our higher competitions?

The equivalent to soccer in the USA doesn't really exist, they have a totally different attitude to sport. Very few people play gridiron.

What the recent point of discussion was is the use of the NFL as an example why SL should/can reduce the number of games it plays 

Participation hasn't been mentioned by anybody or even referred to by anybody but your good self 

1 minute ago, whatmichaelsays said:

It's not that long ago that American football was a small, regional sport that was struggling for media attention. Sounds oddly familiar, doesn't it?

How long ago ? , What were the other sports that dwarfed it at that time ?

Just now, GUBRATS said:

What the recent point of discussion was is the use of the NFL as an example why SL should/can reduce the number of games it plays 

Participation hasn't been mentioned by anybody or even referred to by anybody but your good self 

You're right, only the structure of the NFL competition as been discussed. However, for any successful league to flourish, a pathway from lower levels, especially junior leagues is required.

The fact that I raised this issue within this thread doesn't mean it doesn't have any relevance to the argument.

Let's not forget that you think the NFL is equivalent to our football.

3 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

You're right, only the structure of the NFL competition as been discussed. However, for any successful league to flourish, a pathway from lower levels, especially junior leagues is required.

The fact that I raised this issue within this thread doesn't mean it doesn't have any relevance to the argument.

Let's not forget that you think the NFL is equivalent to our football.

The NFL is a huge money making media drawing behemoth followed by hundreds of millions of people 

The EPL and indeed the English Championship is a huge money making media drawing behemoth followed by hundreds of millions of people 

Sounds very similar to me , one is in the USA , the other is in the UK 

Just now, whatmichaelsays said:

Football trailled baseball until the  mid-1960s (https://news.gallup.com/poll/4735/sports.aspx). It was very much concentrated in the North East (still is to some extent).

So 60 years ago ? , RL has been dwarfed by Football for twice that long 

Any comparison is nonsense , the NFL can finance itself very easily on the number of games it plays , RL and indeed most other sports in the world cannot 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

The NFL is a huge money making media drawing behemoth followed by hundreds of millions of people 

The EPL and indeed the English Championship is a huge money making media drawing behemoth followed by hundreds of millions of people 

Sounds very similar to me , one is in the USA , the other is in the UK 

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

You can't totally equate sport in two very different countries.

Behemoth's only come in one's.

So 60 years ago ? , RL has been dwarfed by Football for twice that long 

Any comparison is nonsense , the NFL can finance itself very easily on the number of games it plays , RL and indeed most other sports in the world cannot 

60 years ago, American football was a regional sport with a dysfunctional administration beset by in-fighting. 

60 years ago, RL was a regional sport with a dysfunctional administration beset by in-fighting. 

The comparison isn't that unfair. The only difference is that one of those sports addressed those issues while the other carried on with the in-fighting. 

1 minute ago, Mister Ting said:

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

You can't totally equate sport in two very different countries.

Behemoth's only come in one's.

I am not the one who introduced the NFL into the discussion 

And I am now tired of discussing it , feel free to continue if you so wish 

The problem with this debate is much of it is played out on the fringes. Extremes are useless here. 

Many of the comparisons to sports across the world are nonsense as they are never even close to being like for like. 

The secret is identifying the useful bits from sport and business across the world that can help RL grow. That isnt by blindly adopting what the NFL or even the NRL do.

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

60 years ago, American football was a regional sport with a dysfunctional administration beset by in-fighting. 

60 years ago, RL was a regional sport with a dysfunctional administration beset by in-fighting. 

The comparison isn't that unfair. The only difference is that one of those sports addressed those issues. 

I'd suggest having rounders as competition would have made it easier to turn things round 

Is there any other club based sport that can operate on the number of games the NFL does ?

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The problem with this debate is much of it is played out on the fringes. Extremes are useless here. 

Many of the comparisons to sports across the world are nonsense as they are never even close to being like for like. 

The secret is identifying the useful bits from sport and business across the world that can help RL grow. That isnt by blindly adopting what the NFL or even the NRL do.

Thank you David , you can argue the toss with our experts if you like , I'm done ?

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I am not the one who introduced the NFL into the discussion 

And I am now tired of discussing it , feel free to continue if you so wish 

" Absolutely correct , the constant use of the NA ' model ' specifically using sports only they play is complete nonsense , Gridiron , Rounders and Basketball didn't and don't have a massive other sport overshadowing everything they do as we have in the UK"

So I brought the NFL into the discussion?

Archived