Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gerrumonside ref

Major League Baseball playoffs 2019

Recommended Posts

Anyone watching the last few games of the season on BT as we get close to the playoffs?

With just over half a dozen games left there’s still quite a lot up for grabs:

 

In the American League (AL), the New York Yankees (100-55) and Houston Astros (101-53) are in and will probably duke it out for homefield advantage.

Elsewhere in the AL, the Minnesota Twins (95-59) are trying to hold off the Cleveland Indians (91-63) in the Central division race.

The loser of that race will probably be vying for the two wildcard playoff places with the Oakland A’s (93-61) and Tampa Bay Rays (91-63).

 

In the National League (NL), the LA Dodgers (99-55) and Atlanta Braves (95-60) are in and will battle for homefield advantage.

Elsewhere in the NL in the Central division, three teams are still alive, the St Louis Cardinals (87-67), Milwaukee Brewers (84-70) and Chicago Cubs (82-72).

Other teams in the NL who can make the wildcard playoff are the Washington Nationals (84-70) and New York Mets (80-73).  

Mathematically the Arizona Diamondbacks (79-75) and Philadelphia Phillies (78-74) both need miracles.

 

Everyone else is out, phew!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2008 is the only time I've been in America stayed in Orlando for a week then a week in Indian Rocks just beside Clearwater. With Tampa just up the road went to a Rays game wonderful experience have kept an eye on them every since.

On the same holiday visited the Buccs stadium amazed at how open and accessible everything was even tho Buccs  weren't playing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

2008 is the only time I've been in America stayed in Orlando for a week then a week in Indian Rocks just beside Clearwater. With Tampa just up the road went to a Rays game wonderful experience have kept an eye on them every since.

On the same holiday visited the Buccs stadium amazed at how open and accessible everything was even tho Buccs  weren't playing.

 

I travelled a lot to the states in the 80s and 90s, but not since then.

Saw Tampa Bay play the Bills at the old Raymond James stadium in their bad old days in the orange uniforms!  I’m jealous you’ve been to the new stadium.

Been very lucky baseball wise to see the Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs, Seattle Mariners and Tampa Bay all play home games including a couple of 90s icons in Ken Griffey Jr and Sammy Sosa.

Still learning about the finer tactical elements to baseball in particular the pitching strategies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still recovering from the Cubs' bullpen-based implosion. Getting the runs hasn't been the problem in most games. Even coming from behind hasn't been a problem. But the loss of Brandon Morrow right from his signing combined with career-worst performances from everybody outside the rotation has meant that we're about 20 wins off what the performances of the rest of the team should bring - and so we're not going to be in the play-offs and, hopefully, we're going to give Joe Maddon the boot and get somebody our Trump-supporting Front Office can work with. I am not enjoying seeing obviously injured players be put in the line-up in some desperate attempt to get us over the line.

As for the rest ... I'll wait until I can read the scores and standings without howling but, on paper, you'd be thinking another Houston-LA World Series could be possible?


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm still recovering from the Cubs' bullpen-based implosion. Getting the runs hasn't been the problem in most games. Even coming from behind hasn't been a problem. But the loss of Brandon Morrow right from his signing combined with career-worst performances from everybody outside the rotation has meant that we're about 20 wins off what the performances of the rest of the team should bring - and so we're not going to be in the play-offs and, hopefully, we're going to give Joe Maddon the boot and get somebody our Trump-supporting Front Office can work with. I am not enjoying seeing obviously injured players be put in the line-up in some desperate attempt to get us over the line.

As for the rest ... I'll wait until I can read the scores and standings without howling but, on paper, you'd be thinking another Houston-LA World Series could be possible?

Did you catch last night’s marathon with the Cardinals on BT?

That was an absolute rollercoaster with multiple lead changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Did you catch last night’s marathon with the Cardinals on BT?

That was an absolute rollercoaster with multiple lead changes.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

There has been no baseball this week.

  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Absolute scenes at Wrigley Field again.

You can stop now.

  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's Nationals v Brewers for the right to play Los Angeles? Other NLDS will be St Louis at Atlanta?

And in the junior circuit: Minnesota will be at either New York or Houston and either New York or Houston will play either Cleveland, Tampa Bay or Oakland? Typical of the AL to be so messy. Such a gauche lot.

Still can't see past Los Angeles for the NL title. AL … who knows?

  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So it's Nationals v Brewers for the right to play Los Angeles? Other NLDS will be St Louis at Atlanta?

And in the junior circuit: Minnesota will be at either New York or Houston and either New York or Houston will play either Cleveland, Tampa Bay or Oakland? Typical of the AL to be so messy. Such a gauche lot.

Still can't see past Los Angeles for the NL title. AL … who knows?

I’ve had a quick look at the schedules for the NL wildcard and there’s still about four teams in it, but it seems likely it’ll be the Nationals vs Brewers:

Washington Nationals (85-69) play 8 games at home against Philadelphia and Cleveland.

Milwaukee Brewers (86-70) are on the road for 6 games against Cincinnati and Colorado.

Chicago Cubs (82-74) are on the road for 6 games against Pittsburgh and St Louis

New York Mets (81-74) are at home for 7 games against Miami and Atlanta

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the Astros game last night as they're my team and wow  they have some incredible offence however after Jv and Gerrit Cole they seem a little timid.

 

Got to be between them and Yankees for the AL title then anything is possible - Oh and if Yordan Alverez isn't Rookie of the year then something's wrong!!

  • Like 2

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The Cubs now making the Pittsburgh Pirates look decent...what an implosion.

It's been an odd couple of seasons but part of me is sort of glad its ending like this. There's nowhere for the GM and Front Office to hide.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What’s the backstory there?

Genuinely don't know all the details. And the Cubs have been unlucky that a couple of major trades didn't work out so left big gaps. However ... Addison Russell is still on the books despite clearly being toxic both in the clubhouse and to his battered ex-wife, the management style of Maddon has gone from effective and smart to tinker-tinker-tinker, and, most obviously and easiest to fix you'd think, our pitching from innings 5-9 mean that no game is ever won, and has been getting worse since the start of last season.

We're not the only club with issues but we are cashed up franchise with a smart President of Baseball Operations in Theo Epstein. When we stank the place out before they were good reasons. Now there are none.

My best mate's a Baltimore fan though so I have it easy in comparison.

  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s the latest odds on the playoff picture in baseball.

Bit surprised to see the Brewers at 22/1 after their winning run - I take it they’ve had a soft schedule?

I’m having a cheeky fiver on each of the Nationals, A’s and Brewers.

 

FDEB3D7F-9AF4-4B45-8E7D-D95AFFB1140D.jpeg

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The playoffs get underway 1am with the wildcard matchup between the Milwaukee Brewers and Washington Nationals.

The Brewers are technically the form horse in the National League over the last months, but have just picked up injuries.

The Nationals on the other hand are being touted as possible dark horses in the playoffs due to their great pitching strength amongst their starters.

Who wins?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One off game. Definition of a ****shoot. 

The Nationals are the better team, the Brewers seem to have forgotten how to lose.

If I had to pick, I’d say the Brewers.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tumblr_oe8u1sy3Oy1v1zngbo1_540.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

One off game. Definition of a ****shoot. 

The Nationals are the better team, the Brewers seem to have forgotten how to lose.

If I had to pick, I’d say the Brewers.

What great powers of prediction I have


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this is the difference. In regular season this wouldn't be much of a game. The Brewers getting their early runs from two scoring shots, the Nationals coming back mainly through errors.

But in the postseason. With everything on the line.

 

  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

And this is the difference. In regular season this wouldn't be much of a game. The Brewers getting their early runs from two scoring shots, the Nationals coming back mainly through errors.

But in the postseason. With everything on the line.

 

Read some article this morning that reckons the Nationals’ pitching might match up well against the LA Dodgers in the Divisional round - do you think there’s any hope of an upset?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else wonder when GJ gets his work done?

  • Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...