Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Eddie

Guess the Attendance

So I think a decent crowd. As is always the way with Old Trafford it looks great on TV and you really have to look to find empty seats as they are in the darker upper areas. Even with 10k empty seats it gave the impression of being a capacity crowd, not many grounds can do that.

I'd like to see SLE do more with the event presentation to try and get those 10k seats filled now, but it was pretty good last night.

A pretty good attendance and it's great to see such a crowd for a final involving one of the league's worst supported teams. It came across great too to any viewer.

1 hour ago, cookey said:

Terrific game,terrific atmosphere,no surprise that people who contribute nothing find something else to moan about.Came over very well on tv.

I thought it looked amazing on TV and it was a solid contest for long periods. Great occasion an the crowd was 3k above my estimate. Think a few neutrals will have given it a whirl due to a new team being there.

• Like 1

Apparently Salford shifted as many tickets as Saints.

One of the problems seems to be familiarity with finals for the big teams.Saints,Wigan and Warrington no longer seem to be able to attract the occasional supporter as Salford did last night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

One of the problems seems to be familiarity with finals for the big teams.Saints,Wigan and Warrington no longer seem to be able to attract the occasional supporter as Salford did last night.

Familiarity is definitely a factor.

As a Wire fan back in 2009 when we got to Wembley, pretty much every Wire fan I knew went. Everybody's partner, son, daughter went with them, meaning that in my family for example, whereas only say 2 or 3 of us went regularly, suddenly our group was about 20 strong. It was a must-attend event.

10 years on and this years 10th final in that period is less so. My group was back down to 2 of us who went in 2009. I had missed three of those previous 10 finals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Agreed. I said the same about the Challenge Cup Final - are some of our major events not having the same impact on some supporters because of the same teams having been there so often  and therefore it is no longer even a thrill for some of their own fans to see them there ?

As with the Grand Final, Salford were only the 8th team to appear in it while of the other seven, Castleford and Hull have only appeared once and Warrington on four occasions. That leaves a total of 37 other finalists as follows: St.Helens 11, Leeds 10, Wigan 10, Bradford 6.

Yes, dedicated fans of a club will always attend but are some, as well as neutrals, getting tired of seeing the same teams ?

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Agreed. I said the same about the Challenge Cup Final - are some of our major events not having the same impact on some supporters because of the same teams having been there so often  and therefore it is no longer even a thrill for some of their own fans to see them there ?

As with the Grand Final, Salford were only the 8th team to appear in it while of the other seven, Castleford and Hull have only appeared once and Warrington on four occasions. That leaves a total of 37 other finalists as follows: St.Helens 11, Leeds 10, Wigan 10, Bradford 6.

Yes, dedicated fans of a club will always attend but are some, as well as neutrals, getting tired of seeing the same teams ?

This is very much a valid point, and not just for the attendance at the game, but also for the TV audience. If it had been yet another Saints - Wigan match I doubt if I'd have bothered to watch.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Over 8000 down from when Leeds were last there, who have had over 70,000 in their last 3 grand final appearances.

Anyone who agrees with changing Catalans and Toronto a final attendance bond must also agree with charging Salford a bond. This final was literally on their doorstep, if it was at Wembley their support would be significantly smaller.

Hopefully some of those Salford fans yesterday go to some Salford games in 2020.

You never know. In a few years time, Leeds might be able to start performing on the pitch again, as well as in the stands. 

7 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Saints turned out in big numbers as this year's Challenge Cup final.  But we hadn't been there for 11 years and so that might have had something to do with it.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 13:03, Dave T said:

We need to not be so hard on ourselves. These two clubs average around 15k between them for home games. Yet we will have four times that for this game. 

60-odd thousand for a game of Rugby League in the UK is an excellent crowd.

A realistic and at the same time positive assessment IMO. 

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

On 10/10/2019 at 16:22, Rhinoferg said:

64.092. Salford will bring both their fans plus the couple of thousand who will appear out of the wood work. Wigan will bring more than Salford lol

I was 10 off!