Trent Merrin on his way back to the NRL?

On 30/11/2019 at 11:41, Clogiron said:

I don't think he ever wanted to come over here in the first place but had no other option as most doors were shut for him so he took the money and held his nose. Once he saw what a shambles he had landed himself self in I think the only suprise was that he saw out the season, it wasn't as if he didn't try to find a escape on his trip back mid season. All in all a waste of time and money on both sides that no-one comes out of with credit.

very much like tyrone roberts at warrington, he was clearly using us to get a better deal out of gold coast and they called his bluff,  he never wanted to be over here and it showed, goodwin threw himself into getting the best experience of europe possible, tyrone just sat at home complaining about how dark and cold it was (through the hottest and longest summer on record)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and for those saying that merrin was excellent for leeds last year, he must have saved all his appalling performances for when he was on sky, and his worst for the bradford challenge cup game.

He may have got better as the season went on and leeds improved, but for the early part, both he and lolohea were symptomatic of everything being wrong at headingley last year.

10 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Ward is often injured and Cuthbertson is on his last legs. Lunt is no longer at Leeds.

Chris Hill is the same age as Prior. Joe Wardle is not a prop. 

Prior played State of Origin last year, he’s hardly a has been

Experience. Prior wouldn't come over here if he could still play top level RL in Australia. Here for the payday. Wardle isn't a prop but you said experience

6 hours ago, Rhinoferg said:

Experience. Prior wouldn't come over here if he could still play top level RL in Australia. Here for the payday. Wardle isn't a prop but you said experience

So State of Origin isn’t top level RL then? He may not be international quality but he’s a good rep player

On 01/12/2019 at 23:33, Rhinoferg said:

Lol. There have been quite a few players from the NRL wanting to play in super League and let's say get paid for an holiday. I don't understand why Leeds are signing 32 year olds?????

Five minutes ago you were complaining that we didn't replace Peacock & Leuluai....

You do realise that those two were both late 20's when we got them and they went on to become legends at the club staying almost 10 seasons.....

Peacock was a few weeks away from his 38th birthday when he was again in the SL Dream Team.

For a Leeds fan you do like moaning about them. Give Sinfield a chance to do his job.

Prior is arguably the best defensive prop in the NRL year after year. Moan if he doesn't play well, not 2 months before the first game!

41 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Five minutes ago you were complaining that we didn't replace Peacock & Leuluai....

You do realise that those two were both late 20's when we got them and they went on to become legends at the club staying almost 10 seasons.....

Peacock was a few weeks away from his 38th birthday when he was again in the SL Dream Team.

For a Leeds fan you do like moaning about them. Give Sinfield a chance to do his job.

Prior is arguably the best defensive prop in the NRL year after year. Moan if he doesn't play well, not 2 months before the first game!

Fair enough but it seems dubious to me if he is that good why not stay in Australia and play state of origin? 

I have always moaned about Leeds btw, for over 30 years now, made some shocking decisions about players that they have signed and let go lol.

Proof is in the pudding and I will gladly put my hand up if I am wrong about Prior.

3 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

With regards to Peacock, he was an experienced player who was at the top of his game and thrived at Leeds, Leuluai didn't play that many first team games in Australia, thus showing the gulf between the two leagues.

This is part of the reasoning that any player coming over from Australia aren't all that or are indeed winding down their career, otherwise surely you would want to continue at the top level.

It's interesting to read what the Cronulla Fans say about Prior, and they aren't that happy to see him go, he is apparently (I don't follow the NRL as much these days) a very very good defender with a huge work rate and can play long minutes, we were shocking in defence for large parts of last year but with Ava and Prior in the middle we have two very good defenders with good work rates, I think Prior will go well, you're talking as if 32 is past it, there's been many good players who were older than 32 and at least it's only a 2 year deal.

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It's interesting to read what the Cronulla Fans say about Prior, and they aren't that happy to see him go, he is apparently (I don't follow the NRL as much these days) a very very good defender with a huge work rate and can play long minutes, we were shocking in defence for large parts of last year but with Ava and Prior in the middle we have two very good defenders with good work rates, I think Prior will go well, you're talking as if 32 is past it, there's been many good players who were older than 32 and at least it's only a 2 year deal.

Yeah they really are up in arms about it, which is always positive. 

Or to put this another way -  Prior > Peteru and Singleton

4 hours ago, Rhinoferg said:

With regards to Peacock, he was an experienced player who was at the top of his game and thrived at Leeds, Leuluai didn't play that many first team games in Australia, thus showing the gulf between the two leagues.

This is part of the reasoning that any player coming over from Australia aren't all that or are indeed winding down their career, otherwise surely you would want to continue at the top level.

I would guess so... but the key question for Leeds is whether he is an improvement on what they have, whatever the reasoning by the individual for joining..... I would suggest he is. Although the proof of attitude and commitment will come  when he trains and plays.

Archived