Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TIWIT

Seriously, just between us

Recommended Posts

Just how many wins do we expect this season?

I'd be satisfied with anywhere between 12-15. Mid-pack.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More rather than less....we could win them all...stranger things have happened!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I do think the detractors have underestimated the current squad's strength, there's no getting around they are rather thin.

Plus the necessary load management adjustments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember towards the end of the last 3 seasons when teams were struggling to bring over 17 players or even field 13 players when they visited Lamport and many of us would "tut-tut" and shake our heads and say "how can this be for supposedly professional and semi-professional sports teams".  Don't look now but if TWP are not able to increase from the current 23-man squad, and we have a couple of players banned for disciplinary infractions, and have 3 or 4 out injured, then we could well be in the same boat.   Brian MacD. had a squad of 18 players available to him today.   Even Chase Stanley is stuck in Australia with Visa issues and will most likely not be available for Round 1 of the season.

All that being said I don't know how many games I expect TWP to win.  As long as it is enough to keep them out of 12th. place I'll be happy.   Remember too that their 1st. five games are against the No's 1-5 placed teams from last year, including the Tigers that we won against today.   So......I'm not going to be overly concerned if we lose all 5 of these games, as long as we are competitive in them.  But then........if we keep losing when we start to face the other teams, then I will become overly concerned.    Sheeeeeesh.........I need a drink.???

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing for sure, they will lose games, and so they will have to learn how to lose and come back stronger. We know what happened when they started losing games in the middle 8. I know the team has changed since then but still... Last season didn't give opportunities to learn that aspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Remember towards the end of the last 3 seasons when teams were struggling to bring over 17 players or even field 13 players when they visited Lamport and many of us would "tut-tut" and shake our heads and say "how can this be for supposedly professional and semi-professional sports teams".  Don't look now but if TWP are not able to increase from the current 23-man squad, and we have a couple of players banned for disciplinary infractions, and have 3 or 4 out injured, then we could well be in the same boat.   Brian MacD. had a squad of 18 players available to him today.   Even Chase Stanley is stuck in Australia with Visa issues and will most likely not be available for Round 1 of the season.

All that being said I don't know how many games I expect TWP to win.  As long as it is enough to keep them out of 12th. place I'll be happy.   Remember too that their 1st. five games are against the No's 1-5 placed teams from last year, including the Tigers that we won against today.   So......I'm not going to be overly concerned if we lose all 5 of these games, as long as we are competitive in them.  But then........if we keep losing when we start to face the other teams, then I will become overly concerned.    Sheeeeeesh.........I need a drink.???

We will win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, manu266 said:

One thing for sure, they will lose games, and so they will have to learn how to lose and come back stronger. We know what happened when they started losing games in the middle 8. I know the team has changed since then but still... Last season didn't give opportunities to learn that aspect.

We will win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TIWIT said:

While I do think the detractors have underestimated the current squad's strength, there's no getting around they are rather thin.

Plus the necessary load management adjustments.

We will win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fairly confident we will stay up.  I'm hopefull we will make the playoffs!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Kayakman and TboneFromTO.........that's the spirit (Single Malt Scotch maybe???).   I hope you are both correct.

We can do it and we will do it...it is our destiny.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Kayakman and TboneFromTO.........that's the spirit (Single Malt Scotch maybe???).   I hope you are both correct.

I will have what they are having.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, manu266 said:

I will have what they are having.

It's really just a numbers game for me.  Historically (since 2012 - minus 2014 which for some reason isn't on SL.com) you need to win >5.28 games to avoid the bottom relegation position.

To make the playoffs, stats average to  needing to win >11 games.

I believe we can win 6-11 in the season (hopefully more) - the rest falls out of our control really, and depend on how competitive the league is this year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

 

 

Double post

Edited by TboneFromTO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am convinced that TWP needs to basically throw the Challenge Cup and get eliminated as quickly as possible.  They should put all their energy in to Super League and use Challenge Cup weeks as a break for the team.

As for the team they do have, it's better than any of the detractors on here will admit. The starting 13 are as good as any in Super League, they will be considerably better than London were last season.

Goal this season should be survival. I'll be very happy if they finish middle of the table.  I anticipate Hull KR to go down, they are the weakest team in the competition IMO.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Play our weakest side for the CC games and rest all injured players.  Gives some guys valuable game time.  Have to see how it runs...never know with the CC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i cant wait,some real mouthwatering games to come for sure, just dont blame ref  if it dont work out every week guys,:kolobok_popcorm1: i used to :kolobok_punish:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ref Challenge Cup, part of me thinks TWP were forced to compete this year as a condition of entry and while they are publicly saying they are excited to play, privately they won't really care if they are eliminated right off the bat.

You see this a lot in European Cup Competitions in Rugby Union, especially from French Rugby Clubs who face the prospect of 2 of the 14 Clubs being relegated to ProD2 every season.  The bottom half of the table usually field scratch sides and get blown out by Celtic and English sides as a result but can you really blame them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Ref Challenge Cup, part of me thinks TWP were forced to compete this year as a condition of entry and while they are publicly saying they are excited to play, privately they won't really care if they are eliminated right off the bat.

You see this a lot in European Cup Competitions in Rugby Union, especially from French Rugby Clubs who face the prospect of 2 of the 14 Clubs being relegated to ProD2 every season.  The bottom half of the table usually field scratch sides and get blown out by Celtic and English sides as a result but can you really blame them?

Right again old chum...how do you like the signs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silverback said:

i cant wait,some real mouthwatering games to come for sure, just dont blame ref  if it dont work out every week guys,:kolobok_popcorm1: i used to :kolobok_punish:

We won't do that unless its blatant but even then we will accept it...we are Canadians, its part of our DNA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NickWeaver said:

I think they can win around 3/4 of the games at home and hopefully 1/4 of the games in the UK

I think we will start off stronger than that but injuries will then start to slow us down a bit...but we will endure in the warm Toronto sun and make the TOP 5...the playoffs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NickWeaver said:

I think they can win around 3/4 of the games at home and hopefully 1/4 of the games in the UK

That then equates to winning 8 or 9 games of 11  at Lamport and 4.5 games of 18 in the UK/France.  Total 12.5 to 13.5 games.  Puts us right around a bottom 3 finish.  As I've said before.....anything but 12th. place is acceptable for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

That then equates to winning 8 or 9 games of 11  at Lamport and 4.5 games of 18 in the UK/France.  Total 12.5 to 13.5 games.  Puts us right around a bottom 3 finish.  As I've said before.....anything but 12th. place is acceptable for me. 

Average points needed to make the playoffs since going 12 teams is 13 games

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rugby League World predicts Toronto will finish 11th (editor in chief) or 10th (full staff). Hull KR relegated in both counts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...