The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Shows what you can do if you have the moneyย 

Erm sky will be paying the money?

NFL would have a similar start to RL but are not afraid of mergers, teams relocating, OT if games are tied and a closed shop franchise system

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Why not Ginger, it is not as though they get extensive coverage from anywhere else in the UK, as they say "It pays to advertise" or could be in this case "Costs".

This is the NFL that has also sold rights to other channels and which is covered extensively on TalkSport (who pay for radio rights) and multiple BBC platforms. The one that sells out Wembley a few times each year?

But, sure, they have to pay Sky to broadcast their games.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.ย (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This is the NFL that has also sold rights to other channels and which is covered extensively on TalkSport (who pay for radio rights) and multiple BBC platforms. The one that sells out Wembley a few times each year?

But, sure, they have to pay Sky to broadcast their games.

So with all the resources and money the NFL have , after 4 decades they've still not expanded outside the USย 

Very succssessful

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So with all the resources and money the NFL have , after 4 decades they've still not expanded outside the USย 

Very succssessful

Best Moving Goalposts GIFs | Gfycat

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.ย (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Very succssessful

The sport is played all over, especially in Universities, and clearly has a lot of viewers here too.ย 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Not really , how does having a few on the road matches suggest a massive success of expansion ?

They sell out a stadium in a different country and have their own 24hr channel ahead of British sports like RL and RU on the biggest sport network in Britainย 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The sport is played all over, especially in Universities, and clearly has a lot of viewers here too.ย 

62 registered clubs in the UK apparently. Not including universities or non contact versions.

Yes , that's after 40 + years , and millions and millions of investment ,I even watch it , if there's nothing else on , and it's a play off gameย 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

They sell out a stadium in a different country and have their own 24hr channel ahead of British sports like RL and RU on the biggest sport network in Britainย 

After 40 years , let's face it , Toronto actually did that in 3 years ๐Ÿ˜ , look feel free to suggest that gridiron or baseball ( rounders ) will take over the world , even Addidas shoving a mini basketball court in every park and play area in the UK didn't work , I've walked the dog through literally dozens of parks and never seen anybody using them for the sport they were designed forย 

Yes we might see a team based at WHL , I'll give them 4 years before they return to the USย 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

After 40 years , let's face it , Toronto actually did that in 3 years ๐Ÿ˜ , look feel free to suggest that gridiron or baseball ( rounders ) will take over the world , even Addidas shoving a mini basketball court in every park and play area in the UK didn't work , I've walked the dog through literally dozens of parks and never seen anybody using them for the sport they were designed forย 

Yes we might see a team based at WHL , I'll give them 4 years before they return to the USย 

You're missing the point Gubs, its not about world takeover. They've built an interest, gotten a TV deal our own sport can't come close to and sell out Wembley 3 times over.

I don't actually think a London club is on the cards anymore, they don't need it for interest purposes.

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If you're willing to spend millions you can get thatย 

You're missing the point Gubs, its not about world takeover. They've built an interest, gotten a TV deal our own sport can't come close to and sell out Wembley 3 times over.

I don't actually think a London club is on the cards anymore, they don't need it for interest purposes.

So 3 on the road games and a TV channel , that costs them how much ?

Just now, GUBRATS said:

If you're willing to spend millions you can get thatย 

Yup.... pity we haven't got anywhere near that budget. A small.... very small fraction of that budget is what we have.

Playing numbers inย RL dwindles seemingly every week. We can't even afford RL dev officers now.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

What financial returns have they had ?

TV and Radio coverage? With their own prominent channel I'd suggest quite happily they're in a better position that certain other sports over here financially and awareness wise.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

TV and Radio coverage? With their own prominent channel I'd suggest quite happily they're in a better position that certain other sports over here financially and awareness wise.

What financial returns have they had ?

Archived