WCC 2020

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/02/2020 at 13:25, scotchy1 said:

How werent you sure what comp I was talking about?

It makes less sense to take it to a bigger ground because you cant sell enough tickets.

In part because the game holds less prestige than it should because it is generally played in small provincial stadiums

In order to hold the game as a big event in an attractive stadium they would actually need to market the event weeks or even months in advance.

Just found out it's on Saturday cos I looked up the fixtures on the sky website.

Think I must follow every Rugby league social media channel going and I've seen hardly anything so far.

They are totally rubbish at promoting our game...... not sure specifically who 'They' are (SL/RFL/other).... so I'll just say everyone involved with promoting the sport in the UK is rubbish at it!.........totally useless!!! 

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

19 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

In order to hold the game as a big event in an attractive stadium they would actually need to market the event weeks or even months in advance.

Just found out it's on Saturday cos I looked up the fixtures on the sky website.

Think I must follow every Rugby league social media channel going and I've seen hardly anything so far.

They are totally rubbish at promoting our game...... not sure specifically who 'They' are (SL/RFL/other).... so I'll just say everyone involved with promoting the sport in the UK is rubbish at it!.........totally useless!!! 

I think you've indirectly hit the nail on the head, in as much as nobody 'owns' the WCC - every knows it will happen and roughly when, but it's always kind of coupled together last minute. The ideal would be a SL/NRL joint venture but that's not likely to be easy and would probably cause more strain than good. I'd settle for a commonly agreed criteria to begin with like: 

- played alternate between Aus and UK 

- gate money/broadcast deal and any sponsorship purse is shared between the participating clubs 

This game does get a lot of interest for what is essentially at the moment a friendly/trial game. It just needs to be built up to realise it's full potential. 

5 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

15,000 at average ticket price of say £30 plus hospitality - big earner for Saints and makes perfect sense to play at home.

Don’t they have to guarantee the Roosters nearly £200k. So probably another reason not to take the risk of moving it. 

On 18/02/2020 at 09:52, hunsletgreenandgold said:

But for me that is what the game should be about. A mistake should have some kind of consequence - it often does in the NRL as they’re so few and far between, compared with SL where one mistake is regularly backed up by another by the opposition. The ruck might be slightly slower in the NRL buts that’s only because they do it properly - it’s been well documented how SL PTBs are pitiful. I do agree there are some coaches who have a very negative mindset in terms of style of play but I’d say there’s more good coaches than the couple you’ve mentioned. Sticky, Ivan Cleary, Paul Green are all good coaches IMO. 

That point I was trying to make about the difference between SL and NRL put more eloquently by Trent Robinson in the opening part of this video from last night. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/20/robinson-backs-flanagan-in-roosters-debut/

Archived