1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

Players aren't allowed to use their skills as much as they should be.

It's all about slowing down the ruck, completing sets and kicking long and waiting for the other team to make a mistake 

If most nrl coaches were pushed off a cliff the game would be more enjoyable 

Coaches worry about minimal mistakes and coach their teams to cheat rather than play good football 

Wayne Bennett and Trent Robinson are some examples of coaches who do this less 

But for me that is what the game should be about. A mistake should have some kind of consequence - it often does in the NRL as they’re so few and far between, compared with SL where one mistake is regularly backed up by another by the opposition. The ruck might be slightly slower in the NRL buts that’s only because they do it properly - it’s been well documented how SL PTBs are pitiful. I do agree there are some coaches who have a very negative mindset in terms of style of play but I’d say there’s more good coaches than the couple you’ve mentioned. Sticky, Ivan Cleary, Paul Green are all good coaches IMO. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

But for me that is what the game should be about. A mistake should have some kind of consequence - it often does in the NRL as they’re so few and far between, compared with SL where one mistake is regularly backed up by another by the opposition. The ruck might be slightly slower in the NRL buts that’s only because they do it properly - it’s been well documented how SL PTBs are pitiful. I do agree there are some coaches who have a very negative mindset in terms of style of play but I’d say there’s more good coaches than the couple you’ve mentioned. Sticky, Ivan Cleary, Paul Green are all good coaches IMO. 

im not a fan of super league either though i need to watch more games.  more so the nrl style has stagnated over the past 5 years.  the style of play from 2000 or so was so much better.  im squarely laying the blame on nrl coaches.  recent rule changes are wrong as well.  coaches and rule makers arent finding ways to encourage players to offload or take risk

Edited by aj1908

22 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

How werent you sure what comp I was talking about?

It makes less sense to take it to a bigger ground because you cant sell enough tickets.

In part because the game holds less prestige than it should because it is generally played in small provincial stadiums

I did use to hold the same opinion, but now alot of the top clubs have pretty good modern stadia that they own which making the decision to go to Bolton, Elland Rd or Huddersfield etc.. makes no sense anymore. You may sell a few thousand more tickets but you are losing on rent, hospitality and f&b sales. 

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

I did use to hold the same opinion, but now alot of the top clubs have pretty good modern stadia that they own which making the decision to go to Bolton, Elland Rd or Huddersfield etc.. makes no sense anymore. You may sell a few thousand more tickets but you are losing on rent, hospitality and f&b sales. 

That's the short term thinking of it though.

The amount of extra ticket sales a good sponsorship deal, a better tv deal etc would be far more than a club makes on a one off for hospitality etc.

On 17/02/2020 at 13:25, scotchy1 said:

How werent you sure what comp I was talking about?

It makes less sense to take it to a bigger ground because you cant sell enough tickets.

In part because the game holds less prestige than it should because it is generally played in small provincial stadiums

In order to hold the game as a big event in an attractive stadium they would actually need to market the event weeks or even months in advance.

Just found out it's on Saturday cos I looked up the fixtures on the sky website.

Think I must follow every Rugby league social media channel going and I've seen hardly anything so far.

They are totally rubbish at promoting our game...... not sure specifically who 'They' are (SL/RFL/other).... so I'll just say everyone involved with promoting the sport in the UK is rubbish at it!.........totally useless!!! 

• Like 2

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

19 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

In order to hold the game as a big event in an attractive stadium they would actually need to market the event weeks or even months in advance.

Just found out it's on Saturday cos I looked up the fixtures on the sky website.

Think I must follow every Rugby league social media channel going and I've seen hardly anything so far.

They are totally rubbish at promoting our game...... not sure specifically who 'They' are (SL/RFL/other).... so I'll just say everyone involved with promoting the sport in the UK is rubbish at it!.........totally useless!!! 

I think you've indirectly hit the nail on the head, in as much as nobody 'owns' the WCC - every knows it will happen and roughly when, but it's always kind of coupled together last minute. The ideal would be a SL/NRL joint venture but that's not likely to be easy and would probably cause more strain than good. I'd settle for a commonly agreed criteria to begin with like: 

- played alternate between Aus and UK 

- gate money/broadcast deal and any sponsorship purse is shared between the participating clubs 

This game does get a lot of interest for what is essentially at the moment a friendly/trial game. It just needs to be built up to realise it's full potential. 

20 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a waste of money renting another stadium when Saints can use their own for free 

This. As a result of winning the Grand Final, we should be able to profit from such a game. 

5 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

15,000 at average ticket price of say £30 plus hospitality - big earner for Saints and makes perfect sense to play at home.

Don’t they have to guarantee the Roosters nearly £200k. So probably another reason not to take the risk of moving it. 

I understand the arguments for moving it, but on the other hand, it's a very special night to host one of the best sides in the world in your home stadium. And if you can win it, your home town and home ground has one of its greatest nights.

Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: How rugby league WILL bounce back from coronavirus! LINK: https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2020/03/coronovirus-and-rlwc-2021.html

On 18/02/2020 at 09:52, hunsletgreenandgold said:

That point I was trying to make about the difference between SL and NRL put more eloquently by Trent Robinson in the opening part of this video from last night. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/20/robinson-backs-flanagan-in-roosters-debut/

15 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Don’t they have to guarantee the Roosters nearly £200k. So probably another reason not to take the risk of moving it. 

And why the game has gone backwards instead of growing