Expansion

1 hour ago, meast said:

So they haven't done more for the game in 20 years then if they haven't added to the player pool.

What have they brought in in terms of sponsorship etc that other northern hemisphere clubs haven't? I'm talking about the game as a whole, not just their own sponsorship deals?

I agree that they if they are in SL they should be entitled to a share of the central funds, but they agreed to those conditions didn't they?

Pray tell, in what way are Sonny Bill Williams and Quinn Ngawati not additions to the RL player pool?

10 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Pray tell, in what way are Sonny Bill Williams and Quinn Ngawati not additions to the RL player pool?

When the word expansion is followed by a gif of Spit the dog!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

The sport is to tribal which is contributing to its downfall. The fact we couldn’t  sell out Hull for the NZ test is embarrassing. Imagine if we had 30% of Unions international scene the RFL would have some cash to grow the sport.

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Quinn yes, SBW no. 

SBW is a player that wouldn't be available to Superleague without Toronto being in existence as no other club can afford him. You grow the sport in lots of ways, generating money is one of them, and we're not very good at it. 

7 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

SBW is a player that wouldn't be available to Superleague without Toronto being in existence as no other club can afford him. 

And from what I have seen him dish up this season, which other sl club would be daft enough to want him

6 hours ago, meast said:

They did have a choice, they chose to agree.

And I'm talking about the game as a whole, not club sponsors, every club brings in their own sponsorship, I mean , what exactly have Toronto brought to the game in 20 years that other clubs haven't?

I'm not trying to knock Toronto or any other "expansion" clubs but there seems to be a lot of sweet stuff poured over them with very little proof of the pudding.

The reality is that with Toronto, Catalans, Ottowa, whoever,  the game isn't able to sustain more professional teams regardless of how many people in Canada and France are watching games on TV and live.

Give Toronto time to grow in SL. Ideally we should have 2 French teams then a French broadcaster has a game to show every week plus a French derby and have 2 Canadian teams for the same reasons.

Canadian players will not appear over night. It takes years to develop top level players. 

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

And from what I have seen him dish up this season, which other sl club would be daft enough to want him

I’m sure you would have been saying that if it was Trinity who’d signed him in the close season. 

54 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Give Toronto time to grow in SL. Ideally we should have 2 French teams then a French broadcaster has a game to show every week plus a French derby and have 2 Canadian teams for the same reasons.

Canadian players will not appear over night. It takes years to develop top level players. 

Do you think two teams averaging 12k fans between them would be enough for a decent tv deal in France? I doubt it. The equivalent would be two boules teams being set up over here and then getting the BBC to show their French League games. 

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m sure you would have been saying that if it was Trinity who’d signed him in the close season. 

If trinity sign a player and I think he is duff, I would be the first to speak out. I have been watching this game for years. Names and past reputation mean nothing to me. There is no such thing as time travel so the past means zilch. It's the here and now that counts . A well known saying, a player is only as good as his last game. Like I said from what I have seen of the guy so far, he,s rubbish.

41 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you think two teams averaging 12k fans between them would be enough for a decent tv deal in France? I doubt it. The equivalent would be two boules teams being set up over here and then getting the BBC to show their French League games. 

It’s something to build on. Like I said, they can market a French derby and increase exposure of the sport in the south of France as well as Toulouse playing in the union stadium now

4 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

SBW is a player that wouldn't be available to Superleague without Toronto being in existence as no other club can afford him. You grow the sport in lots of ways, generating money is one of them, and we're not very good at it. 

' generating ' ?

3 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Which is kind of my point regarding Toronto, let's wait and see how they go in the next few years to see if they're serious about expanding before blowing smoke up their backsides.

Hopefully their roots will be bearing fruit slowly by then

22 minutes ago, meast said:

Which is kind of my point regarding Toronto, let's wait and see how they go in the next few years to see if they're serious about expanding before blowing smoke up their backsides.

Hopefully their roots will be bearing fruit slowly by then

Yeah, there’s always been a lot of talk there about “putting Rugby balls in kids’ hands” so let’s hope we see more of that.

I think that’s what annoys people about Toronto, that they don’t seem to be doing anything regarding producing their own players

Archived