Club colours

What’s the story behind some clubs’ colours? Obviously Leeds play in blu and amber because they are the cities colours but I’ve always found it strange why Wigan play in cherry and white but Athletic play in blue and white or Doncaster play in blue and yellow but Rovers play in red and white stripes

Re: Wigan.
Wigan Athletics shirt colours from their 1932 foundation year until 1939 were red & white halves (the same as the Wigan Borough FC shirt worn in the early 1920s - Wigan Borough were members of the Football League & the previous occupants of Springfield Park until they went bust in 1931). The shirts were then red & white quarters until 1947 when they changed to blue & white. I vaguely remember being told that the reason they changed to blue & white was due to the club not being able to get hold of a new red & white kit due to supply difficulties after the war, & the only full kit that the could get hold of was a blue & white one. Exactly how true this is I don't know, but that's the story I remember being told years ago. 
Ironically, Wigan RLs original colours were blue & white hoops up to 1886 when they changed to cherry & white - the blue & white becoming the clubs secondary colours. 

Thanks for a potentially interesting thread, Mr P.

I am intrigued by your use of 'obviously' in respect of Leeds' current blue and amber.  When I first saw them play, in the mid-60s at Leigh, I think the amber was more of a pale fawn or brown, possibly described as 'walnut'.  I also suspect the blue was not as vivid as is the norm nowadays.  Is my memory playing tricks?  Quite possible!

Unlike you, I don't find it strange that the clubs from one location playing different sports have different colours.  Nor that their colours are necessarily unrelated to the locality's official colours, however that is determined.  Come to that, how many British places have official colours? 

There is currently a notable exception to that, of course; Les Dracs' opt to use the traditional Catalan regional colours

I remember reading Hunslet, having played initially in white shirts, opted in the 1930s for myrtle, white and flame - the University of Leeds colours - because the Leeds club had long ago nabbed the city's colours, blue and amber.

Carlisle's stylish red, white and blue hooped shirt was a variant on the colours of Brunton Park landlords Carlisle United FC. Cardiff City, Fulham, Kent Invicta and Runcorn Highfield did the same thing.

As for Whitehaven's interesting colours, the estimable Harry Edgar reveals, in his excellent 1998 club history, Chocolate, Blue and Gold: "I'd always suspected that there must be a good story behind such an unusual choice, that perhaps the colours reflected some little-known symbolism, but apparently not. The view was expressed that most other colour combinations were already taken by other clubs [Haven were formed in 1948], a slight disappointment, I must admit, but nonetheless the new club - should it be admitted [to the RFL] - would certainly have one of the most distinctive strips in the game."

5 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

I remember reading Hunslet, having played initially in white shirts, opted in the 1930s for myrtle, white and flame - the University of Leeds colours - because the Leeds club had long ago nabbed the city's colours, blue and amber.

Carlisle's stylish red, white and blue hooped shirt was a variant on the colours of Brunton Park landlords Carlisle United FC.

They're a variation of the University's colours yep. I believe the founder of the Uni RL club played for Hunslet but a bit later than the 30s iirc. 

37 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks for a potentially interesting thread, Mr P.

I am intrigued by your use of 'obviously' in respect of Leeds' current blue and amber.  When I first saw them play, in the mid-60s at Leigh, I think the amber was more of a pale fawn or brown, possibly described as 'walnut'.  I also suspect the blue was not as vivid as is the norm nowadays.  Is my memory playing tricks?  Quite possible!

Unlike you, I don't find it strange that the clubs from one location playing different sports have different colours.  Nor that their colours are necessarily unrelated to the locality's official colours, however that is determined.  Come to that, how many British places have official colours? 

There is currently a notable exception to that, of course; Les Dracs' opt to use the traditional Catalan regional colours

The colours of the city of Leeds are blue and amber/yellow/gold (whatever you want to call it) Leeds United originally (and still do) played in blue and gold until they switched to white.

Other Leeds clubs have followed suite with Leeds Tykes wearing blue and amber (until they became Carnegie) and even the hockey team Leeds Chiefs have adopted blue and yellow.

I was just interested in why Leeds as a city and it’s sports teams stick to a colour scheme whereas other places and clubs don’t.

Bradford city for example adopted Manninghams colours whereas the Bulls and Park Avenue wear similar colours, white, red, yellow and black, (excluding PA Celtic inspired green and white) 

58 minutes ago, Pyjamarama said:

Re: Wigan.
Wigan Athletics shirt colours from their 1932 foundation year until 1939 were red & white halves (the same as the Wigan Borough FC shirt worn in the early 1920s - Wigan Borough were members of the Football League & the previous occupants of Springfield Park until they went bust in 1931). The shirts were then red & white quarters until 1947 when they changed to blue & white. I vaguely remember being told that the reason they changed to blue & white was due to the club not being able to get hold of a new red & white kit due to supply difficulties after the war, & the only full kit that the could get hold of was a blue & white one. Exactly how true this is I don't know, but that's the story I remember being told years ago. 
Ironically, Wigan RLs original colours were blue & white hoops up to 1886 when they changed to cherry & white - the blue & white becoming the clubs secondary colours. 

I remember the old Number 19 Corporation bus (well all of them of course) was cherry and white.  So was that Wigan town those colours?

Not sure where that leaves Leigh. Were their buses green?

I'm not wanting to go off topic of course...

But generally, in respect of colours there are not that many colours to choose from. It's sad that the Aussie colours are so good, and they evolved out of gold didn't they,?

Wakefield and Cas are an interesting example. I played RU for Cas in a Red White and Blue shirt that could have been a Trin kit. Similarly Cas Lock lane rl amateurs play in the same colours so I assume there's some link to the town there. 

Ironically now I think of it the black and amber of Castleford tigers were the same colours as the now deceased Wakefield RU club (who got their colours from the Grammar school).

Interesting to note how clubs have changed their colours over the years. In A Ton Full of Memories, author Brian F. Cartwright says Batley started in cerise and fawn (Brian doesn't explain the choice) then moved through all white to blue & white hoops and on to cherry and white. Then back to cerise and fawn before a reappearance (marking an anniversary, I think) in 2020 of cherry and white.

Workington Town wore green and red hoops for their earliest games.

Those late Victorian football cards indicate Barrow set out in narrow red and white hoops (like the Lancashire county team).

3 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

What’s the story behind some clubs’ colours? Obviously Leeds play in blu and amber because they are the cities colours but I’ve always found it strange why Wigan play in cherry and white but Athletic play in blue and white or Doncaster play in blue and yellow but Rovers play in red and white stripes

In his book 50 Years of Bloody Sundays, Doncaster RLFC 1951-2001, Peter Hilton suggests Doncaster's choice of blue and amber was a reflection of "much helpful assistance" from Leeds in setting up the new club.

Apparently, York chose amber (or yellow) and black because their first captain had played previously for Wasps.

7 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

The colours of the city of Leeds are blue and amber/yellow/gold (whatever you want to call it) Leeds United originally (and still do) played in blue and gold until they switched to white.

Other Leeds clubs have followed suite with Leeds Tykes wearing blue and amber (until they became Carnegie) and even the hockey team Leeds Chiefs have adopted blue and yellow.

I was just interested in why Leeds as a city and it’s sports teams stick to a colour scheme whereas other places and clubs don’t.

Bradford city for example adopted Manninghams colours whereas the Bulls and Park Avenue wear similar colours, white, red, yellow and black, (excluding PA Celtic inspired green and white) 

For Leeds, I think the origins come down to a few factors. Firstly, blue and white were Leeds City's (predecessor of Leeds United) colours in stripes like Huddersfield town. Yellow/gold/amber was a natural addition due to the coat of arms. Leeds RL had the traditional blue and amber colours too which must have made the pre Don Revie edition of Leeds kits pretty simple to colour - especially as they were still firmly second fiddle. There's also got to be the influence of Yorkshire cricket to consider too with the Blue White and Yellow being their colours.

Unlike many other cities too, Leeds is pretty unique in having 1 "Leeds" club in each sport. I read somewhere that Leeds is the biggest 1 soccer club city in Europe. In that sense, new "Leeds" teams seem almost duty bound to take on the colours. 

It is interesting though with comparisons to a city like Leicester for example where there are clearly 2 distinct colourations.

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Wakefield and Cas are an interesting example. I played RU for Cas in a Red White and Blue shirt that could have been a Trin kit. Similarly Cas Lock lane rl amateurs play in the same colours so I assume there's some link to the town there. 

Ironically now I think of it the black and amber of Castleford tigers were the same colours as the now deceased Wakefield RU club (who got their colours from the Grammar school).

Sandal RU also play in similar colours to those of Wakefield RU. The Castleford coat of arms, which is used by Cas RU, is also predominately red. Did perhaps the original Cas RL club play in red? 

Club historian Andrew Hardcastle provides a lovely explanation of Halifax's blue and white hoops.

In The Thrum Hall Story, he writes of the club's first game, away to Leeds Athletic Club, in November 1874: "Before the match the first priority for Halifax was to obtain a set of shirts, which were to be paid for by the players. Whereas some clubs had a particular reason for wanting certain colours, the Halifax players had no preference. A London manufacturer was contacted. It sent along two samples for consideration: one was black and red hoops, the other blue and white. It was decided to adopt the black and red but the manufacturers, it was then discovered, did not have the required sizes available in these colours. The alternative blue and white therefore had to be accepted."

Interestingly, when Halifax Town FC were established in 1911, they chose blue and white (albeit stripes not hoops). The Dukes speedway team, which came along later still, opted for red and blue (the colours of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment).

25 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

For Leeds, I think the origins come down to a few factors. Firstly, blue and white were Leeds City's (predecessor of Leeds United) colours in stripes like Huddersfield town. Yellow/gold/amber was a natural addition due to the coat of arms. Leeds RL had the traditional blue and amber colours too which must have made the pre Don Revie edition of Leeds kits pretty simple to colour - especially as they were still firmly second fiddle. There's also got to be the influence of Yorkshire cricket to consider too with the Blue White and Yellow being their colours.

Unlike many other cities too, Leeds is pretty unique in having 1 "Leeds" club in each sport. I read somewhere that Leeds is the biggest 1 soccer club city in Europe. In that sense, new "Leeds" teams seem almost duty bound to take on the colours. 

It is interesting though with comparisons to a city like Leicester for example where there are clearly 2 distinct colourations.

What colours did Leeds Parish Church, the biggest club in the city at the time, used to play in?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Workington went through a few different coloured strips in their first couple of years. Red & green, orange & black, red & white before finally changing to white and blue for the 1948 season. The reason was they were formed in 1945 and post-war it was difficult to get hold of textiles as they were prioritised for other things. So they basically had to wear whatever colours they could get enough textiles of to make enough playing strips.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

9 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Is that the same club as Leeds St John's (who, apparently, played in blue and amber quarters)?

No Leeds Parish and Leeds St Johns were two separate clubs I think.

Leeds St Johns are the same club as Leeds Rhinos

43 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Leeds United have pretty close historical ties with Huddersfield Town. They were at one point going to merge and become Leeds Trinity FC. 

Now I’m curious as to how Town and Giants play in such different colours

57 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Sandal RU also play in similar colours to those of Wakefield RU. The Castleford coat of arms, which is used by Cas RU, is also predominately red. Did perhaps the original Cas RL club play in red? 

Sandal was formed by people who also went to the same school as those who founded Wakefield RU iirc, but went with Maroon Gold and White. 

The cas coat of arms does have red white and blue on so it could be a link. I'm not sure as to the history of the colours tbh.

37 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

What colours did Leeds Parish Church, the biggest club in the city at the time, used to play in?

No idea tbh. That they only lasted 5 years in the NU negates their relevance imo but from what I could find it looks like White shirts and black shorts/socks. 

42 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Leeds United have pretty close historical ties with Huddersfield Town. They were at one point going to merge and become Leeds Trinity FC. 

Huddersfield RU play in the same colours as Fartown.

56 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Yeah that is an interesting story!

Huddersfield seems to have a set of "Rugby colours" that both the RL and RU clubs use.

The football teams tended to also come after the rugby clubs in West Yorkshire too with the game being brought to them by missionaries from South Yorkshire, perhaps that has something to do with it??

ignoring colours, rugby league strips are mainly hoops and Vees. Whilst football teams seem to be stripes and quarters. What's left of course are plain shirts and there are lots of football shirts like that, but not many rugby league ones.  Of the top of my head I can only think of Salford.

At international level, The Code That Cannot Be Spoken mainly use all plain colours, we on our side seem to prefer Vees. (this may be why I have a soft spot for Japan)

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Didn't Lufc choose all white to emulate Real Madrid?

28 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

ignoring colours, rugby league strips are mainly hoops and Vees. Whilst football teams seem to be stripes and quarters. What's left of course are plain shirts and there are lots of football shirts like that, but not many rugby league ones.  Of the top of my head I can only think of Salford.

At international level, The Code That Cannot Be Spoken mainly use all plain colours, we on our side seem to prefer Vees. (this may be why I have a soft spot for Japan)

I have a soft spot for RU too, just to the side of the water butt at the bottom of the back garden, think it used to be a pond once?

Archived