Sign in to follow this  
Davo5

Best British Players To Play In Australia

Lets not forget the pioneers who went over in the 1960's  one such player is  sharlston born ivor linguard  who played 69 games for FEV  (heritage 419)but struggled for game time  because of funny enough sharston born pair  joe mullaney and don fox  so at the age of 21 emigrated to aus and played the rest of his career  for paramatta(heritage 224)
image.jpeg.12d5a34e4f517d0b2aae52257f1076ca.jpeg

Ivor  is in the eels hall of fame and still remembered for using  the cumberland tackle in aus throughout his career  Some say he was the first to show it in aus

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, rlno1 said:

What about David Topliss, helped Balmain to the 1977 Semi Finals. Scoring some great tries, including 5 in a game.

Steve "Knocker" Norton had 2 great years at Manly, including winning the 1976 premiership. I'd have him above Gareth Ellis.

Phil Lowe and Knocker Norton in the same pack must have been something to behold.

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

One guy who did really well out there was the wire half back Paul Bishop i seem to remember

14 hours ago, rlno1 said:

What about David Topliss, helped Balmain to the 1977 Semi Finals. Scoring some great tries, including 5 in a game.

Steve "Knocker" Norton had 2 great years at Manly, including winning the 1976 premiership. I'd have him above Gareth Ellis.

See my follow up post

I assume they mean British player who played best in Australia, as opposed to best British player to play there. 

People called Romans they go the house

2 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

I assume they mean British player who played best in Australia, as opposed to best British player to play there. 

That’s how I interpreted it

17 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

Yes so that's probably why Hodgson gets in,he has been a quality performer for Canberra for a few seasons now,whereas the likes of Schofield & Hanley although far better players only played a few short spells over there.

• Haha 1