If the ashes isn't going ahead, which it's looking almost certain it isn't, then I'm not too bothered about who we play as long as we do play, 3 years without a game would just be ridiculous. I'm sure they could get a good crowd into somewhere like Warrington or saints, especially with them saying they would give free tickets to key workers. As long as we don't go Leigh on a Wednesday night then I'm up for it. 

It's worth having as a proposal that can be explored. The key thing would be for the matches to be visible (so on free to air) and not loss making. I'm not sure we're going to be in much of a position to be choosy beyond that - although given France's exclusion from the proposed quarantine, *if* we are in a position for England v Wales then we are also in a position for either of them to play France. Probably.

But there are too many variables to be certain of anything right now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I would like to see a round robin tournament with a England, Wales, France and an invite team, then any overseas players over here have the option of to play and it can be filled out with players from Australia and NZ if they would like to take part.

Just now, dkw said:

I would like to see a round robin tournament with a England, Wales, France and an invite team, then any overseas players over here have the option of to play and it can be filled out with players from Australia and NZ if they would like to take part.

England, Wales, France and, *shudder*, Exiles ...

That wouldn't be too bad actually, would it? (On the assumption that it's vaguely possible).

Men's and women's. Plenty of content for the BBC there.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

England, Wales, France and, *shudder*, Exiles ...

That wouldn't be too bad actually, would it? (On the assumption that it's vaguely possible).

Men's and women's. Plenty of content for the BBC there.

Good idea to run Mens and Womens, maybe have the Womens games as curtain raisers to the mens games. 

It would be relatively easy to get sides made up within England for Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Jamaica at men’s level and if it could be done, I’d be more than happy, given the circumstances, to play some/all of those nations at some point this year. 

If there’s any possibility of any fans being allowed in, as much as I’d love to see live sport again, I’d happily see all tickets given to keyworkers. 

27 minutes ago, dkw said:

Good idea to run Mens and Womens, maybe have the Womens games as curtain raisers to the mens games. 

Exactly. And that would then fit the usual (ish) BBC set up of having women’s on the red button for highlights during the men’s game on a main channel. Given the likelihood of England women winning every game 100-0, I could cope with that.

Someone just mentioned Ireland and Jamaica. I don’t know how many of thei players would be coming from outside the UK so couldn’t comment but I assume Ireland is as exempt from restrictions as France is?

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Exactly. And that would then fit the usual (ish) BBC set up of having women’s on the red button for highlights during the men’s game on a main channel. Given the likelihood of England women winning every game 100-0, I could cope with that.

Someone just mentioned Ireland and Jamaica. I don’t know how many of thei players would be coming from outside the UK so couldn’t comment but I assume Ireland is as exempt from restrictions as France is?

Looking at Ireland’s last squad, five were non-England based (4 from Irish clubs and one from Manly). It’s quite possible that some of those who stepped forward to play in the 17 RLWC may step forward again to play for Ireland, especially given next year is a World Cup year and due to the likely lack of rugby this year. 

England wouldnt have the NRL players so would be good to get some of the others a run out, we would be a little bit weaker but get the games on.. Some international league as a "celebration" would be great! and to be honest we may be the first sport to get internationals going again if we can time it right.

Womens game as a curtain raiser too. 

Look at some stadiums like Bramall Lane that are world cup venues but a bit different, maybe that novelty would get a few more people interested??

Just now, RP London said:

England wouldnt have the NRL players so would be good to get some of the others a run out, we would be a little bit weaker but get the games on.. Some international league as a "celebration" would be great! and to be honest we may be the first sport to get internationals going again if we can time it right.

Look at some stadiums like Bramall Lane that are world cup venues but a bit different, maybe that novelty would get a few more people interested??

I haven’t seen this mentioned yet but I wonder what guidelines there will be around grounds used by more than one sporting team (KC Stadium, DW etc). 

9 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I haven’t seen this mentioned yet but I wonder what guidelines there will be around grounds used by more than one sporting team (KC Stadium, DW etc). 

we'll have to wait and see on that... equally keeping money in the game could be very important so its more of a "this would be nice" than a make or break. 

If it was Helliwell Jones, Headingly and AN other then thats fine too, and i would travel (if allowed) happily to watch those, put some money back into the game, watch some international RL etc.. 

Me and the boy have tickets for the Tottenham Stadium so would be nice to at least see some international RL. with the derth of sport at the moment i think anything you put on will get the crowds, if allowed to attend (which will be a big and important IF)

9 minutes ago, RP London said:

Although Bramall Lane has hosted games previously and has the one game next year not sure unless marketed heavily within the Northern General community how much interest would be generated from the people of Sheffield during football season, at least of the clubs will be at home that weekend too. On the other hand it could be a good tester event and be a huge success ideally we need the Aussies to give the backword sooner rather than later to give any event like this a fighting chance. Bolton and Elland Road are already booked be interesting if the RFL would have to pay compo to cancel Tottenham 

1 minute ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Although Bramall Lane has hosted games previously and has the one game next year not sure unless marketed heavily within the Northern General community how much interest would be generated from the people of Sheffield during football season, at least of the clubs will be at home that weekend too. On the other hand it could be a good tester event and be a huge success ideally we need the Aussies to give the backword sooner rather than later to give any event like this a fighting chance. Bolton and Elland Road are already booked be interesting if the RFL would have to pay compo to cancel Tottenham 

I would guess it would depend who cancels on who... if we find out first that the stadium is unavailable due to football commitments they may have to pay RL compensations (said with a large amount of tongue in cheek but you never know). 

Yes Bramall Lane may well not get much from Sheffield as such but there are teams down to Nottingham, Leicester (maybe further down too) and out to Donny etc that may see Sheffield as more accessible than North/west yorkshire. Equally maybe those from North/west Yorkshire may see it as OK and a bit different... which I thought would be good in reply to people wondering if there would be an appetite for these games.. 

11 minutes ago, RP London said:

we'll have to wait and see on that... equally keeping money in the game could be very important so its more of a "this would be nice" than a make or break. 

If it was Helliwell Jones, Headingly and AN other then thats fine too, and i would travel (if allowed) happily to watch those, put some money back into the game, watch some international RL etc.. 

Me and the boy have tickets for the Tottenham Stadium so would be nice to at least see some international RL. with the derth of sport at the moment i think anything you put on will get the crowds, if allowed to attend (which will be a big and important IF)

I think if this goes ahead you have to be looking at it, firstly, as likely to not be involving a crowd and, secondly, if it does involve a crowd then it will be a much reduced one. Then you need to be looking at the most practical in terms of accessibility for the teams and ability to manage infection control etc etc etc.

(I don't know which ground that leads to but "This large venue that will also be a World Cup ground" is probably not the best starting point).

Money/profit for this will have to come from TV and sponsors.

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think if this goes ahead you have to be looking at it, firstly, as likely to not be involving a crowd and, secondly, if it does involve a crowd then it will be a much reduced one. Then you need to be looking at the most practical in terms of accessibility for the teams and ability to manage infection control etc etc etc.

(I don't know which ground that leads to but "This large venue that will also be a World Cup ground" is probably not the best starting point).

Money/profit for this will have to come from TV and sponsors.

Ironically you could be looking at "this large venue that will also be a World Cup ground" being quite a good venue if you limit the numbers in... big stadium meaning more room for those people to be in.. 

Its not going to be an exact science now until we know more about where we stand at the time and exactly what is going on and yes, i agree, it may be without a crowd at all but we're all just spit balling until we know exactly what is happening and when (ie even when these games are going to take place.. October? November? December?)

Archived