Sign in to follow this  
henage

Spitfire Engine Start Up

12 minutes ago, henage said:

Mates got 2 Spitfire Engines . Not sure what stage of restoration / condition they are in . Would imagine this one will be stripped and rebuilt as good as new . 

Sounds like bandits at 12 o’clock got him.

Tell you what if they can restore it they make a magnificent sound.

• Like 1

Yes it will . He is a master at this sort of stuff , cant see him not getting back to 100% . Hopefully he will post updates 

• Like 1

I've posted this before, but I did once get buzzed at very low level by the only surviving Lancaster bomber. That's four similar engines without any silencers, and I still haven't forgotten the sensation - as much physical as aural.

• Like 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

8 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Pleasant or unpleasant? 

Well, at first I didn't know what it was, which was pretty alarming. Then I looked out of the window, just as it roared overhead.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Well, at first I didn't know what it was, which was pretty alarming. Then I looked out of the window, just as it roared overhead.

Wait a minute..... How old are you and was this in the 1940s?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Wait a minute..... How old are you and was this in the 1940s?

Cheeky! This was either very late Eighties/early Nineties. I live near the RAF Museum at Colindale, and the historic flights often pass over there towards whichever airfield they use for London fly-bys.

I've seen the Lancaster on other occasions, usually with a Spitfire and Hurricane as part of the display as they pass over North London, but on this particular occasion, it was alone, and much much lower than normal, so maybe they were having technical problems.

• Thanks 1

On 25/05/2020 at 00:29, Futtocks said:

I've posted this before, but I did once get buzzed at very low level by the only surviving Lancaster bomber. That's four similar engines without any silencers, and I still haven't forgotten the sensation - as much physical as aural.

During the Falklands conflict I was training outdoors at Redhill ARLFC when a Vulcan bomber flew overhead At low level probably going to RAF Finningley.  absolutely breathtaking and magnificent.

• Like 1

A similar engine experience was at Silverstone, where this 24-litre Napier-Bentley was racing. Note the lack of silencers! The backfire when the driver was slowing for corners was amazing.

Napier_Bentley_Mallory_Park_paddock.jpg

• Like 2

Best roar in the world when fully restored, I was at Barton Aerodrome for the Manchester air show was on, 40 years or so ago, & they had a MkIV Spitfire take off for a couple of fly pasts, then go to home.

The noise made my hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, but when it did its low level fly past, at speed, that's when I knew that is why it and the Hurricane won the Battle of Britain.

Edited by Bleep1673
  • Like 2

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

On 24/05/2020 at 15:59, Futtocks said:

If you want physical sensation, recently Hastings & South coast have been low level buzzed by Chinook Helicopters. That is Physical Assault.

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

42 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

If you want physical sensation, recently Hastings & South coast have been low level buzzed by Chinook Helicopters. That is Physical Assault.

Yes, the Chinook's double rotors create a resonance that really gets inside your head.