Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
superten

expansion

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, meast said:

How haven't they been allowed?

Surely they were allowed by winning promotion as Wakefield, Huddersfield, Salford, Widnes, Leigh, Castleford, Hull KR, London and Toronto did, they just weren't good enough to do that.

How is that being "not allowed"?

Only Keighley, Dewsbury and Hunslet were denied promotion to super league, did I miss Featherstone winning the league or promotion final?

Yes they won the League , but in the middle of licencing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if they do surveys of this type off thing but it would be good to know how many Aussie expats go to Broncos games South West London is traditionally a place where they are based, could the sport do more by engaging them or by bringing in some Aussies players. For the World Cup next year I would be inclined to base Australia in London, get the best players in the world out there and engaging with schools, community groups etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes they won the League , but in the middle of licencing 

But they weren't "not allowed" or denied promotion because there wasn't any promotion available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, meast said:

But they weren't "not allowed" or denied promotion because there wasn't any promotion available.

Agreed , just pointing out how ' Lucky ' they were ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/06/2020 at 11:43, DEANO said:

I do believe fev topped the league and won grand finals many times but were denied access

They've won one grand final but during the licensing era when there was no promotion or relegation, 2011, but Widnes had already been granted a licence.

They also lost in finals in 1998, 2010, 2012, 2014

So Featherstone have never been denied promotion to Super League.

Edited by meast
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, meast said:

They've won one grand final but during the licensing era when there was no promotion or relegation, 2011, but Widnes had already been granted a licence.

They also lost in finals in 1998, 2010, 2012, 2104

So Featherstone have never been denied promotion to Super League.

Oh I thought they’d won 2 grand finals. They were of course denied a place when sky bought the game

  • Haha 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct about only winning one final

Edited by DEANO
Misspelled

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, meast said:

They've won one grand final but during the licensing era when there was no promotion or relegation, 2011, but Widnes had already been granted a licence.

They also lost in finals in 1998, 2010, 2012, 2104

So Featherstone have never been denied promotion to Super League.

 

4 hours ago, DEANO said:

You are correct about only winning one final

Is he going to be correct about them losing the 2104 final though? 

I wonder who it will be against?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, mrfranco said:

 

Is he going to be correct about them losing the 2104 final though? 

I wonder who it will be against?

The Antarctica Snowmen!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mrfranco said:

 

Is he going to be correct about them losing the 2104 final though? 

I wonder who it will be against?

Mars Monsters...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2020 at 22:30, DEANO said:

I thought when sky bought the game fev finished higher than london

True FEV finished 11th in championship 4 places above the relegation zone and london finished 4th in divisopn one  2 places below promotion places 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DEANO said:

Oh I thought they’d won 2 grand finals. They were of course denied a place when sky bought the game

Part of the constitution of the game back in 1895 was to not let Featherstone and Oldham into any top flight summer competition I think  ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mrfranco said:

 

Is he going to be correct about them losing the 2104 final though? 

I wonder who it will be against?

Oldham, let the conspiracy theories and bitching begin now ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2020 at 20:43, RL does what Sky says said:

Does expansion mean the game is becoming more popular ?

These are cards that were issued by the "Rover" comic in the 1950s .....

    Rugby-D-C-Thomson.jpg.b6c7131648816a4f63c562346189f16f.jpg  s-l1600.jpg.b5ffede0e772785d229e58b9ca29348e.jpg    s-l500.jpg.6acb9d73099f30a11020699210e3846d.jpg

Alan Davies  (Oldham  1951-1960)   Oldham's all-time try scorer and most capped player.

Also shown is the full list of 48 cards issued in the set. As well as Alan Davies, other RL players are Eric Ashton, Alvin Ackerley, Ike Southward and Alan Prescott while others shown include Floyd Patterson, Tommy Steele, Bobby Charlton and Elvis Presley.

If RL is supposed to be more popular thesedays than in the past due to Super League, I wonder how many RL players would today feature in a set of 48 cards including stars of sport and entertainment ?

 

Further to the above ... RL was used as part of this story in the "Hornet" comic in 1963.  (Note that the opening text refers to "Rugby League" and not just rugby !)   If RL has supposedly moved forward in how the game is perceived and more well-known by people throughout the country then do we now ever see such references made to the game to make it more interesting for youngsters ?

bernardtheboot.jpg.c32fa03d317aea9477725a6ccc9a923f.jpg

96036255_download(1).jpg.9347e335894a397fe92959ea15f76d7b.jpg A great RL goalkicker called Bernard .. I wonder who that could be?

 

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

 

Further to the above ... RL was used as part of this story in the "Hornet" comic in 1963.  (Note that the opening text refers to "Rugby League" and not just rugby !)   If RL has supposedly moved forward in how the game is perceived and more well-known by people throughout the country then do we now ever see such references made to the game to make it more interesting for youngsters ?

bernardtheboot.jpg.c32fa03d317aea9477725a6ccc9a923f.jpg

96036255_download(1).jpg.9347e335894a397fe92959ea15f76d7b.jpg A great RL goalkicker called Bernard .. I wonder who that could be?

 

 Mr William Bernard Ganley, Another of Leigh/Oldham connection.

I forgot all about the Hornet, I used to get that comic every week.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...