Central American RL social media

6 hours ago, Pulga said:

First event done and dusted.

The table`s a bit of a puzzle. The PF and PA suggest each team played once - Mercenarios 46 BigOne 10 and Monseraptors 18 Diablos Rojos 18 - yet they`re listed as having played twice. Something to do with a drawn game perhaps?

The wider shot of the picture with the 4 blokes is a good illustration of RL as a game for all shapes and sizes.

Edited by unapologetic pedant
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The table`s a bit of a puzzle. The PF and PA suggest each team played once - Mercenarios 46 BigOne 10 and Monseraptors 18 Diablos Rojos 18 - yet they`re listed as having played twice. Something to do with a drawn game perhaps?

The wider shot of the picture with the 4 blokes is a good illustration of RL as a game for all shapes and sizes.

There were 4 games. Monseraptors played Diablos Rojos twice and BigOne played Mercenarios twice.

• Thanks 1

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

There were 4 games. Monseraptors played Diablos Rojos twice and BigOne played Mercenarios twice.

Clearly I need more puzzle practice before I take the Mensa I.Q. test.

What`s the reason for this format, given that all 4 teams were presumably at the same venue? At a guess, is it because this is a 9s series rather than a one-off gala?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Clearly I need more puzzle practice before I take the Mensa I.Q. test.

What`s the reason for this format, given that all 4 teams were presumably at the same venue? At a guess, is it because this is a 9s series rather than a one-off gala?

Correct. There's 2 more regular season events where each time teams will pair up with a new team and play them twice. Then a finals event.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

On 18/03/2021 at 10:34, Pulga said:

As for the Twitter handle, I did that on purpose. We're branding ourselves as THE rugby.

Just one of many examples - there`s a story today on NRL.com about Josh Schuster not following in the family RU tradition. The headline is "Schuster commits to long Manly stint after rejecting Rugby".

So, a player renounces "Rugby" to instead play in the National Rugby League. I suspect Nicaraguans (along with 99.9% of the world`s population) might be a little bemused by this.

BTW, I`ve noticed I kept referring to South America when I ought to be saying Central America. I assume you`ve been too polite to mention it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/03/2021 at 22:28, unapologetic pedant said:

Just one of many examples - there`s a story today on NRL.com about Josh Schuster not following in the family RU tradition. The headline is "Schuster commits to long Manly stint after rejecting Rugby".

So, a player renounces "Rugby" to instead play in the National Rugby League. I suspect Nicaraguans (along with 99.9% of the world`s population) might be a little bemused by this.

BTW, I`ve noticed I kept referring to South America when I ought to be saying Central America. I assume you`ve been too polite to mention it.

You're forgiven mate. Central or North America is fine. 

The thing that's driven me wild is me having to tell the European Rugby League, APRLC and IRL that Central America is in North America so will be affiliated with European RL not APRLC. I've honestly corrected all organisations more times than I can remember and they're still getting it wrong.

Read the last paragraph of this:

https://www.asiapacificrl.com/2021/03/23/mercenariosu-emerge-undefeated-after-first-leg-of-nicaragua-nines/

You're not paid to get this right but they are.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

4 hours ago, Pulga said:

You're forgiven mate. Central or North America is fine. 

The thing that's driven me wild is me having to tell the European Rugby League, APRLC and IRL that Central America is in North America so will be affiliated with European RL not APRLC. I've honestly corrected all organisations more times than I can remember and they're still getting it wrong.

Read the last paragraph of this:

https://www.asiapacificrl.com/2021/03/23/mercenariosu-emerge-undefeated-after-first-leg-of-nicaragua-nines/

You're not paid to get this right but they are.

Not sure why it would bother you, since you said several times you want nothing to do with any of these giverning bodies, including the new Americas confederation that is being formed. 

14 minutes ago, langpark said:

Not sure why it would bother you, since you said several times you want nothing to do with any of these giverning bodies, including the new Americas confederation that is being formed. 

This is part of why. They can't even be bothered to find out what continent certain nations are on. I could write a book...

Even in international RL there are cliques.

new rise.jpg

20 hours ago, Pulga said:

Given that APRLC will be broadly under Australian influence, and European Rugby League will be broadly under English influence, can`t help feeling the Central Americans would be better reclassified as South American. As least for RL purposes.

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Given that APRLC will be broadly under Australian influence, and European Rugby League will be broadly under English influence, can`t help feeling the Central Americans would be better reclassified as South American. As least for RL purposes.

In all honesty I can't see much difference. Neither inspires much confidence.

Canada, USA and Jamaica are all under the ERL. With the amount of migration from Central America to the USA it makes sense to be under the ERL too until the Americas Federation comes about.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

5 hours ago, Pulga said:

Excited to find a Costa Rican playing for LA Mongrel in California.

Via this link, I got to the California Rugby League Twitter page, which had some game footage with the following comment attached - 

"Boys really starting to get the hang of it. Good clean phase ball". And the tackled players were rolling the ball between their legs. It came across as a League/Union hybrid ruck. (similar to the current UK rollball).

And yet there were clips down the page featuring other teams playing the ball correctly.

Edited by unapologetic pedant
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you are interested in sponsoring the Mapaches please reach out. 

Sponsoring a Central American club requires very little money but helps a lot.

new rise.jpg

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Pulga said:

The tournament organizer is quoted as saying "The idea came from seeing the number of players taking up the sport in Chinandega".

When this type of apparently spontaneous interest arises, I always want to know how they became aware of RL and how far the familiarity extends.

Is it purely on the ground word-of-mouth? What do they get to see? Have they noticed NRL online - YouTube highlights or NRL.com? Do they follow NRL on social media?

Have to confess I have mixed feelings at best about any attention they might pay to UK RL.

19 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The tournament organizer is quoted as saying "The idea came from seeing the number of players taking up the sport in Chinandega".

When this type of apparently spontaneous interest arises, I always want to know how they became aware of RL and how far the familiarity extends.

Is it purely on the ground word-of-mouth? What do they get to see? Have they noticed NRL online - YouTube highlights or NRL.com? Do they follow NRL on social media?

Have to confess I have mixed feelings at best about any attention they might pay to UK RL.

I can probably clear up a little here. ERL hasn't got the facts exactly right. There has been rugby league in Nicaragua since 2019. They played a national comp that year with 4 teams. 2 from Managua, one from León and one from Chinandega.

So the three teams that played this 9s tournament were like feeder teams to the Chinandega Volcano (plays in the national championship). The 4th team was a 9s version of one of the Managua teams that also play in the national championship.

Since 2019 Chinandega has seen a grassroots explosion of popularity mainly through word of mouth.

I don't think they have access to any NRL or SL. Some do follow the game on social media and I know they watch the Elite 1 and Qld Cup on Facebook when it's streamed there.

• Thanks 2

new rise.jpg

14 hours ago, Pulga said:

I can probably clear up a little here. ERL hasn't got the facts exactly right. There has been rugby league in Nicaragua since 2019. They played a national comp that year with 4 teams. 2 from Managua, one from León and one from Chinandega.

So the three teams that played this 9s tournament were like feeder teams to the Chinandega Volcano (plays in the national championship). The 4th team was a 9s version of one of the Managua teams that also play in the national championship.

Since 2019 Chinandega has seen a grassroots explosion of popularity mainly through word of mouth.

I don't think they have access to any NRL or SL. Some do follow the game on social media and I know they watch the Elite 1 and Qld Cup on Facebook when it's streamed there.

Keep the news coming mate. Cheers me up no-end! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Pulga said:

Belize taking their formative steps.

Great stuff. Belize is quite interesting considering it’s recent history with the U.K. 

is there a large British expat community that could potentially be targeted into playing a role helping with development?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Great stuff. Belize is quite interesting considering it’s recent history with the U.K. 

is there a large British expat community that could potentially be targeted into playing a role helping with development?

Belize is very unique, especially in Central America. A Commonwealth country, nearly 50/50 split of Mestizo (probably what you think of when you think of the region, Mayan/European Mix) and Creole (African decent). English as the offical language but they speak a Creole.

new rise.jpg