Attending RL Games - Irreparable Broken Habits?

Scubby

2 hours ago, RP London said:

the irony being that if more people acquiesced to the rules that HM Government wanted (and i include employees of HM Government in this) we may well be closer to getting back to normal. Its not an absolute but it certainly wouldn't put us in a worse position!

on a separate note i really dont understand the issue with the masks.. and i do wonder whether this will change when we head into winter, a time when people wear scarves/buff headovers around their faces anyway.. 

get the stadiums open if you can, let me know what i need to do to make sure that i am safe and those around me are safe and i will go and watch again... want to get back to watching live sport.. if we are too far behind other sports i fear we lose supporters to them.

I have to wear a mask at work and I have to say its not pleasant after a few hours, especially if its a hot day. For sport I think the reasonable compromise might be masks in indoor public areas such as toilets etc but not in the stadium bowl itself.

Me, my family and friends are of the opinion we'll be going back asap regardless. Our day to day jobs are probably statistically more dangerous for us regarding covid alone (nevermind anything else to do with them). I imagine atmosphere will take a hit with reduced capacities but it's something I'm willing to accept.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I have to wear a mask at work and I have to say its not pleasant after a few hours, especially if its a hot day. For sport I think the reasonable compromise might be masks in indoor public areas such as toilets etc but not in the stadium bowl itself.

Me, my family and friends are of the opinion we'll be going back asap regardless. Our day to day jobs are probably statistically more dangerous for us regarding covid alone (nevermind anything else to do with them). I imagine atmosphere will take a hit with reduced capacities but it's something I'm willing to accept.

i'm the same with work, its not pleasant but its better than getting ill or not being able to work for 2 weeks and the factory shutting down (my next door neighbour caught covid early on, has asthma but is only mid 50s.. 3 weeks in intensive care and ventilation, he still isnt right now, has low energy, just starting to put weight back on etc nearly 4 months later!... i'll wear a mask rather than that to be honest)... big picture and all that.. thats where i dont get it, no one really wants to wear one but for things to start becoming more normal or at least to save things from getting worse and the knock on effect on everyone of more closures, higher job losses etc you just have to suck it up and put up with it.

I am sure there are things they can do around where and when but if you have to wear one all the time in the stadium but you get to watch the game, then thats better than shutting the whole thing down.. 

Just now, RP London said:

i'm the same with work, its not pleasant but its better than getting ill or not being able to work for 2 weeks and the factory shutting down... big picture and all that.. thats where i dont get it, no one really wants to wear one but for things to start becoming more normal or at least to save things from getting worse and the knock on effect on everyone of more closures, higher job losses etc you just have to suck it up and put up with it.

I am sure there are things they can do around where and when but if you have to wear one all the time in the stadium but you get to watch the game, then thats better than shutting the whole thing down.. 

I suppose it depends on how its seen and whether you want to take certain risks or not. I work in a restaurant part time and obviously customers don't have to wear masks. To me its a case of acceptable levels of risk the individual person is willing to take. Some people naturally will be highly cautious and only go places they feel uber secure at, but from my experience since reopening and particularly Eat out to Help out, they are a minority. Modern (and to be fair even the very old stadiums we have in RL) are generally very open an ariated places and hopefully that works in our favour. An RL game is just like going to a restaurant or pub, its non essential and ultimately the individual's choice to go and accept the risks of that decision.

I think people will feel jarred by things that seem illogical. A matchday could mean going to the pub with no mask on before the game and walking to the ground without a mask on only to then put a mask on when on the stadium site (but basically still outside) and sitting in a stand socially distanced from everyone still in a mask and still outside only to then leave the stadium after the match immediately removing the mask to go back to the pub you were in afterwards with no mask on alongside a load of the fans you were with in the stadium. I think a lot of people will decide its not worth it and will watch it in the pub or at home with better atmosphere.

It becomes even more difficult to justify wearing masks in the ground when some clubs are actively advertising the stadium bar as a venue to watch the club's games on TV sans masks!

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I suppose it depends on how its seen and whether you want to take certain risks or not. I work in a restaurant part time and obviously customers don't have to wear masks. To me its a case of acceptable levels of risk the individual person is willing to take. Some people naturally will be highly cautious and only go places they feel uber secure at, but from my experience since reopening and particularly Eat out to Help out, they are a minority. Modern (and to be fair even the very old stadiums we have in RL) are generally very open an ariated places and hopefully that works in our favour. An RL game is just like going to a restaurant or pub, its non essential and ultimately the individual's choice to go and accept the risks of that decision.

I think people will feel jarred by things that seem illogical. A matchday could mean going to the pub with no mask on before the game and walking to the ground without a mask on only to then put a mask on when on the stadium site (but basically still outside) and sitting in a stand socially distanced from everyone still in a mask and still outside only to then leave the stadium after the match immediately removing the mask to go back to the pub you were in afterwards with no mask on alongside a load of the fans you were with in the stadium. I think a lot of people will decide its not worth it and will watch it in the pub or at home with better atmosphere.

It becomes even more difficult to justify wearing masks in the ground when some clubs are actively advertising the stadium bar as a venue to watch the club's games on TV sans masks!

i do understand all that and there are things in this that on the surface are illogical.. but the rules are there to give people the best chance of staying safe while balancing that with being able to do what you want to do. 

Pubs are, on the whole relatively small, as are restaurants, and with table service etc that persons "mingling" in the building is small, so the transmission rate to people that are in there at the same time as you is also relatively small, therefore the ability to catch and outbreak early and lock it down is higher... try that with a stadium of people who can be mingling around.. therefore the idea is that you have set places to be (but that doesnt satisfy some as above) or you may need to wear facemasks so the likelihood of transmission to a greater number is lower.. it could be one or the other or both which I believe is what the test events are for. But either/or both is important to adhere to and accept they are there to keep the risk down which means that spectators are allowed back.

its all risk and reward at the moment while keeping people safe.. if we all keep to the govt guidlines we are all doing as much as we can to keep ourselves and each other safe.. the "i'm not doing that part of it" (ie walking around without a facemask just "because they can" as no one is saying anything) are putting people at risk, not really what people in a civil society should  be doing iMHO.. 

we just need to accept things are different and bang on.. get back to the grounds and support the clubs, especially if the only way they can stay afloat is if the crowds turn up.. 

Due to the pandemic I think that people who watched the game pre super league will drop off as they realise they have been paying to watch robots running round like headless chickens and people posy super league dont know any different as they have not watched real rugby league live.

2 minutes ago, bobbies dad said:

Due to the pandemic I think that people who watched the game pre super league will drop off as they realise they have been paying to watch robots running round like headless chickens and people posy super league dont know any different as they have not watched real rugby league live.

Do you know I really think thats what hase been bothering me for the past 23 years, a lack a lack of real Rugby League live. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

25 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Do you know I really think thats what hase been bothering me for the past 23 years, a lack a lack of real Rugby League live. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

My biggest problem has been that I only want to see the robots from the Sky opening credits and yet I can't work out which club they play for

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

My biggest problem has been that I only want to see the robots from the Sky opening credits and yet I can't work out which club they play for

That must be very troubling I'm not sure how you've coped with the changes in title sequence.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

That must be very troubling I'm not sure how you've coped with the changes in title sequence.

I have my memories.

And, unlike some posters it seems, my marbles.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 14/09/2020 at 09:39, Robthegasman said:

I will,hopefully one day return to games.

But for me if we are told to wear masks,be in the ground at certain times or else,not to cheer when my team scores a try,be made to unsocially distance and be told that you must stay in your allocated area then I am sorry but I will not be attending.That is not for me.And stuff like this I believe was done at Doncaster racecourse last week.

Basically I want things to return to what they were before this all blew up. A basic human right as far as I am concerned.But with responsible in the main behaviour.

as it is an increase in covid in a part of Wales is being attributed to the Doncaster event causing a significant cluster of cases...

.One cluster is associated with a rugby club and a pub in the lower Rhondda valley, another is connected to a club outing to the Doncaster races, which Mr Gething said stopped off at a series of pubs on the way.

I remember back at the start in March the deputy CMO saying problem with events is more the visiting of PUBs and such small indoor gathering rather than the big crowd in the stadium...

On 13/09/2020 at 19:14, Pie tries said:

I cannot wait to go to a live game...

Sorry - not enthusiastic enough.

I love league, I love love sport. I miss TGG, I need to go. I will be back at the first opportunity- and will be thankful when I hand the money over.

12 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Gives you even more time to predict impending doom on the game of Rugby League, so at least you’ll be happy. 

I am a realist.The game is in the doldrums as many others have said.

But with the right changes whatever they may be the game can climb out of them and one day prosper 

Archived