Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Scubby

Attending RL Games - Irreparable Broken Habits?

Recommended Posts

Would be interesting to find out if season 2020 - and all the implications - has really created a potential long term habit breaker for those used to attending games every week? 

It's not just the walking through the turnstiles, it is budgeting weekly for you (or your family) to attend matches, away trips, weekend plans, watching your side on TV more etc.

Habits mean you don't really evaluate how much money and time you spend each week doing something like attending RL. The interesting thing will be finding the time and money to do that once again. I'm not sure anyone is to blame - it is a once in a century occurrence - but when we have to think harder about stuff we don't normally don't have to think about, it rarely results in more engagement.

Do you think your attending habit is broken irreparably, or will it snap back over (whatever) time to where it was?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either that, or the wait will fuel the hunger, and with many people working from home full-or-part time, there'll be a few extra quid in some family's budgets.

  • Like 4

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snap back instantly . I think when the time comes more people will want to go back after realising over time what they’ve missed 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Snap back instantly . I think when the time comes more people will want to go back after realising over time what they’ve missed 

I agree. We shouldn't just take it for granted, and it may be a slight slow burner due to nervousness, but I expect many will be chomping at the bit. 

This is one of the reasons I think it is important for us to carry on putting the games on tv and staging the finals and keeping ourselves relevant. If only at the top level. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree. We shouldn't just take it for granted, and it may be a slight slow burner due to nervousness, but I expect many will be chomping at the bit. 

This is one of the reasons I think it is important for us to carry on putting the games on tv and staging the finals and keeping ourselves relevant. If only at the top level. 

It won't be instant, when crowds are allowed back, as some who really want to be there will be of an age (or physical condition) where they feel at higher risk. But I think even they will return the moment they feel it is safe for them.

  • Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree. We shouldn't just take it for granted, and it may be a slight slow burner due to nervousness, but I expect many will be chomping at the bit. 

This is one of the reasons I think it is important for us to carry on putting the games on tv and staging the finals and keeping ourselves relevant. If only at the top level. 

What about the travelling number of fans to away fixtures? That has been in decline somewhat for the last few years. Will fans welcome travelling again (i.e. getting on the road when cooped up for so long) or is that decline inevitable now anyway? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uncertain on the effect.

Normally I'm at a game every week but have now got used to watching on TV.  So I'm not sure how I respond when can go again. I mean some stadium experience are so unpleasant.  Maybe becasue I'm older and like some comfort and less likely to put up poor stadium experience will mean me being more selective and using TV more.

Then again one of the Sky commentators never shut's up, often rambling on about game before or something the previous week... so that may mean more likely to go to stadium as he drives me mad... 

Key is clubs recognising possible issue and using "exciting" promotion to get us back in.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scubby said:

What about the travelling number of fans to away fixtures? That has been in decline somewhat for the last few years. Will fans welcome travelling again (i.e. getting on the road when cooped up for so long) or is that decline inevitable now anyway? 

It'll be interesting to see, but I dont think we will see a drop off, I think we will return to expected levels pretty sharply, and hopefully we can get a boost from it. 

But then I do think we are in a bubble at times and maybe there will be a segment of fans who will not rush back - the older crowd potentially. It often surprises me when I speak to people and they haven't been back to a pub or restaurant yet - despite my perception that everyone is rushing back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me a lot will depend on the circumstances and rules that HM Government put on clubs.

If as I suspect there will be strict”Social(Unsocial)Distancing”along with the taking of temperature, and the compulsory wearing of face masks then I for one will not go to any sports stadium again or until such time that things return fully to normal without exception.

For me it is all or nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It'll be interesting to see, but I dont think we will see a drop off, I think we will return to expected levels pretty sharply, and hopefully we can get a boost from it. 

But then I do think we are in a bubble at times and maybe there will be a segment of fans who will not rush back - the older crowd potentially. It often surprises me when I speak to people and they haven't been back to a pub or restaurant yet - despite my perception that everyone is rushing back. 

Those of us who post on here are the true addicts Dave. The casual fans will be much more unlikely to go along unless there is a compelling reason.

I see a significant drop-off, especially in the lower leagues where demographics will play an even greater part.

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Would be interesting to find out if season 2020 - and all the implications - has really created a potential long term habit breaker for those used to attending games every week? 

It's not just the walking through the turnstiles, it is budgeting weekly for you (or your family) to attend matches, away trips, weekend plans, watching your side on TV more etc.

Habits mean you don't really evaluate how much money and time you spend each week doing something like attending RL. The interesting thing will be finding the time and money to do that once again. I'm not sure anyone is to blame - it is a once in a century occurrence - but when we have to think harder about stuff we don't normally don't have to think about, it rarely results in more engagement.

Do you think your attending habit is broken irreparably, or will it snap back over (whatever) time to where it was?

The examples of other sports that have returned, even if modestly, I think shows a real appetite to go to live sport again. The routine may be broken but people want to watch games. I'll be stunned if crowds don't go up once full attendances are allowed.

  • Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Those of us who post on here are the true addicts Dave. The casual fans will be much more unlikely to go along unless there is a compelling reason.

I see a significant drop-off, especially in the lower leagues where demographics will play an even greater part.

We are a very small population on here johnny. The vast majority of season ticket holders don't post here and are likely to still attend. 

There is no reason to believe that fans won't want to return after an enforced absence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We are a very small population on here johnny. The vast majority of season ticket holders don't post here and are likely to still attend. 

There is no reason to believe that fans won't want to return after an enforced absence. 

What about those Hull fans who tore up their season passes before lockdown?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scubby said:

What about those Hull fans who tore up their season passes before lockdown?

I assumed we accepted that we wouldn't try and understand the mentality of Hull fans? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  can't wait to see a live game again. My only fear is that Warrington finally win the Grand Final for the first time in my life and we can't watch it live and then celebrate after. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s been a pretty decent uptake in attendances at non-league football level and I can only imagine that there would be a similar effect when people are allowed to attend Rugby League again. 

I live in hope that people realise the future the game is facing and make a concerted effort to get out to games when they can, should they feel safe to do so. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s been a pretty decent uptake in attendances at non-league football level and I can only imagine that there would be a similar effect when people are allowed to attend Rugby League again. 

I live in hope that people realise the future the game is facing and make a concerted effort to get out to games when they can, should they feel safe to do so. 

Yeah I think people are desperate to get out and get back to some sort of normality. The community game is returning in October as well, hopefully people will be allowed to watch NCL games.
 

I hope in the near future though we just have a normal round robin fixture list instead of Wigan V Warrington 8 times a season. Too much fixture fatigue 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scubby said:

What about those Hull fans who tore up their season passes before lockdown?

Or the ones who did the same after lockdown right up 'til this afternoon?


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I hope in the near future though we just have a normal round robin fixture list instead of Wigan V Warrington 8 times a season. Too much fixture fatigue 

After this crisis, the SL clubs will be even more desperate to make back some of their losses. So, probably not.


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Or the ones who did the same after lockdown right up 'til this afternoon?

They've got the sticky tape out again to repair their season passes 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scubby said:

They've got the sticky tape out again to repair their season passes 😄 

Unless they chucked them in the bin at the same time as their "Radford OUT!" t-shirts.

  • Haha 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know some RL fans are quick to look for negatives and predict the death of the game, but there no reason to think crowds will drop off once they’re allowed back. If anything I think they’ll go up for a while. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s been a pretty decent uptake in attendances at non-league football level and I can only imagine that there would be a similar effect when people are allowed to attend Rugby League again. 

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

Yeah I think people are desperate to get out and get back to some sort of normality. The community game is returning in October as well, hopefully people will be allowed to watch NCL games.

I went to a non-league football game yesterday. 250 crowd but even at that low level, the smell of fried onions, smoke and wanton abuse of officials will always top streaming and whatnot. We are human beings.

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s been a pretty decent uptake in attendances at non-league football level and I can only imagine that there would be a similar effect when people are allowed to attend Rugby League again. 

I live in hope that people realise the future the game is facing and make a concerted effort to get out to games when they can, should they feel safe to do so

For many people this is the key, however. I do know some died in the wool RL fans of "a certain age" who are genuinely fearful of venturing out. They will take some tempting and convincing that things are safe, once again.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...