Our bbc

7 minutes ago, RP London said:

no... 

Well the cultural make up of the Beeb is not a conspiracy but simply a condition , a way of seeing and doing things. If you like it's very similar to the way teachers see education as opposed to the way other people see it. Aunty does somethings very well and others not so much because of it's cultural blindness. In one sense it's blinkered. This is not the same as conspring against TGG as say some ru people might just an inability to see outside the box in which it lives. To take a political example just to illustrate they use the term migrant crisis about the few people crossing the channel, and even go out on migrant safaris in boats in case british people are too stupid to understand migrants in boats are risking their lives making the crossing. Why call the few this is true of a crisis? Why go out there in a boat? Because of their understanding of the story and their audience. It's all a bit like that noseblindness advert, that's all. There is more to it than this of course but that'll do for now.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Well the cultural make up of the Beeb is not a conspiracy but simply a condition , a way of seeing and doing things. If you like it's very similar to the way teachers see education as opposed to the way other people see it. Aunty does somethings very well and others not so much because of it's cultural blindness. In one sense it's blinkered. This is not the same as conspring against TGG as say some ru people might just an inability to see outside the box in which it lives. To take a political example just to illustrate they use the term migrant crisis about the few people crossing the channel, and even go out on migrant safaris in boats in case british people are too stupid to understand migrants in boats are risking their lives making the crossing. Why call the few this is true of a crisis? Why go out there in a boat? Because of their understanding of the story and their audience. It's all a bit like that noseblindness advert, that's all. There is more to it than this of course but that'll do for now.

what the hell has that got to do with the colour blindess thing?

If they were not being fed the story of the "Migrant Crisis" but were instead being told by the government that this was a good thing and that we should be helping them and not turning them away then it is highly likely that you would not see headlines like "migrant crisis" flying around.. they would cover this in a very different way.

what people are saying is that if the RFL worked on the BBC and fed good news stories the BBC would use them on the site etc.. and we do see this. The RL coverage on BBC sport is not as bad as is made out. i follow quite a lot of sport and the RL coverage is not that bad on the website etc.

With the highlights show they have figures of where it is watched and downloaded and by whom.. if it was a massive national audience they would put it on national tv, they may move it to prime time too if it was getting mass downloads. As i've said before they already do this with BBC3 programmes. 

You are seeing it as influenced by the culture, others are not. 

23 minutes ago, RP London said:

You are seeing it as influenced by the culture, others are not. 

No I'm seeing it as simply misdirected but largely benign. You're seeing them as the nice old friendly Beeb.

I did love your "They would cover it in a different way " theory though, very droll.

4 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

The BBC is the shame of this country 

I mean, I think Radio 3 should be bolder in its programming of contemporary music from innovative venues but I think you've gone a bit far there.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 20/10/2020 at 14:49, Oxford said:

Its a migrant crisis if you live in Folkstone.

Its not a migrant crisis if you are happy to have your fingernails done by some poor little Vietnamese girl.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

It's not a migrant crisis wherever you live.

HTH.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Its not a migrant crisis if you are happy to have your fingernails done by some poor little Vietnamese girl.

It is not a crisis in Folkstone, or anywhere else & any crisis has to do with many other things.

Rupert you'll be getting the thread locked and me in trouble, again!

Now do you want to discuss the Beeb and TGG or not?

Are you on the It's RL's fault not lovely old reliable Aunty side or do you think there's a relationship between how the Beeb treats RL and the game's standing generally? Or do you just like giving John Drake apoplexy?

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Its a migrant crises if you live in KENT (We are in the front line) for all the cuts made in social services 

4 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Its a migrant crises if you live in KENT (We are in the front line) for all the cuts made in social services 

Just so obvious isn't it?  But I've been trying to cut down on mentioning the self-evident . But that means it isn't really a crisis just a self inflicted drama.

Now what about the Beeb & TGG?

Back to the BBC I personally think that if we can get more internationals (A minimum of 4/5 a year) along with the CC then having 12/15 matches on FTA would be fantastic for the sport and they seem to do a very good job:)

With regards to other things dont get me started with all the licence payers money that the BBC wastes for instance  on RADIO 1/2 which should be culled.

Paul

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Back to the BBC  ........ Yay!

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Back to the BBC I personally think that if we can get more internationals (A minimum of 4/5 a year) along with the CC then having 12/15 matches on FTA would be fantastic for the sport and they seem to do a very good job:)

With regards to other things dont get be started with all the licence payers money that the BBC wastes on RADIO 1/2 which should be culled instantly.

Paul

I think we'd be much better served severing the World Service But more internationals is the key to every ill, issue and barrier for The Greatest Game!

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

I think we'd be much better served severing the World Service But more internationals is the key to every ill, issue and barrier for The Greatest Game!

Actually I am a fan of the world service as it plays a role albeit smaller now with the internet .

RADIO 1/2 though have to be closed ASAP licence payers money should NOT be used to compete unfairly against commercial radio.

14 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Its a migrant crises if you live in KENT

No.

It's not.

No matter how many soggy brown people Simon Jones tweets he's seen each day.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

No.

It's not.

No matter how many soggy brown people Simon Jones tweets he's seen each day.

Not it's a crisis in the same way that Aunty mentioning RL in a good light outside of RL programmes is real.

The pathetic numbers involved don't merit headlines and are more byword material.

The "Our BBC" of the OP is an assumption that the money we pay, and the fact that we're voters and citizens means that we have a right to a say. As RL fans that's as legitimate as any other group amongst many. Both viewing figures and numbers through the gate, when we have gates, mean that it's Aunty's coverage that is questionable not anything the game is or isn't doing. Having said all this and it is the thing most often missed by people who disagree the Beeb is excellent when it's good. However,  it will never go far enough because of the basic and endemic fault that its make up can't let it move beyond. It will cover some sports far beyond what they merit and ours far less.

18 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Keep this thread to the subject of Rugby League on the BBC.

We have reached agreement on this.

The BBC is excellent but could be better.

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We have reached agreement on this.

The BBC is excellent but could be better.

As it's obviously coming into Panto Season

image.png.634a60b21126d44c9570632c3a6b0d0c.png"He's behind YOU!"  or "OH, NO WE HAVEN'T!"

Archived