Sky Sports halving offer-What are the ramifications for Championship and Championship 1 clubs?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

So tell me how it will improve the product if it keeps the whole £20m.

Most likely, it'll pick and choose members to be part of the club that positively impact the image and scope of the competition.

That may include dumping both Castleford and Catalans for example.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

If the Championship and League 1 was faced with a pro rata 50% cut then this could be pretty much be achieved simply by removing the inequality in the Championship that sees the top few teams in the Championship getting considerably more than the rest. As people don't like clubs dominating the rest I'm sure people would have no objection to that. It would make for a much fairer Championship and and a more level playing field and many Championship clubs are doing fine with this lower level of funding as is.

But you are not offering a 50% cut on current funding,you are offering zero funding so where does that leave your proposal.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Most likely, it'll pick and choose members to be part of the club that positively impact the image and scope of the competition.

That may include dumping both Castleford and Catalans for example.

So when you've dumped those two,you dump two more the next year,you'll end up with a very elite league of 6.I'm sure Sky will love that.

5 hours ago, Damien said:

I would still like to see the lower leagues funded but it needs to be at a sustainable part time level. The days of giving nearly £600,000 to Championship clubs to be a retirement home for players should be gone. That has been a complete waste of money.

The last tv deal was also the rights to show the lower divisions

It wasnt free money but money for their tv rights..

Just to be clear

20 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

It won't it will tread water at best. 

But if it spends millions on propping up the championships unsustainable business model then it will decline

Is that the same unsustainable business model as SL then

The championship sold the rights to sky and got funding because of this. It wohld appear that the chanpionship can still sell their tv rights to whom ever

2 minutes ago, yipyee said:

The last tv deal was also the rights to show the lower divisions

It wasnt free money but money for their tv rights..

Just to be clear

Which Sky didn't bother showing. That shows the value to Sky. Giving the lower leagues 9% was unbelievably generous and was certainly something Super League didn't need to do. Just to be clear.

Feel free to kid yourself though.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Super League are what Sky pays for. The lower leagues aren't.

Nope Sky paid for the lower levels also and did televise the lower levels.

We no longer have the middle 8s so sky dont need to buy the rights to the championship to ensure they cover all SL teams.

Sky also dont get the free feed from France for a free produced game every other week so another short term fix that has a nasty kick back 

Elstone is ruining the sport

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Which Sky didn't bother showing. That shows the value to Sky. Giving the lower leagues 9% was unbelievably generous and was certainly something Super League didn't need to do. Just to be clear.

Feel free to kid yourself though.

Middle 8s

Million pound game

Sunmer bash

But it doesnt fit with your argument so keep making sh*t up lad

Just now, yipyee said:

Nope Sky paid for the lower levels also and did televise the lower levels.

We no longer have the middle 8s so sky dont need to buy the rights to the championship to ensure they cover all SL teams.

Sky also dont get the free feed from France for a free produced game every other week so another short term fix that has a nasty kick back 

Elstone is ruining the sport

If getting shown on TV was imperative for the championship getting central funding they would have restarted this year. It isn't so they didn't.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

If getting shown on TV was imperative for the championship getting central funding they would have restarted this year. It isn't so they didn't.

Erm are you a RL fan?

Middle 8s got cancelled and at the time it was muted sky wouldnt be happy as they were sold this.

Championship got funding as they were part of the last round of the tv deal.

Sky quite rightly wont pay more for less.

3 hours ago, haskey said:

Lets go for a deal with another TV company there are many about and st##f SL

That's the spirit! 😀😀

If as reported, Sky have offered a much reduced figure but for the top level only, and if as has been reported, the RFL retain the rights to the lower leagues, then the RFL is free to do exactly that. 

Just now, JohnM said:

That's the spirit! 😀😀

If as reported, Sky have offered a much reduced figure but for the top level only, and if as has been reported, the RFL retain the rights to the lower leagues, then the RFL is free to do exactly that. 

I am sure PPV would attract enough to make up the difference

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

Erm are you a RL fan?

Middle 8s got cancelled and at the time it was muted sky wouldnt be happy as they were sold this.

Championship got funding as they were part of the last round of the tv deal.

Sky quite rightly wont pay more for less.

I'm sure you fully expect a £10 to 15 million deal for the RFL, Championship and League 1 as well as this too then?

Its obvious you can't square the championship and league one's funding with a requirement for them to be on TV. Its simply untrue and this year has proven it as well as the addition of OuRLeague streaming live games. The money comes from Super League being on TV with the Championship getting occasional moments in the spotlight as an addition to that in slots Super League rarely if ever shows up such as Sunday afternoons.

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I thought you were intelligent,but if you don't know why it would have been impossible for the championship to play,then iI am badly mistaken.

1 minute ago, gittinsfan said:

I thought you were intelligent,but if you don't know why it would have been impossible for the championship to play,then iI am badly mistaken.

I absolutely know why the championship didn't restart and completely agree with the logic too don't worry. I just also know the money it gets from the Super League deal is in virtually no meaningful way connected to its value for TV either, otherwise, like the football championship, it would have had to restart.

Super League restarting was touted rightly as important for the whole game, because they were keeping the money flowing into not only their 11 coffers, but Super League's, the RFL's, and the 25 other clubs' coffers too.

I think we all know that Championship and Championship 1 clubs are not going to get any central funding.

So what I want to know is what have the Championship and Championship 1 clubs been doing to find a broadcast partner and other partners to replace the money that they will lose from central funding?

What are they proposing?

And let’s be Frank and blunt there is not very much time left.

28 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I absolutely know why the championship didn't restart and completely agree with the logic too don't worry. I just also know the money it gets from the Super League deal is in virtually no meaningful way connected to its value for TV either, otherwise, like the football championship, it would have had to restart.

Super League restarting was touted rightly as important for the whole game, because they were keeping the money flowing into not only their 11 coffers, but Super League's, the RFL's, and the 25 other clubs' coffers too.

You keep on saying that the Championship have no value to Sky. If SL. had kept all Sky money for the last 5 years, could you honestly hand on heart,say that SL. would be in a better place.There would have been no P&R (PROBABLY) and Cas and Wakefield would still have the same grounds.In a few years time if Champ and L1 clubs have fallen by the wayside,you may realise what value these clubs were to the game of Rugby League.

The question is: Sky Sports halving offer-What are the ramifications for Championship and Championship 1 clubs?

Shirley. The answer has to be that since these leagues are reportedly not part of the new contract, they are free to make their own  arrangements. Good luck.

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

That's simply false. It just means the championship runs on what it generates itself - not propped up by Super League money. As it largely did before 2015. 

Not true. All clubs have always received a share of all TV money 

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Yes, costs far less and means younger players develop. Instead of giving 500k to Fev or 350k to Halifax for example, they can keep that money. 

£20 million is cutting back the TV deal to the bone of what Super League clubs run on, they are not going to continue extravagantly donating money to the championship.

And how much would you have to give to Fev or whoever to ensure they could run and therefore be your feeder club if they have no other central funding? Could Wakefield or Salford afford the same? 

9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So 3/4 Championship clubs will be SL feeder clubs , completely dominating the rest , who's fans will quickly get dissoloutioned with , and will those feeder clubs fans ( and owners ) continue to support their SL reserves ? 

The 3 or 4 will eventually become the only 3 or 4 semi pro clubs left until SLE want rid

Archived