James Child on the LGBT Sport Podcast

38 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Being gay still has an immediate connotation with being effeminate, or at least not being "macho"; a stereotype reinforced by some of the most prominent figures in the Gay and wider LGBT Community - think Ru Paul's Drag Race or Louis Spence, for example. I can say from my own experience of high school and even Uni, that only those men comfortable and confident enough within themselves to either ignore that stereotype or embrace it to varying extents were able to confidently "come out".

A point made by James Child in the interview is that he found it (I forget the exact words he uses) basically weird when he realised he was gay because there were basically zero examples available to him of people who were gay and like him.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

You didn't rate Kallum Watkins? 

His tackling and defence, especially in combination with Ben Jones-Bishop on our right hand side in much of the early 2010s left much to be desired - such that when he dramatically improved this aspect of his game later in the decade (and particularly upon becoming captain in 2018) it was duly noted by many fans.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

His tackling and defence, especially in combination with Ben Jones-Bishop on our right hand side in much of the early 2010s left much to be desired - such that when he dramatically improved this aspect of his game later in the decade (and particularly upon becoming captain in 2018) it was duly noted by many fans.

I acknowledge that I watch primarily championship rugby.... but I always liked him earlier in his career. 

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A point made by James Child in the interview is that he found it (I forget the exact words he uses) basically weird when he realised he was gay because there were basically zero examples available to him of people who were gay and like him.

That is certainly a point I was trying to get across. I understand that perhaps by definition of them not putting it front and centre, gay men like Child are always going to be less prominent than more extrovert examples - but they are perhaps the figures who need to be, for want of a better word, "normalised", most.

11 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I acknowledge that I watch primarily championship rugby.... but I always liked him earlier in his career. 

I did too, especially with ball in hand. It was an example of how no one is going to accuse you of anything unless you are.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I did too, especially with ball in hand. It was an example of how no one is going to accuse you of anything unless you are.

I took being accused of homophobia seriously. I properly pizzed me off.

You don't know me or my family or what I'm involved with. If you did you may understand my angst.

There are few things in this world that will draw such a lasting reaction from me.... that did.

Edited by Robin Evans

19 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I took being accused of homophobia seriously. I properly pizzed me off.

You don't know me or my family or what I'm involved with. If you did you may understand my angst.

There are few things in this world that will draw such a lasting reaction from me.... that did.

Fair enough, call out stupidity like that, but don't hold onto it

On 26/02/2021 at 13:38, Wakefield Ram said:

Out of interest have you checked the penalty count from say 10 Warrington games reffed by Childs and 10 Warrington games reffed by other refs? Then you could be certain he's biased. Or not.

Hi, yes mate I have, and I am justified in my opinion that the man seems to have a major problem with wire, especially when we play saints. I don't make wild, sweeping statements,I have done my homework!

• Haha 2

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

4 hours ago, Wilderspoolmemories said:

Hi, yes mate I have, and I am justified in my opinion that the man seems to have a major problem with wire, especially when we play saints. I don't make wild, sweeping statements,I have done my homework!

You mind posting your homework? As I find it incredibly hard to believe that Child has a "major problem" with Wire. 

The man is a professional, and he will blow penalties if teams offend, which they do.. Surprisingly ......

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Click said:

You mind posting your homework? As I find it incredibly hard to believe that Child has a "major problem" with Wire. 

The man is a professional, and he will blow penalties if teams offend, which they do.. Surprisingly ......

When the homework is done it’ll show It’s more a Chris Hill problem than a James Child problem 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Wilderspoolmemories said:

If you can see that, then it would be reasonable to to think that Warrington's management would also see that. It would then also be reasonable to think that Warrington's management would have taken it up with the refs supremo and with the SL/RFL management. It would then be reasonable to think that the issue would have been examined and resolved.  

• Like 5

The problem with being punctual is that there is no one there to appreciate it.

On 25/02/2021 at 20:53, Spidey said:

Your local has the most diverse bunch of people I’ve ever heard of

really?

On 26/02/2021 at 13:34, Wilderspoolmemories said:

I'm not bothered about him being gay. I am bothered about him being an awful referee who seems to penalise us heavily while letting the opposition go unpunished for offences. I resign myself to the fact that Warrington will probably lose when I see he's been appointed to "referee" our match. I'm usually correct!!

I thought it was only Wakefield he hated and didn't let win 🙄

Edited by meast

On 26/02/2021 at 19:38, Tommygilf said:

That is certainly a point I was trying to get across. I understand that perhaps by definition of them not putting it front and centre, gay men like Child are always going to be less prominent than more extrovert examples - but they are perhaps the figures who need to be, for want of a better word, "normalised", most.

Quite so.  one thinks of Kenneth Williams, Hugh Paddick, Larry Grayson, John Inman and similar "camp" acts over the years. Chicken or egg?  Was this the only way they could get a job? was it expected behaviour?  This "campness" didn't seem to be a problem to them, though.

Drag Race is different. from what I have seen, its just tripe, complete and utter tripe. 

• Like 1

The problem with being punctual is that there is no one there to appreciate it.

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Quite so.  one thinks of Kenneth Williams, Hugh Paddick, Larry Grayson, John Inman and similar "camp" acts over the years. Chicken or egg?  Was this the only way they could get a job? was it expected behaviour?  This "campness" didn't seem to be a problem to them, though.

Drag Race is different. from what I have seen, its just tripe, complete and utter tripe. 

That last remark was in bad taste, remove it immediately! image.gif.6cf37ab59d1278a28bcd50ba3c0d274b.gif😶

Edited by fighting irish