Cameron Smith confirms retirement

11 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Even in that article he says he only decided a week ago, but delayed announcing it until yesterday because he thought the timing was right as he was going to be in Melbourne for the statue unveiling.

You know what I suspect is that the decision about him playing on for Melbourne was made months ago when it became clear that Melbourne had another star #9 on their hands and he was coming back to Melbourne this year. Bellamy probably told Cam Smith you will most likely playing a lot off the bench this year if you play on, Bellamy didn`t announce this publicly but played dumb out of respect for Smith saying things like `I still don`t know` up to a week or so ago.

The only other reason then Smith hadn`t announced it was either 1) like a savvy operator they were playing the media game knowing how much media it was generating with all the speculation; or 2) he was genuinely considering having a run with the Titans or possibly Broncos, I suspect the former because of all the Tom Brady comparison stuff that was going on.

Either way to get carried off the field like he was after the GF really should have told us all that his time was over at Melbourne.

8 hours ago, MrPosh said:

His wasn't a career with inspirational highs and moments that other players can't manage and he didn't win games on his own.

If I had to pick an aspect of his game that did stand out as the act of a champion player and where he stood alone, it  was his kicking game early in the set, the timing, accuracy and that ability to swing the momentum or drive home an advantage from this aspect of his game was unsurpassed for me.

A great player who made the the game look easy and who had the knack of making his teammates better players.Easily the best at game management I’ve ever seen and the fact he only missed 15 games through injury/suspension is testament to his toughness both physical & mental.

12 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Repeating that you mean nobody doesn't somehow make that statement more than just an opinion. It's fine you think that, but I disagree. I'd argue plenty and I mean plenty of captains have, including Paul Gallen, Geoff Toovey and Andrew Johns as examples that spring immediately to mind.

Nobody in my opinion has been a bigger whinger than Smith

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Well the storm don't appear to have missed him against a side who will be challenging for a finals place

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-2021-round-one-live-updates-melbourne-storm-vs-south-sydney-rabbitohs-at-aami-park-20210311-p579wj.html

They maybe missed his control in the 2nd half but Melbourne under Bellamy are just a well oiled machine and the day the coach leaves will have a far greater impact on the club than all the great players who move on.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

They maybe missed his control in the 2nd half but Melbourne under Bellamy are just a well oiled machine and the day the coach leaves will have a far greater impact on the club than all the great players who move on.

I think the second half today was quite telling. The Storm got off to a flying start but they were a bit disjointed when Souths came back at them.

Their defence got them home but no doubt the calm voice and game management was missed. But it is just one game and the Storm are very good team that will get better as their senior players step up.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 10/03/2021 at 18:37, Dunbar said:

Yes, I understand all of that. However I did get excited watching Cunningham play and Roby more than Smith.

And I really appreciate the value of a great rugby brain... the likes of Johns and Cronk and before them Lewis and Sterling.

There was something about the way Smith played that didn't inspire me. I must have seen hundreds of his games and yet none stick in the 

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

You quote four Halves that are in a position to control a game far more than a Hooker particularly in the era of three of them.

Smith is so far ahead of a player like Test match sick note Cunningham it’s not even close.

He was not flashy or has a big highlight reel but he won games and often tight big games with a touch of brilliance or leadership.

Every player brings different attributes to a team.

Cam Smith brought more skills and leadership than any other to his team at Club, State and Test level.

How have you been Dunbar?

I'm good. Hope you are as well?

I recognise all of Smith's qualities and I have tried to be careful not to be too disrespectful of his abilities or achievements.

It is an interesting comparison between Smith and Cunningham. I would rate Smith higher but there is not a lot in it. At his best, Cunningham was almost unplayable at times with his pace and power from dummy half.

If I were picking a squad or a team for a season I would go for Smith... if I were picking a team to win a game I may go for Cunningham... especially if the halves were world class.

Pity the Aussies didn't see the best of Cunningham, trust me, he was a great player. Better than a lot who have gone on to do very well in the Aussie comp.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived