Jump to content

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Once Toulouse are promoted into Super League, Sky must ensure that the seriously verbally challenged Phil Clarke plays no role in Sky telecasts of Toulouse matches.

I wonder how the incomparable Eddie Waring would have been accepted then, did Eddie in your opinion hinder or advance the popularity of Rugby League in his time as the 'Anchorman' of the sport in the UK?

And as Gooleboy says above, promotion has to be earned on the field of play first then if they manage that relegation needs to be staved off by gaining enough competitive points non of this protectionist sh-ite.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I wonder how the incomparable Eddie Waring would have been accepted then, did Eddie in your opinion hinder or advance the popularity of Rugby League in his time as the 'Anchorman' of the sport in the UK?

And as Gooleboy says above, promotion has to be earned on the field of play first then if they manage that relegation needs to be staved off by gaining enough competitive points non of this protectionist sh-ite.

Steady on 'Arry.

In my opinion Eddie Waring was a complete disaster. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I wonder how the incomparable Eddie Waring would have been accepted then, did Eddie in your opinion hinder or advance the popularity of Rugby League in his time as the 'Anchorman' of the sport in the UK?

And as Gooleboy says above, promotion has to be earned on the field of play first then if they manage that relegation needs to be staved off by gaining enough competitive points non of this protectionist sh-ite.

To be fair, Harry, it was from an Eddie Waring commentary that I first realised that French was not spoken in the same way uniformly throughout the country.  I had quite recently gone to secondary school, started learning French and was told that 'this is how French is pronounced', with the implication to my youthful, innocent mind that there was only one way.

Then I heard Waring commentating on, I think, a GB -v- France international, and he referred to a French player coming from 'Carcassonn-uh' and he teased his viewers by saying they shouldn't write in to tell him that the final 'e' was silent, because he had learnt that it wan't when the Carcassonne locals spoke.  Indeed, I think I am right in saying that in the local language, Occitan, the city's name is 'Carcassona'.  Maybe one of our French correspondents could confirm or correct that.

Another French name issue then arises.  Do you want your British commentators to pronounce French names as per 'standard French' or how it is spoken local to the people and places in question?  For instance, I once heard a post-retirement David Ferriol being interviewed at his vineyard  and how he pronounced the 'a' in the last syllable of 'Perpignan' was not how I would have been taught at school.  His was more like the 'a' in the English 'van'; whereas I would have been taught something akin to the 'o' in 'horn'.

This isn't just a foreign language issue of course.  How should British news readers and commentators pronounce British place names, for instance?  At the height of the Dominic Cummings trip to Durham scandal, I only heard one newscaster use a short 'a' in 'castle', as in 'Barnard Castle'; I used to live about eight miles from there and never once recall hearing it called 'caastle'!

Well, that's taken us nicely off topic...!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

The dude almost went to court with the coach because he wanted the fullback spot. He doesn't want to play centre. 

Yes I remember that. A very strange attitude to have after only a handful of games.

Edited by damp squib
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Gigot surely knows that he cannot pressure the coach, who has given him a professional career lifeline, on the matter of which position he will play.

That would require a degree of humility and self-awareness but we're talking about Tony Gigot here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

 Gigot surely knows that he cannot pressure the coach, who has given him a professional career lifeline, on the matter of which position he will play.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The dude went all out on the club after Guasch literrally paid him a lawyer for his legal issues and threw him a lifeline with a professional contract. He's capable of everything and anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hvy wg said:

The dude went all out on the club after Guasch literrally paid him a lawyer for his legal issues and threw him a lifeline with a professional contract. He's capable of everything and anything.

Catalans offered him a contract.  Gigot didn’t respond and started to look around for better.  Time ran out on the Catalans offer and Gigot needed up out of contract.  That’s what happened and Gigot made a dumb decision or was given bad advice by his agent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Catalans offered him a contract.  Gigot didn’t respond and started to look around for better.  Time ran out on the Catalans offer and Gigot needed up out of contract.  That’s what happened and Gigot made a dumb decision or was given bad advice by his agent.

Essentially missed his peak years as a result. So dumb.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Catalans offered him a contract.  Gigot didn’t respond and started to look around for better.  Time ran out on the Catalans offer and Gigot needed up out of contract.  That’s what happened and Gigot made a dumb decision or was given bad advice by his agent.

He asked for a lot of money. Nrl star money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...