Kangaroo Touring teams

Personally feel that there is more need for the Australian's to play an ashes series in this country then ever before if we are going to prioritise the growth of the international game. A place in the international calendar every 4 years is reasonable alongside the World Cup and the 4 Nations competition alternating between northern and southern hemispheres.

I wouldn't underestimate what England V Australia means to the rugby league supporters in both hemispheres either. Granted it is the over 40s with the happier memories but just as the All Blacks in Union and Brazil in soccer, they are a drawcard who will attract the crowds over here.

Which Aussie player wants to be associated with the first test team to lose a series to us in over 40 years? They will take it seriously.

Again, purely a personal experience, the last NZ tour game in Hull two of my circle of rugby friends made an appearance at the KCOM for the test match whereas we had twenty lined up for a trip London last November for the game against Australia at Spurs ground. Ages ranged from early 20s to mid 50s. Youngsters love the NRL and we all want to watch the green and gold in the flesh - maybe we are unique!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh to have a 'Roo tour in this country again. Somehow we killed the biggest high profile event our sport has ever had. I was at Old Trafford for Lydon's try (and the Aussie masterclass), was at Wembley when JD scored that cracker...in Aus in '92.......why cant we organise this....no answers please, would be too depressing....

6 hours ago, Pie tries said:

oh to have a 'Roo tour in this country again. Somehow we killed the biggest high profile event our sport has ever had. I was at Old Trafford for Lydon's try (and the Aussie masterclass), was at Wembley when JD scored that cracker...in Aus in '92.......why cant we organise this....no answers please, would be too depressing....

and we never needed SKY to ruin things for us either 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

15 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I have fond memories of especially the 1990 and 1994 series.

I certainly hope they can find a regular spot for the Ashes going forwards. I suppose that might depend though on England being at least somewhat competitive.

2023 is being talked about as a possibility.

I think that is definitely part of it. The Australian RL community sees England as more of a 2nd tier country these days like a PNG or a Fiji. Decent enough on their day, but never really going to match up to the big boys. 

The debacle that was the last international series really didn't help. If they had at least managed to take something from PNG, then maybe they could have kept a shred of credibility, but the walloping they took from a bunch of part timers left them open to ridicule. 

It will be a long time before the 'Roos agree to a regular 3 test series IMO. And the idea of midweek games at places like Wakefield or Workington? Confined to the dustbin of history... They aren't coming back.

Archived