2021 State of Origin Game 1 - squads, Origin Talk

Queensland, as usual, name their squad on Monday afternoon.

NSW squad: 1 James Tedesco (c) (Sydney Roosters) 2 Brian To'o (Penrith Panthers) 3 Latrell Mitchell (South Sydney Rabbitohs) 4 Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles) 5 Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm) 6 Jarome Luai (Penrith Panthers) 7 Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers) 8 Daniel Saifiti (Newcastle Knights) 9 Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs) 10 Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles) 11 Cameron Murray (South Sydney Rabbitohs) 12 Tariq Sims (St George Illawarra Dragons) 13 Isaah Yeo (Penrith Panthers)

14 Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders) 15 Junior Paulo (Parramatta Eels) 16 Payne Haas (Brisbane Broncos) 17 Liam Martin (Penrith Panthers)

18 Apisai Koroisau (Penrith Panthers) 19 Campbell Graham (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

I'm not convinced Murray is an effective edge forward and Trbojevic in the front row is a bit strange when you have Haas on the bench.

I would swap Trbojevic and Murray for Haas and Liam Martin in the starting line up and have the former two add some energy in the middle of the park from the Interchange bench.

But as with last year, a very good squad and the NSW key weakness is in the coaching box.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

That’s a strong squad.

Was reading earlier...

Earlier on Sunday Cameron Murray and Yeo both avoided bans over respective crusher and high tackles over the weekend, with Yeo free to play Origin by copping a $1150 fine with an early guilty plea.

I sense that Maroons will struggle to match that squad with injuries to some key players and concerns over suspensions.

MAROONS TEAM

Jai Arrow - South Sydney Rabbitohs

AJ Brimson - Gold Coast Titans

Kurt Capewell - Penrith Panthers

Daly Cherry-Evans - Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

Xavier Coates - Brisbane Broncos

Tino Fa’asuamaleaui - Gold Coast Titans

Kyle Feldt - North Queensland Cowboys

David Fifita - Gold Coast Titans

Moeaki Fotuaika - Gold Coast Titans

Dane Gagai - South Sydney Rabbitohs

Harry Grant - Melbourne Storm

Coen Hess - North Queensland Cowboys

Valentine Holmes - North Queensland Cowboys

Felise Kaufusi - Melbourne Storm

Reed Mahoney - Parramatta Eels

Cameron Munster - Melbourne Storm

Joe Ofahengaue - Wests Tigers

Kalyn Ponga - Newcastle Knights

Jaydn Su’A - South Sydney Rabbitohs

Christian Welch - Melbourne Storm

Here's how Queensland will line up.

1 Kalyn Ponga
2 Xavier Coates
3 Kurt Capewell
4 Dane Gagai
5 Valentine Holmes
6 Cameron Munster
7 Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
8 Christian Welch
9 Harry Grant
10 Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
11 Felise Kaufusi
12 David Fifita
13 Jai Arrow
14 AJ Brimson
15 Jaydn Su'A
16 Moeaki Fotuaika
17 Joe Ofahengaue

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Some key names there battling to recover from injuries, not having played in recent rounds. 
Ponga (Groin), Grant (Hasn’t played for ages), Munster (has said he’ll struggle to be fit for the game). Even if they play there’s a risk they may not last the game.

Then Felise Kaufusi is facing a one-match suspension for a trip on Jake Turpin in the Round 12 win over the Brisbane Broncos, which would rule him out of the State of Origin opener.

Surely Blues go into this with more confidence.

Blues have got 3 fullbacks in the backs and 3 locks in the pack . I think To’o will get targeted by the Maroons . If  Queensland get that team on the park I’ll back them 

The only Bronco in the Queensland team isn't a proper Queenslander either, having already represented PNG. Whilst there are some hugely talented players in these squads they are very short of props and I'm not impressed with the edge forwards when Angus Crighton isn't available. I also wish that some "proper" centres would get picked, particularly as there is such a talented crop coming through at the moment (S Crighton, Lomax, Best being some examples). Maybe there are chances for other nations at the world cup.

• Graham changed the title to 2021 State of Origin Game 1 - squads, Origin Talk

The countdown is on until the 2021 State of Origin series kicks off. With just a week to go, the NRL announced that the first release of tickets for game one Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville, have been sold out.

Tickets for Origin I went on sale to the general public at 3pm on Wednesday and were reportedly exhausted in just two minutes.

The NRL has since confirmed that additional grandstand seating will become available to purchase in the coming days.

Queensland Country Bank Stadium holds 25,000 spectators, however according to The Courier Mail, an extra 1800 seats will be installed.

Archived