• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best suggestion I’ve seen for revitalising town centre is to move people back in. Turn the big boarded up retail spaces into apartments and flats. Hoping that will encourage restaurants cafes and

Facts that aren't true aren't facts. There are c.900 asylum seekers housed in Stoke. There are over 5,600 in London. 5,600 is a bigger number than 900 and London is south of Stoke.

In the late 90’s I worked in the Planning and Regeneration Department of Wakefield MDC when an application was submitted for the Freeport Development - now called Junction 32 that now includes XScape

On 14/06/2021 at 01:56, shrek said:

Town centres in there traditional format are done and dusted with the odd exception.

I'd have thought the only future would be to slowly integrate residential property into future redevelopment projects and then the towns will naturally regenerate providing goods and services that local residents want.

In the late 90’s I worked in the Planning and Regeneration Department of Wakefield MDC when an application was submitted for the Freeport Development - now called Junction 32 that now includes XScape - to the south of Castleford.

I remember a discussion - during the Freeport application process- where the Head of the Planning Team dealing with the application suggested that the Council should refuse the Freeport application and instead build a new town centre on the land designated for the Freeport development and knock down the existing town centre for housing and leisure facilities.

He based his rationale on the changing environment for town centre usage and the fact that Cas town centre had no large blocks of land that could be utilised for large retail organisations to invigorate the town.  A new build town centre would have been designed to accomodate the changing needs of shoppers and would have been more adaptable to subsequent changing trends.  It would have been interesting if the Council had suggested the idea.

• Like 4

I think Hastings TC has always been declared as "In Decline", but apart from Debenhams, there hasn't been too many shops being closed, I think we have ridden the storm quite well in the last 12 months overall.

Oh, and Argos being moved out of the TC to Sainsbury's, like a lot of places.

Edited by Bleep1673

Where were you last Thursday?

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

I think Hastings TC has always been declared as "In Decline", but apart from Debenhams, there hasn't been too many shops being closed, I think we have ridden the storm quite well in the last 12 months overall.

Oh, and Argos being moved out of the TC to Sainsbury's, like a lot of places.

We have a very nice Primark.

One of the odd things I noted about Hastings town centre is how few shops there are (were) in the first place. There really aren't a whole host of units. There are a few around Priory Meadow that are empty and have been for a while - and the empty Argos and Debenhams do look bleak now. Argos is in a good place and would be a good spot for someone to run something seafront themed; Debenhams has the potential to be converted for housing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

In Wakefield, the flagship new (well less than 15 year old) town centre shopping precinct has lost Debenhams, TopShop, TopMan and Pizza Express in the past year, along with some smaller retailers. That's after losing BHS from the high street some years ago. These were flagship shops for the retail developments they were in and the city centre as a whole.

None of these shops have been replaced and all stand empty like gaping chasms. (HMV was to be fair so I didn't include that on the list). Sadly I think this will be a story echoed around the country.

Hastings still has Pizza Express, & HMV, although Top Shop/Man did close, it reopened as a discount/charity furniture shop, it has McD's, Kentucky, and a Yates's & Wetherspoons, plus some excellent independent restaurants, Indian/Nepalese, Italian, and Fish (of course), and kebabs. I think we will survive.

No Nando's, No Burger King.

Where were you last Thursday?