Sat 24-Sun 25 Jul: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

28 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Big score at Barrow, that margin wasn't predicted by many people. The in form  Bears on the back of wins against Hunslet and Keighley were put to the sword today by the sounds of it 40- 12 

They were most certainly not put to the sword. The score flattered us as we scored 2 late tries, the last one being a blatant forward pass.

Coventry are a much improved side this year.

11 minutes ago, Bring back GB said:

They were most certainly not put to the sword. The score flattered us as we scored 2 late tries, the last one being a blatant forward pass.

Coventry are a much improved side this year.

I never saw the game but still have to disagree, yes they are getting better but 40-12 is a drubbing in any book regardless of the scenarios on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Big score at Barrow, that margin wasn't predicted by many people. The in form  Bears on the back of wins against Hunslet and Keighley were put to the sword today by the sounds of it 40- 12 

Best team won Raiders ran away to 18-0  

but from then on it was arm wrestle until late on. Even the barrow fans thought Cov hadscored first. Flattering score for the Raiders. This Coventry team do not just lie down

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

4 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

I never saw the game but still have to disagree, yes they are getting better but 40-12 is a drubbing in any book regardless of the scenarios on the pitch. 

Absolute rubbish. It was 24-12 late into the second half and was a proper battle on the field. A couple of late tries added gloss to the win but it was anything but a drubbing. Oh and barely anyone was predicting a Bears win

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Absolute rubbish. It was 24-12 late into the second half and was a proper battle on the field. A couple of late tries added gloss to the win but it was anything but a drubbing. Oh and barely anyone was predicting a Bears win

I never said the Bears were predicted to win, it was predicted by many to be a closer margin? All I meant is 40-12 with 3 unanswered trys in the second half, sounded very convincing. To stop any more trys for 50 minutes shows a good D effort. That's all. 

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Didn’t they give away something like 16,000 free season tickets?

Don’t think we gave that many out. Gone in to local schools doing stuff with the kids and giving tickets to the kids but have to have paying adult to get in. You can also get in for free if you go at 1 pm   Lady’s play first then the main game at 3pm. The ground is buzzing at the moment and never seen so many young ones in the ground. Other clubs should try it. 

13 hours ago, DoubleD said:

The ground has people there from 11am to 8pm eating and drinking so I suspect the income from that far outweighs the free tickets given out. 

2 minutes ago, RSN said:

The ground has people there from 11am to 8pm eating and drinking so I suspect the income from that far outweighs the free tickets given out. 

I don't doubt it. I admire what Barrow are doing as a club. My point was people keep posting about their stellar attendances, but I'm sure I read they gave out around 16k free tickets. If that's the case, then the attendances are not surprising, in fact I would have expected them to be higher still

21 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Yes to school kids & as everyone knows the take up is usually low bit at least they are trying their best & reaping the benefits.

Archived