Jump to content

Sat 31 Jul-Sun 1 Aug: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread


Recommended Posts


5 hours ago, fearnowt said:

You're going to love the new ground. 😀

Been here before for a preseason game some years ago ...... And it's also the ground that an idiot from Barnsley duffed my knee up and killed my American football playing days even more years ago 🙁🙁..... Love Eiris park, me......

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/07/2021 at 18:16, tim2 said:

Definitely Coventry's best season. Just in time for the setup to be completely revamped, almost certainly at the expansion clubs' expense. For it was ever thus.

 

On 31/07/2021 at 18:37, weighman said:

With no central funding I doubt there will be 16 clubs !

 

10 hours ago, fearnowt said:

There won't be a plan for League 1, there never is, the clubs are just left to fend for themselves. Ironically, we are probably the best prepared for losing any central funding, we are so used to it now.

If the rumours of significant central funding cuts and the amount just about covering travel expenses/doctor  fees/stadium & pitch costs - Will league 1 clubs be able to pay players? Will players want to play for free? Will players want to be traveling across to Wales/Down to Coventry/London with no financial remuneration? (& vice versa for the expansion teams that do a lot more travelling.)

Worrying times ahead for league 1 in the heartlands & posible extinction for the expansion clubs 🥲

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

 

 

If the rumours of significant central funding cuts and the amount just about covering travel expenses/doctor  fees/stadium & pitch costs - Will league 1 clubs be able to pay players? Will players want to play for free? Will players want to be traveling across to Wales/Down to Coventry/London with no financial remuneration? (& vice versa for the expansion teams that do a lot more travelling.)

Worrying times ahead for league 1 in the heartlands & posible extinction for the expansion clubs 🥲

 

These proposed changes will disproportionately affect clubs outside the heartlands who are already at a disadvantage due to their location. Unless clubs have wealthy backers, or are able to generate revenue in their own stadium then there will be tough times ahead. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't complain about 72-4, pity I had to miss it but family came first as it was the first time my aunt had been able to leave her care home for a meal and get to see all of us for 18 months. As far as the rumoured reorganisation is concerned, the Cru are probably the best placed of the 'new' clubs given our location but I fear for particularly West Wales and the Skolars.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A comfortable win in the end against a very gallant West Wales.

The 610 attendance was a 116% improvement on the last fixture between the two clubs in North Wales, and 79% more than our average crowd at Queensway in 2019. In fact, during the three years at Queensway before the pandemic, we only had one crowd higher than today's, against Bradford, when most of the crowd were Bulls fans.

The board and staff at the club have stuck their necks out and worked their socks off to make the move to Colwyn Bay work. They are desperate for the fans to "sign off"  the move and it was a joy to see the looks on their faces today. It was nice to see so many people returning, some of them not seen since the Racecourse days. It looks like the long overdue revival has finally started.

No doubt in my mind that Coventry v North Wales will be the tie of the round next week, unfortunately I will have to miss it due to work.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay;  My, oh, my, what a wonderful day,

Plenty of sunshine headin' our way;  At Stadiwm Zip World, Colwyn Bay!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Can't complain about 72-4, pity I had to miss it but family came first as it was the first time my aunt had been able to leave her care home for a meal and get to see all of us for 18 months. As far as the rumoured reorganisation is concerned, the Cru are probably the best placed of the 'new' clubs given our location but I fear for particularly West Wales and the Skolars.

The full match is on YouTube Steve

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, fearnowt said:

A comfortable win in the end against a very gallant West Wales.

The 610 attendance was a 116% improvement on the last fixture between the two clubs in North Wales, and 79% more than our average crowd at Queensway in 2019. In fact, during the three years at Queensway before the pandemic, we only had one crowd higher than today's, against Bradford, when most of the crowd were Bulls fans.

The board and staff at the club have stuck their necks out and worked their socks off to make the move to Colwyn Bay work. They are desperate for the fans to "sign off"  the move and it was a joy to see the looks on their faces today. It was nice to see so many people returning, some of them not seen since the Racecourse days. It looks like the long overdue revival has finally started.

No doubt in my mind that Coventry v North Wales will be the tie of the round next week, unfortunately I will have to miss it due to work.

I quite like the new ground and don’t mind the 45 minute journey from Wrexham. I took a mate with me who had been to a game of RL about 40 years ago. We were talking to a couple who’d travelled from Wakefield and another two who were on holiday in Llandudno and had dropped in to watch a game. He really enjoyed it and wants to come to the next home game.

The Raiders team never gave up and even scored a try with the last movement of the game, fair play to them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...