Where are we going to play next season?

jroyales

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are times when you have got to get things off your chest even if there is nobody out there listening and you can't do anything to help and this is one of those times.

I have mentioned before that Oldham are "my second team" and for my sins I was very briefly media officer (unpaid) for The ill-fated Bears under Jim Quinn's disastrous leadership.

Unfortunately if it is true that nobody will touch Oldham RL with a barge pole and the RFL are cutting League One clubs down to £20,000 in order to give SL Clubs an extra £45,000 each to spend on a second-rate over the hill Aussie then not only are ORLFC doomed the game itself will become history in no time.  Cut off the roots and you kill the whole plant.

AHaF has got it spot on.  Getting back to Oldham, engaging with the public via schools businesses and amateur clubs is the only hope. You cannot begin to rebuild a club called Oldham in Stalybridge, Ashton, Rochdale or wherever else CH decided to put in his tent pegs.

I really feel for Oldham fans - I lived in Dukinfield for more than 20 years (Mike Ford started his RU coaching career there) but am now back in my birth town reporting for E Express on Barrow Raiders.

I believed 25 years ago that the formation of Super League was the most divisive act ever undertaken by stewards of the game and nothing has happened to alter that view. 

All I can hope is that CH listens to the Oldham public and for Pete's sake get some  body on board who will move mountains to save the club.  Or is that just whistling in the wind from a hundred and odd miles away?

7 hours ago, Rowan said:

All I can hope is that CH listens to the Oldham public and for Pete's sake get some  body on board who will move mountains to save the club.  Or is that just whistling in the wind from a hundred and odd miles away?

That's another burnt bridge!

I agree with Rowan's opinion about Super League - Swinton are nothing more than a feeder club now regardless of ambitions that we supporters may have for our teams - sadly RL now is all about Super League - I even get wound up with the Challenge cup - with seeding it is impossible for any team outside Super League to get to the final - so I am sick and tired of seeing Wigan, Warrington, Leeds, Hull, etc getting to the final - in the good old days big clubs met each other in the early rounds so smaller clubs had a chance to progress - but not now - anyway none of this helps Oldham find a ground for next season 😞

This is a different thread BUT an important one.

There is no doubt that full time professionalism and the subsequent advent of sooperdooperleague has almost brought an end to our great game, which I feel is becoming a reality.

I have been advocating for years, I even contacted all of the clubs outside of SL about the need for a Second Great Schism and let SL go its own way. I didn't receive one reply.

Surely, now is the time since SL doesn't give a damn about anybody but themselves.

2 hours ago, jroyales said:

This is a different thread BUT an important one.

There is no doubt that full time professionalism and the subsequent advent of sooperdooperleague has almost brought an end to our great game, which I feel is becoming a reality.

I have been advocating for years, I even contacted all of the clubs outside of SL about the need for a Second Great Schism and let SL go its own way. I didn't receive one reply.

Surely, now is the time since SL doesn't give a damn about anybody but themselves.

The problem I have with this is, superleague needs to break away from the RFL. As Oldhamers the RFL is in our blood. It was run , by Joseph Platt in Queens st for the first 30 years of it's life. We need to retain all that is the RFL, including and especially the challenge cup. Will superleague break away? All the signs are that they are trying to get closer and take over the RFL itself.

3 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Can't guarantee 5 years though. If we go back up we can't play there.

Just out of interest does anyone know what it would take for Whitebank to meet championship rugby standard. That is allowing for the fact that any restructure of the leagues will no doubt mean moving the goalposts. No pun intended.

56 minutes ago, shaw llewellyn said:

Just out of interest does anyone know what it would take for Whitebank to meet championship rugby standard. That is allowing for the fact that any restructure of the leagues will no doubt mean moving the goalposts. No pun intended.

Not 100% but I thought seating for 2,000, plus stricter safety protocols, fire Marshall's, stewards, entrance and exit standards etc.  Also I don't think the pitch would meet championship standards. Now st Anne's on the other hand has bags of potential. 

Archived