2021 Dream Team

Whippet13

"202 Dream Team"

A new chapter in Rugby League history. The same year that the Roman Empire banned female gladiators and Septimus Severus returned to Rome.

So why isn't Stanley Gene in the dream team?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

57 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

"202 Dream Team"

A new chapter in Rugby League history. The same year that the Roman Empire banned female gladiators and Septimus Severus returned to Rome.

So why isn't Stanley Gene in the dream team?

The Colosseum would suit magic I feel, holds 50,000, city centre location, plenty of bars about, in better nick than a couple of club grounds and less bloodshed than the areas around some club grounds as well. 

12 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The Colosseum would suit magic I feel, holds 50,000, city centre location, plenty of bars about, in better nick than a couple of club grounds and less bloodshed than the areas around some club grounds as well. 

Someone will complain that the tickets are too cheap at only 2 sestertii and this, along with importing Gaulish teams, will be the death of the game.

Plus the pitch markings in an oval arena. WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE PITCH MARKINGS?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Someone will complain that the tickets are too cheap at only 2 sestertii and this, along with importing Gaulish teams, will be the death of the game.

Plus the pitch markings in an oval arena. WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE PITCH MARKINGS?

Well now I presume that is the pricing only for the very top tier where we're just gonna stick our wives and slaves? The beauty of the Colosseum of course is the improvement of its seating and facilities the further down the tiers you go. Much like the arrangement we have at Wembley where Club Wembley seats can be bought by anyone for the Cup final, the reserved tiers of the Colosseum could be sold to the masses for Magic. 

----

So we would have the usual women and slaves in the Maenianum Secundum in Legneis which is standing room, roughest of the rough terracing, really open to the elements and they (or rather their masters) would pay the 2 sestertii you suggest. 

Then, of course we have the Summum for the proper diehard, working class, pie and pint, Old boy fans and they would pay 3 sestertii I think. 

Then we go to the more casual fans who go more for the event, the kind of people whom might go down out of curiosity more than any actual want to watch a rugby league game, slightly wealthier, more middle class Romans attracted more for the novelty factor and they would pay 1 denarius. 

Then we are onto the Maenianum Primum, proper Club Colosseum territory now where there will be vendors renting cushions out to fans unless they want to bring their own chair. We're jumping in price here, we're going 2 denarii I think. 

At the bottom of course we have seating usually reserved for the senators and they'll obviously be admitted free of charge and I imagine they'll be quite excited to watch a bunch of Britons and Gauls bashing the hell out of each other for a whole weekend. Now, we will offer this seating to ordinary punters as well though but it will be at a premium, we are talking 4 denarii but for that you do get a chair and a souvenir scroll. 

That just leaves the boxes. We'll invite the Emperor and the Vestal Virgins but if they don't wanna come them we'll just smack an extortionate price on them of, say 10 denarii but of course for that you can get a whole family in the box, you'll get complimentary wine and a whole feast of your favourite foods including oysters, snails, thrushes and that more expensive of delicacies barbequed dormice, and your souvenir scrolls. 

----

A pretty good pricing structure I feel, something to fit everyone's budget and we'll even treat them to a Friday night game to get them worked up for the big weekend, perhaps even an international if we can persuade the Carthaginians to make an appearance, although they'll no doubt argue they can't travel due to wanting their players to play a few worthless pre-season games in Germania or something. After all they did pull out of the 202 Trophaeum Mundi let's not forget. Still we'll get our revenge when we slaughter them in the final of the 206 Trophaeum Mundi in Gaul! 👍

5 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

The oval arena is to allow for the chariot racing on a Wednesday evening. 

Let's not forget that oval pitches have been used before when games have been played at cricket grounds, alright it normally looks rubbish but there is precedence and it can't be any more rubbish than some of these artificial pitches that have markings for every sport on the planet apart from rugby league. 

6 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

The oval arena is to allow for the chariot racing on a Wednesday evening. 

Odsalosseum. Wembelia of the North.

"My mud hut village is better than the bigger mud hut village next door and deserve to be in the Superus Duperus."

• John Drake changed the title to 2021 Dream Team

Archived