Handball!

Rather than hunt for the wonderfully named "Gingerjon is right" thread, I thought I'd have a proper handball one.

Great Britain's senior men return to action for the first time in an age as they seek to go deep into the qualification for the 2023 World Championship. A more realistic aim over their three games in this stage one group (today, tomorrow, Sunday) will be to at least not lose by too much in each match. But even that might be too much to hope for.

Preview here: https://www.eurohandball.com/en/news/en/great-britain-return-and-dare-to-dream-once-again/

All three matches are live (and free) on ehftv.com starting at 5pm this evening.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Half time and it's Georgia 17:9 Great Britain. Entirely to script. GB looking occasionally okay going forward but really aren't together enough at the back to stop an efficient Georgia.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

And that's it. GB actually win the second half. Final score 32:26 to Georgia.

There's no danger of us qualifying for anything within the next decade but good to see GB back on the court and not being embarrassed.

• Like 1

Didn’t see today’s game but it sounds like it was pretty similar. This time Estonia beat GB 34:22.

13 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I never understand how tackling is performed in handball or is that aspect of it more like basketball?

Pretty similar although you can do a lot more in your face and bumping than you can in basketball. It is rare to tackle (less rare to intercept), it's usually a sign that the attacking team isn't as good or is getting desperate.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Do we try to recruit Gefmans with British soldiers/grandparent  father's?

Where do we recruit players from?

The UK Sport funding being cut essentially meant that that kind of recruitment had to stop (I believe) as there was no ability to do it. The funding is back now so there is an active programme of seeking out players (rather like Ireland cricket and others do).

I think the majority of the current GB team are either people from handball countries who now live here or people with GB heritage/passports who live in handball countries - with a small but growing number of domestic players. Not 100% sure though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The UK Sport funding being cut essentially meant that that kind of recruitment had to stop (I believe) as there was no ability to do it. The funding is back now so there is an active programme of seeking out players (rather like Ireland cricket and others do).

I think the majority of the current GB team are either people from handball countries who now live here or people with GB heritage/passports who live in handball countries - with a small but growing number of domestic players. Not 100% sure though.

I'm surprised the game isn't bigger in the UK, my regiment played it a lot whilst posted in Germany in the 70s it's a cracking sport. 

• Like 2

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 09/11/2021 at 08:50, gingerjon said:

My youngest son was at an athletics event at Lee Valley (coaching for long/triple/high jump & pole vault) when he was in his mid-teens - not too long after the 2012 Olympics. The GB handball coaching staff were there too and basically told the assembled athletes that if they took up handball, they had a decent shot of playing for their country at some level, as there just weren't that many people playing.

I always use korfball as my measuring stick for minority sports; there's definitely more korfball players than handball players in Britain.

4 hours ago, JonM said:

My youngest son was at an athletics event at Lee Valley (coaching for long/triple/high jump & pole vault) when he was in his mid-teens - not too long after the 2012 Olympics. The GB handball coaching staff were there too and basically told the assembled athletes that if they took up handball, they had a decent shot of playing for their country at some level, as there just weren't that many people playing.

I always use korfball as my measuring stick for minority sports; there's definitely more korfball players than handball players in Britain.

It seems that a selling point to be a korfball player in England would be that as it's a minority sport in every country it's played that not only international honours, but actual medals, could be forthcoming. I see that England finished fourth in the most recent Euros for example.

It's a good comparison in terms of numbers. Looking at the maps and clubs, I'd say they're pretty close but I suspect you're right that korfball has more.

Anyway, I don't much care, as Dunkerque fluked past Nancy last night and I was very happy as a result. 

This evening at 7.45pm on ehftv.com you can sample the delights of a top of the table EHF Champions League group clash between Barca and Kielce.

Sadly, I think it's a no-commentary match but it should be properly tasty. Barca never lose at home but there's a possibility this time ... just a possibility ...

On 13/11/2021 at 18:40, gingerjon said:

It seems that a selling point to be a korfball player in England would be that as it's a minority sport in every country it's played that not only international honours, but actual medals, could be forthcoming. I see that England finished fourth in the most recent Euros for example.

It's a good comparison in terms of numbers. Looking at the maps and clubs, I'd say they're pretty close but I suspect you're right that korfball has more.

Anyway, I don't much care, as Dunkerque fluked past Nancy last night and I was very happy as a result. 

I played korfball, I ended up playing for my university (Birmingham) in the national championships, though we did finish last.

From memory the sport has a relatively strong set up in London and Kent but in the rest of the country it's distribution is very varied. If there's a local university playing then you'll get a local league that is a mixture of university sides plus local clubs set up by graduates from the university. If there isn't a local university playing then there's usually no teams at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bowes said:

I played korfball, I ended up playing for my university (Birmingham) in the national championships, though we did finish last.

From memory the sport has a relatively strong set up in London and Kent but in the rest of the country it's distribution is very varied. If there's a local university playing then you'll get a local league that is a mixture of university sides plus local clubs set up by graduates from the university. If there isn't a local university playing then there's usually no teams at all.

Yes, six clubs around Cambridge, each with multiple teams. I suspect that's more likely people who've moved here from elsewhere than graduates of Cambridge itself though.

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

My Dunkerque boys five up away in Istres ... fifteen minutes to go ...

And glorious victory assured by eight goals.

In unrelated asides: Kielce did win, and impressively so, meanwhile Porto's trip to PSG turned into a bit of a nightmare as they could only manage four goals in the first half.

English commentary on the EHF Champions League Match of the Week today at 6.45pm for Aalborg vs THW Kiel ... free, as ever, on ehftv.com.

Women's World Championship begins today so we get to watch a lot of leaping until discovering who will finish second to Norway in a little under three weeks.

One match today - the hosts Spain taking on Argentina. Bet365 gives Spain a 12 goal start which seems reasonable. 'Kick off' is at 7.30pm anyway.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Filthy Germans

And, in a clunking segue, in my role as a part-time supporter of the German national team, I shall be following 'us' as we try and get some main round points against Norway this evening.

Live on ehftv from 7.30pm.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I didnt even know it existed 😄 

the thread that is..  used to do many a central european business trip (or skiing holiday) and handball was one of those things that was a banker on the tv that you didnt need to care what language the station was in, always enjoyable. 

4 hours ago, RP London said:

I didnt even know it existed 😄 

the thread that is..  used to do many a central european business trip (or skiing holiday) and handball was one of those things that was a banker on the tv that you didnt need to care what language the station was in, always enjoyable. 

Regular games on Viaplay with English commentary.

Meanwhile, those of us sad enough to have a handballfr.tv subscription and care about the result are enjoying Dunkerque being 21:13 up on Limoges.

• Like 1